Stock 2013 Ford Focus ST Drag Run - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Autocross racing is generally cheaper than drag racing depending on your region and a LOT more fun...
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
Hondaracer8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102671
What I Drive: 07 Focus Dtech 2.0 Automatic sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Hondaracer8 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
Reaction time has nothing to do with the 1/4 mile time. You can sit at the light for a full minute and your time doesn't actually start til your car moves forward and you'd still run the same even if you hit a perfect light. The reaction time is simply the time it takes you to break the beams and no bearing on the 1/4 mile. The ST will not run a 13 in showroom stock trim.
So what's it going to take to get it under 14? Plan on taking on speeds in the 1/4
Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
Autocross racing is generally cheaper than drag racing depending on your region and a LOT more fun...
If it's just bracket racing at the strip it'll just cost the price of admission with a stock car but if you want to go faster the cost will keep going up. With autoxing you have to be mindful of mods if you want to compete in a certain class and be competitive but with my experiences autoxing costs involve mostly tires,rims and brakes even if the car is in the stock classes.

The only problem with both sports is the waiting around for just a handful of runs (usually only 3 with autoxing) but with a dragstrip it works better for the spectators and is a permenant facility while autoxing around here is setup in random parking lots around the state. Yes,turning does add alot more fun to the drives but wasn't as accessible for me when I had a nice NHRA facility 10 minutes from my house.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #24
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer8 View Post
So what's it going to take to get it under 14? Plan on taking on speeds in the 1/4
Without removing interior pieces your looking at more flow through the engine and up the boost but I'm not sure how much more boost you can apply to the OEM turbo but I'm sure a 13 is easy with just a few simple upgrades. I threw a catback,intake and a boost controller on my Eclipse and dropped a second and a half off my 1/4 then the stock clutch promptly threw in the towel so a heavier clutch was needed at that point and doubled my costs.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #25
RazorbackMustang
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102875
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus, 2011 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 RazorbackMustang Good Standing Member
Quote:
I disagree. Autocross is not very much fun for me. Hell, I do about the same just navigating the parking lot at the local Walmart. I like to get the speed of the car up, run through the gears, not weave around a parking lot in 2nd gear at 35mph.

I can go drag racing for $15 and unlimited runs. The absolute cheapest I've ever seen an Autocross is $35 and I get 6 runs.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #26
Buickboy
br/o/stang

Fan#: 28542
What I Drive: 72 Skylark, '12 Mustang

FF Reputation: 39 Buickboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Quote:
both are a lot of fun. anything where you learn to be a better driver and see what the car can do is fun. numbers are fun.

I dont see why someone should turn their nose up at a cheap and easy form of racing
Old 09-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #27
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
I just don't see the point in buying a $25k+ vehicle with these kinds of abilities and wasting your time running 14 second 1/4 mile times...
Especially coming from someone who's already got a car made for drag racing (2011 Mustang, according to your signature)

Obviously, this is America and you're welcome to spend your money however you like but I still miss the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buickboy
I dont see why someone should turn their nose up at a cheap and easy form of racing
I'm not turning my nose up at drag racing, I'm trying to understand why someone would buy a car designed for corner carving and ONLY drag race it.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #28
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Who said somebody was only going to drag race it? The nice thing about 1/4 mile times is you can make comparisons across the country with fellow drivers since the strip is consistent but all autox courses are designed different so it's harder to trash talk.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #29
RazorbackMustang
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102875
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus, 2011 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 RazorbackMustang Good Standing Member
As I mentioned earlier, I'm not buying this car to do ANY sort of racing. It has four doors, has sporty handling, reasonable power, and it looks good. I have two kids to haul around. I will take it to the dragstrip once, at my wife's request because she wants to see what it'll do. I will not be modding the ST at all. It's a fun daily driver car to me, that's it. I'm super pumped for it to actually arrive because it's a gonna be a blast to have as a daily. That and I've turned out to be not a huge fan of my current SVTF.

To each their own man. We can all get along.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #30
Buickboy
br/o/stang

Fan#: 28542
What I Drive: 72 Skylark, '12 Mustang

FF Reputation: 39 Buickboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Quote:
I just don't see the point in buying a $25k+ vehicle with these kinds of abilities and wasting your time running 14 second 1/4 mile times...
Especially coming from someone who's already got a car made for drag racing (2011 Mustang, according to your signature)

Obviously, this is America and you're welcome to spend your money however you like but I still miss the point.

I'm not turning my nose up at drag racing, I'm trying to understand why someone would buy a car designed for corner carving and ONLY drag race it.
I haven't read a thing about people buying these JUST to drag race. There's no harm in running it anyway

I'm sure these will be pretty quick once the tuning options come out and someone bolts up a set of drag tires

Mustang's a 2012 and will be auto-x'd btw. No sense in limiting a car to one kind of track

Bookmarks & Social Networks