2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 115 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #1141
lforgue8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99706
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus 5dr SE sport

FF Reputation: 1 lforgue8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ive read through most of this thread and cant belive that Ford isnt doing more to fix this. I read the other day that Ford sold close to 500,000 focus' this past year and its not one of there top priorities! My car is in for service today for the second time(6000 miles) so we'll see what happens, but when i had my car up for an oil change i could hear noise from the steering rack if i hit the tire in the same plane as the tie rod end. i noted this to the dealer and they were going to tell techline about it and got a repsonce to further diagnose the noise. but im not sure if it had to do with a TSB. I also PM'd fordcustomerservice with the dealers name so we'll see what happens there too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #1142
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My Focus goes in for the TSB fix for the clunk... We'll see if it fixes anything an how long it stays fixed.
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 09-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #1143
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Just an update on my attempts to get a response from ford regarding the fact that the TSB basically only worked for a few days. It did in fact work very well for a few days though.

I talked to "Brian" (I love how these guys have fake names) my "regional service rep" and he said that ford takes the problem very seriously, and they are documenting everything and the engineers are working on it. He would not let me write to the engineering team directly, so who knows if they are getting any kind of real info from the phone guys like "Brian"

The service manager at heller ford in Escondido talked pretty tough about being a car guy who could figure it out, and said things like "it's not rocket science" and "this is what I DO" has not responded to my two emails asking what the next step might be. Surprise surprise.

Since its heat sensitive, mine is only bad in the early morning and at night. It's been in the 90s here lately. Still the silence from ford is deafening. At he very least I think I should be getting something like a response from ford saying that he don't have an engineering solution yet, but they have my name and case number and will keep me updated as to progress on the problem. Then at least I would think it mattered to somebody.

I would think that this much forum activity would impact sales to some degree.

It seems that it would be cheaper for ford to just put aftermarket parts on it. The TSB must cost them about 1000 bucks or so. It all has to come off, so why not just put konis or bilsteins and call it a free upgrade? Everybody wins.
That's a no-brainer. Some sort of brain power-outage going on there. Maybe it's legal or something.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #1144
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
It seems that it would be cheaper for ford to just put aftermarket parts on it.
I've always wondered about the ST suspension set up if any part numbers are the same or if it is a completely different set up. (They could just put those parts on!) I'm waiting to hear anyone owning an ST that they have the clunk as well, bahahahahaha
Old 09-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #1145
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
My car is going back in on Friday. The dealer said all the parts are now in.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #1146
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Finally a permanent fix to this issue!
Just did the deal on a 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T Limited,

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Old 09-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #1147
jrn146
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 275
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red SE 5 door 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 jrn146 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog05 View Post
Reading through all the pages of people having issues is really disheartening. I'm wondering at what point all these vehicles can be considered "lemons"? In Texas, I believe the dealership gets 3 tries to fix an issue and after it's not repaired it should "technically" be considered a "Lemon." Does it have to be a safety issue to qualify? It seems to be that a suspension issue should be somewhat dangerous.

I must say, I hate this car. I can't get into it without something making a noise: headliner, air vents, sunglasses holder, etc. I should have bought a cash car because then at least the rattles would be warranted.
It must be the cars that have the optional overhead console. I have the standard headliner and I have to say that my car besides the front end noise is tight and rattle free so far. Here's hoping it stays that way.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #1148
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
I've always wondered about the ST suspension set up if any part numbers are the same or if it is a completely different set up. (They could just put those parts on!) I'm waiting to hear anyone owning an ST that they have the clunk as well, bahahahahaha
As soon as the strut bearings come off of national backorder, I'll have an answer for you.

I have the ST shocks, struts, and top mounts sitting in my dining room right now.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #1149
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksarnstrom View Post
...That is the date (9/15) my dealer gave me. With that said they called me this morning and the part came in. Sounds like they were waiting on the bearing. I have yet to make an appointment. Once I get the TSB done I'll send you all that info you wanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
My car is going back in on Friday. The dealer said all the parts are now in.
Excellent; please let me know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
12B37 did not show up as required on ETIS, Ford owner, syncmyride,or any other source I was able to acess for my vehicle's vin number, so I would have to presume that the car was built with the latest specific transmission abs and power train calibrations available at this time.
Always verify this with your dealer. Since 12B37 is a Customer Satisfaction Program, it may not show up by checking these sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
The SGM Hatch with the Bright Green offset stripes goes in to have the TSB performed on Thursday!
Today is the day! How did it go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantheman2012 View Post
Well...I def have the clunk back on the drivers side. I haven't heard it on the pass side yet. Both sides were clunking originally.

I'm not sure going back to the dealer will help at this point? What else can they really do? The TSB hasn't worked...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantheman2012 View Post
...I actually love the car aside from this and the weird MFT at times. (but it still sounds awesome)...
If you've worked with the regional CSM before, I recommend contacting him/her to see what the next steps are. If not, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer name; I'll look into it. If you haven't done so, please contact our Ford In-Vehicle Technology team for further assistance on the MFT issues: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/member.php?u=87765.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2BIG View Post
My car was built in may should I be concerned about this?
Don't be concerned, be happy. If you detect anything, please PM me and I'll assist you further. In the meantime, grab this badge to rep your Focus love: http://social.ford.com/grab-a-badge/focus/yes/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNBradow View Post
I have the same problem as everybody else. A clunk that drives me crazy and the parts are on backorder. What I really would like to know is this a safety concern? Will the clunk get worse until the wheel falls off? Does the wheel need to fall off for Ford to fix the issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNBradow View Post
...I did take my car in and they did hear the clunk and did tell me they have never had a focus with this issue. It is frustrating that 1) its a new car (2200 miles) 2) Ford seems none to worried their cars are broken...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
Short answer, No. It is not a safety issue. They will tell that to your face if/when you take your car in. The only thing I can respond with is no, the wheel won't fall off...
We're very worried about product quality, customer safety, and overall satisfaction. Did the parts come in yet, JNBradow? If not, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer name; I'll forward the details to your Customer Service Manager.

Thanks for responding, wilsonfocus86!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klotche View Post
I have the same issue, I thought it was the motor support that isn't tight enough.. probably when the car lurch or when you brake etc. it might make the engine clunk
I'd like to escalate this with your area's Customer Service Manager; please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, dealer name, and a brief description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog05 View Post
...I must say, I hate this car. I can't get into it without something making a noise: headliner, air vents, sunglasses holder, etc...
When was the last time you talked to the CSM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lforgue8 View Post
...My car is in for service today for the second time(6000 miles) so we'll see what happens, but when i had my car up for an oil change i could hear noise from the steering rack if i hit the tire in the same plane as the tie rod end. i noted this to the dealer and they were going to tell techline about it and got a repsonce to further diagnose the noise. but im not sure if it had to do with a TSB. I also PM'd fordcustomerservice with the dealers name so we'll see what happens there too.
Please PM me when you hear from the CSM. Visit our Ford Owner site to save on routine maintenance, view vehicle information, schedule service appointments, etc: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten.../Page/HomePage.

Quote:
...I talked to "Brian" (I love how these guys have fake names) my "regional service rep" and he said that ford takes the problem very seriously, and they are documenting everything and the engineers are working on it...

...Still the silence from ford is deafening. At he very least I think I should be getting something like a response from ford saying that he don't have an engineering solution yet, but they have my name and case number and will keep me updated as to progress on the problem. Then at least I would think it mattered to somebody...
I agree with everything that Brian and you have said. When I have more information on this, I'll treat it case by case. Your CSM will then advise you on the next steps to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
Finally a permanent fix to this issue!
Just did the deal on a 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T Limited...
Congrats on your new vehicle purchase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbology View Post
...Has anybody had the clunk fixed? Like some others have said, I had the strut bearings and springs replaced and I still hear clunks when going over a bump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
The short answer is no. I had both springs and bearings replaced and the noise returned in less than 1 month...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn146 View Post
...I have to say that my car besides the front end noise is tight and rattle free so far. Here's hoping it stays that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang74shelby View Post
I don't think so and I also don't think FORD gives a Flying F'K if it gets fixed or not...
Quote:
...I had the TSB done, and the clunk did go away for a while but returned as soon as the temperature went below 72 degrees. I will say that steering is much better after the TSB. It was noisy, binding, lumpy, and all of that is one now. That would be the bearings of course, so he TSB is good for something. The springs are quieter going of speed bumps now too, so I guess that part of the TSB was worthwhile. The TSB simply does address the clunking, loose, falling apart, 15 year old car vibe, which is simply not acceptable for a new modern car...
Many owners have had the clunk fixed with this TSB.

If any of you are still experiencing a front-end noise/clunk after having this TSB performed on your Focus, please PM me your VIN and I'll document it for further review.

Thanks,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Last edited by FordService; 09-06-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: format
Old 09-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #1150
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post

Always verify this with your dealer. Since 12B37 is a Customer Satisfaction Program, it may not show up by checking these sources.

Thanks,

Thomas
It wouldn't show up becasue it was built outside the date range in question. The gearbox was also built on or after 3/30/12 at least per the getrag ford sticker I can see on one of the harnesses near the top of the transmission case. So far I don't really have a concern with the way the car shifts, but that could change tomorrow if what the others with complaints say is true.

The CSM who contacted me about the seats just tried to tell me to take it back to the dealer, but first they gave me some sort of lie about how the seat was supposed to be colder than what the service documents say it should be. I would take it back to the dealer but they were not interested in looking at it at a time when I am available to deliver the car, they want me to leave the car, and I can't do this without transportation. I paid good money for this car and I'd like it to work properly and for a long time. The tires also seem terribly loud at 50-65 mph on semi smooth and rough pavement, sometimes they are quiet, other times its unbearably loud and ruins the quiet and quality feel of the car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks