Wanting a turbo - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
uzitoads
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64999
What I Drive: black 04 svt 89 supra 7m gte

FF Reputation: 1 uzitoads Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wanting a turbo

I found a spa turbo and looking at getting it I don't have no 3000 or even 2000 to drop on a turbo. And if you guy know any more let me know I have a 04 svt and a tune I have a tom tune on my car now but it all na. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
PlasticRacer
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51304
What I Drive: '02 Yellow ZX3

Points 3,900, Level 39
Points: 3,900, Level: 39 Points: 3,900, Level: 39 Points: 3,900, Level: 39
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 6 PlasticRacer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
From what I've read, the spa turbo's are famous for blown oil seal, but thats not to say no one ever has great luck with them, however, their manifolds are great, since they're cast iron. Garrett, turbonetics, ihi, holset are a few good names out there are far as turbos, and whichever model u want from any of those brands will depend on ur power goals, not my area of expertise when it comes down to the models, but the gurus will of course chime in. As far as cost. If you want a completed kit, its definitely going to cost a bit more since its a complete kit, and it of course saves you time. If you're trying to boost on a budget, like I have, then piece it together yourself. This will of course take longer, but trust me when I say having patience will certainly serve its rewards, as I've been able to find some awesome deals and I'm just about completed with my kit. Total cost so far, is around 1500, and this includes a turbo that I now have on the way, intercooler, plumbing, bov, manifold, wastegate, etc,AND a built block, most pay more than that for just the turbo kit itself, then there's the block they have to be concerned about, if they really want it to be reliable. And then there's the cost of tuning. So with what I've saved from not getting a completed kit, I can use towards other stuff, so it definitely can be done on a budget, just takes a little time. But don't get the wrong idea about complete kits, there's more benefits aside from just time you'd save, like the support if something wasn't working properly, you'd only have to go to one place, that amongst other things. But that's just my opinion and what i did, you can approach this whatever way you feel like. Best of luck to ya.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
GodLovesUgly
.Flat Out.

Fan#: 56705
What I Drive: ^^^ That!

Points 27,344, Level 97
Points: 27,344, Level: 97 Points: 27,344, Level: 97 Points: 27,344, Level: 97
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 10 GodLovesUgly Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
I don't get the question?
Do you want to know more about the SPA? or other turbos that may be out there?

IMO if you do not have at least 3500-5k to spend on a turbo kit (tuning included) don't even try it... you're setting yourself up for failure.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST

Fan#: 45311
What I Drive: '12 Fusion SE V6

FF Reputation: 24 Jgrove998 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Honestly, if you REALLY want boost.....save your money and do it right. You'll save time, headache and money because you won't buy crappy parts first then have to buy the same, good parts, again.

Tom can really help you plan a build and you can purchase things over a long period of time.
'07 ST ; formally bewst'd - R.I.P
D23 Crew: #07
Old 09-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
PlasticRacer
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51304
What I Drive: '02 Yellow ZX3

Points 3,900, Level 39
Points: 3,900, Level: 39 Points: 3,900, Level: 39 Points: 3,900, Level: 39
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 6 PlasticRacer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294533

There's your turbo kit, and depending on how many miles you have on the svt, you could run low boost until you can get the block built, tuning on top of that will probably run you around 500, so you're looking at 2k in this scenario, certainly not gonna cost u 3-5k to run a boosted setup

Bookmarks & Social Networks