Winter tires and insurance for your new ST - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
DardenUnited
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99045
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 DardenUnited Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Winter tires and insurance for your new ST

These two aren't exactly related but they are issues that came up for me as I picked up my ST2, so I wanted to put them out here for the board's collective wisdom.

1. I'm with AAA and they were able to manually enter the car, but I've yet to receive any quote or confirmation. They sent a certificate of insurance form to the dealership so I was able to drive it off the lot, but that was it. State Farm was able to quote it for me as it found the ST in its system by VIN unlike the others, but it basically gave me a red-light quote (over $7K/year). Curious to see what the experience was like for the folks here.

2. I've been advised to check out 235/45-17 Dunlop WinterSport 3D ($744/four on Tirerack). Any good (cheaper?) alternatives? Also, what wheels would you recommend if I were to get a set? I like the look of the smaller Fiesta wheels (the five-section snowflake) but the bolt pattern doesn't fit the ST. I would probably want to go as small as possible (WRC reasoning), so 16s?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,881, Level 66
Points: 9,881, Level: 66 Points: 9,881, Level: 66 Points: 9,881, Level: 66
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
You have to be careful in fitting wheels, 15" wheels likely won't fit as the brake disks are larger than those of the standard 2012+ Focus for greater stopping power. You'll have to ensure clearance to the rotors before purchasing as set of winter wheels and tires.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
DardenUnited
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Yeah, 15s are too small from what I've heard.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Schroeder02

Fan#: 53191
What I Drive: 2013 Red ST & 2009 Focus Race Car

Points 5,488, Level 47
Points: 5,488, Level: 47 Points: 5,488, Level: 47 Points: 5,488, Level: 47
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 62 Schroeder02 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
I think 16’ steelies that are offered on the regular focus will fit just fine.

I have a set of General Altimax Arctic on my other car they worked really well for what little show we had in MD last winter.

I had no truble with insurance state farm added on Tuesday and it 900 a year just slightly more then my other car.

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
DardenUnited
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder02 View Post

I have a set of General Altimax Arctic on my other car they worked really well for what little show we had in MD last winter.

I had no truble with insurance state farm added on Tuesday and it 900 a year just slightly more then my other car.
I'm not 100% positive I want steelies. I'd be happy with any number of Focus wheels, though. Been looking around on Craigslist for sets but nothing I'd run out and grab yet - plus now I'm beginning to understand that even if it's a five-bolt setup, it may not work with the Focus, so I need to look for specific numbers.

Yeah, so it seems that the only feedback I've gotten so far is from people who have State Farm. That, unfortunately, doesn't work for me since they gave me a prohibitive quote. Will wait until everyone else is up to speed, I suppose.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
joshuass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43024
What I Drive: 2013 Yellow ST3

FF Reputation: 1 joshuass Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder02 View Post

Its good that you got a better quote. My mouth dropped when I saw OP's quote, since I have State Farm.
ST Crew #65
2007 Liquid Gray ST with SAP1
MODS:
FocusSport CoolFlo Intake, Balance Shaft Delete, TruBendz 2.5" SS w/ Cat, FRPP Performance Springs
Old 09-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Macky21
Focus Addict

Fan#: 75644
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White Focus ST

FF Reputation: 3 Macky21 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I got a quote from State Farm, who I'm currently with, and my premium will be less than what I paid for my SVT, which will be nice.

I'm planning on throwing winter rubber on the stock wheels when the time comes and buy a second set of wheels for summer.
Hatch Nation #116
Old 09-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
DardenUnited
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuass View Post
Its good that you got a better quote. My mouth dropped when I saw OP's quote, since I have State Farm.
So did mine. Guess living in Dearborn, coupled with one claim (ran into a parking pole with the front left quarter panel of my Subaru - dum-dum-dum-dum-dumb) and a 63 in 45 ticket in the last three years makes me uninsurable per SF.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

Points 10,801, Level 68
Points: 10,801, Level: 68 Points: 10,801, Level: 68 Points: 10,801, Level: 68
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky21 View Post
I got a quote from State Farm, who I'm currently with, and my premium will be less than what I paid for my SVT, which will be nice.

I'm planning on throwing winter rubber on the stock wheels when the time comes and buy a second set of wheels for summer.
I'd think about looking into a smaller wheel. Winter tires for those 18s aren't going to be cheap. If the car can fit 16s, you could get wheels and tires for the cost of snows on 18s. Then you can sell the stock 18s to buy the 18s you want.

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 09-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
DardenUnited
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

What are the mount specs (bolt/offset) for the wheels? I know I saw them somewhere but can't seem to find that thread...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.