Highway lane drifting - Page 23 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #221
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 frosted glass SEL '67 Gal vert.

FF Reputation: 2 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Like I said, I could be in left field with this... and the more I think of it... why would Ford go to the expense of commissioning the development (from TRW) of another, Titanium-18" wheel car specific steering rack, just for limiting steering travel.

????[/QUOTE]

To prevent back yard mechanics from defeating the limits and causing harm to other motorists and liabilities that would ensue. Way cheaper than lawsuits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #222
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerschro View Post
Like I said, I could be in left field with this... and the more I think of it... why would Ford go to the expense of commissioning the development (from TRW) of another, Titanium-18" wheel car specific steering rack, just for limiting steering travel.

To prevent back yard mechanics from defeating the limits and causing harm to other motorists and liabilities that would ensue. Way cheaper than lawsuits.
Wouldn't different steering knuckles, with an added boss that contacts, say, a point on the wishbone, be cheaper than an altogether different steering rack? Maybe the different steering rack has a higher performance aspect to it... and is not related to turning circle / steering rack travel limits.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #223
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurofordfan View Post
Wouldn't different steering knuckles, with an added boss that contacts, say, a point on the wishbone, be cheaper than an altogether different steering rack? Maybe the different steering rack has a higher performance aspect to it... and is not related to turning circle / steering rack travel limits.
That makes more sense! The 18s only come with the handling package so a different rack could be a part of it and not just tires and suspension components.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:55 AM   #224
sergheirom
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94617
What I Drive: 2011 Moondust Silver 1.6

FF Reputation: 1 sergheirom Good Standing Member
Found!!!

Solution for this is switching off of the EPAS steering compensation function.

Just go to your dealer and ask to switch off the EPAS steering compensation and that's all.

After that the steering rack do not compensate the displacement.

I checked the car on 140 km/h and it works very well on the same highway where I was lane drifting.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #225
flygry1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86605
What I Drive: 2012 se sedan sterling grey

FF Reputation: 1 flygry1 Good Standing Member
Hi

I have an early (March 2011) build 2012 and it had wandering problems from day 1. Had the dealer replace the rack assy under the tsb and it was fine untill just recently. Now I'm experiencing "binding or sticking" with the wheel centered at highway speeds on a straight road. You need to jerk the wheel to move it & this causes dangerous wandering issues.
Took it to dealer and he says he can't duplicate problem and is reluctant to do anything
Any suggestions on next step. This is very frustrating.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #226
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygry1 View Post
Hi

I have an early (March 2011) build 2012 and it had wandering problems from day 1. Had the dealer replace the rack assy under the tsb and it was fine untill just recently. Now I'm experiencing "binding or sticking" with the wheel centered at highway speeds on a straight road. You need to jerk the wheel to move it & this causes dangerous wandering issues.
Took it to dealer and he says he can't duplicate problem and is reluctant to do anything
Any suggestions on next step. This is very frustrating.
It is critical to have the bolts properly torqued when installing. I'd bet they didn't do that and it is now causing problems. I'd tell them to replace ALL bolts with the proper ones AND to torque to the specifications as noted in the TSB.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #227
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokz316 View Post
i took mine for the same lane drifting/wandering issue and showed them the TSB and they took it in and did the TSB and found something else.. they had to special order a new sway bar as they found out that on the same TSB it noted that for 12'Focus build prior to Nov. 2011 sway bar was to be put/replaced. after the day the was over, got back my car and did not recieve any additional bill.. the statement i got was for $0 as it was covered by the warranty.
My 2012 Titanium went in the dealer to get the steering repaired, the problem was mainly that when driving on highways with rain grooves running parallel to the direction of travel the car would wander dangerously. I think the EPS steering rack was replaced. That problem is repaired but now when highway driving in a cross wind (winds perpendicular to the direction of travel), even moderate winds, the cars wanders pretty severely. I have had other people drive the car and they report the same thing driving in cross winds so it's not a case of me getting used to it. It happens more severely than in other cars in cross winds. I'll have to read the rest of this 23 page thread to investigate this TSB and see what that's about but my car was built in Dec. 2011.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #228
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
My 2012 Titanium went in the dealer to get the steering repaired, the problem was mainly that when driving on highways with rain grooves running parallel to the direction of travel the car would wander dangerously. I think the EPS steering rack was replaced. That problem is repaired but now when highway driving in a cross wind (winds perpendicular to the direction of travel), even moderate winds, the cars wanders pretty severely. I have had other people drive the car and they report the same thing driving in cross winds so it's not a case of me getting used to it. It happens more severely than in other cars in cross winds. I'll have to read the rest of this 23 page thread to investigate this TSB and see what that's about but my car was built in Dec. 2011.
My car does both of these - wandering with rain grooves or moderate cross winds. I'm not even going to try to take it to the dealer - they've obviously had enough of me. May 2011 build.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #229
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
My car does both of these - wandering with rain grooves or moderate cross winds. I'm not even going to try to take it to the dealer - they've obviously had enough of me. May 2011 build.
My car does this too ever since I got the new steering rack in september. I salute your ability to live with this...because I cannot.

It is ridiculous how much steering is needed to NOT CRASH FOR NO REASON OTHER THAN THE EPS BEING STUPID.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #230
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
My car does this too ever since I got the new steering rack in september. I salute your ability to live with this...because I cannot.

It is ridiculous how much steering is needed to NOT CRASH FOR NO REASON OTHER THAN THE EPS BEING STUPID.
My Ti was built in 5/2011 and the steering feel is perfect.

One has to wonder if the issue is the replacement steering racks or could it be that the EPAS is very sensitive to alignment (especially toe).

Bookmarks & Social Networks