Optimizing Accel and Decel - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #21
VOLDAR
Focus Addict
 
VOLDAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90444
Location: Montreal, Canada
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

Posts: 1,159
FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Gotcha. I think what gets lost there though is you have to continue at cruising speed further before coasting in gear in order to reach a stop at the same speed as if you had started coasting in nuetral earlier. So you may burn 1 gal/hr for 20 seconds and then burn no fuel for 40 seconds. As opposed to burning 0.25 gal/hr for 60 seconds while coasting in nuetral. You can see in that very simple, generalized scenario coasting in neutral has a clear advantage - about half the fuel burn of coasting in gear. That's what my own simple test reinforced.
Great. I am not a "hypermiler" and I don't coast in neutral with my DCT, but it is a good finding
I did coast in N from time to time when I was driving MT, but never with an AT. I always thought that the AT are not made for D to N and N to D switch endlesly.
__________________
White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat
303A, 6-Speed SelectShift Automatic, 17" Aluminum wheels, Luxury Package,
Parking Technology, Navigation, Winter Package
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
VOLDAR is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #22
kam327
-----<M>-----
 
kam327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94700
Location: Tampa, FL
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Posts: 2,403
Points 5,915, Level 49
Points: 5,915, Level: 49 Points: 5,915, Level: 49 Points: 5,915, Level: 49
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
I always thought that the AT are not made for D to N and N to D endlesly.
Oh yeah, I wouldn't go from N back into D while at speed. This is just for when you know you're going to have to stop well in advance. I wouldn't do it before light which could turn green before you come to a complete stop.
kam327 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #23
YesMAN
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102901
Location: Hoboken, NJ
What I Drive: '12 SEL

Posts: 50
FF Reputation: 1 YesMAN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Interesting analysis. I'll probably still gun it all the time though.

That's counterintuitive about the coasting in neutral vs in gear. Not sure how practical coasting in neutral will be where I drive, but good to have the info rattling around in the back of the noggin nonetheless.
YesMAN is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #24
jsr72
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97393
Location: n/a, United States
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

Posts: 267
Points 142, Level 2
Points: 142, Level: 2 Points: 142, Level: 2 Points: 142, Level: 2
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 5 jsr72 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Well you're right it's very strange. Actually there's 3 CPC tires listed in that size. Two are listed as LRR.
One of those LRR tires is an XL tire. The other is an SL.
jsr72 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #25
dbenney
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Fan#: 1195
Location: Lansing, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

Posts: 285
Points 895, Level 15
Points: 895, Level: 15 Points: 895, Level: 15 Points: 895, Level: 15
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 5 dbenney Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
But on more rural roads with a known stop sign way up ahead, neutral is the way to go.
You will always get better avg mpg coasting in N vs D or S... this is due to RPM. Coasting in N is like putting the clutch in on a manual trans. As soon as you put it into N your RPM drops to idle, where as if you leave it in D or S your RPM is matched per gear and vehicle speed programming. as you slow down the auto will downshift raising the RPM... the higher the RPM the lower the MPG and vice versa.
dbenney is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #26
Fresh1
Focus Enthusiast
 
Fresh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102640
Location: Ottawa, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Sedan

Posts: 89
FF Reputation: 1 Fresh1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenney View Post
You will always get better avg mpg coasting in N vs D or S... this is due to RPM. Coasting in N is like putting the clutch in on a manual trans. As soon as you put it into N your RPM drops to idle, where as if you leave it in D or S your RPM is matched per gear and vehicle speed programming. as you slow down the auto will downshift raising the RPM... the higher the RPM the lower the MPG and vice versa.
I think the OP wanted to test the effectiveness of fuel cut-off during deceleration. This is why it's strange that the fuel consumption was higher in gear. If the fuel is cut off (regardless of engine RPM), it should burn NO fuel - vs. engine at idle speed in N. Anyone know what's goin' on? ...
Fresh1 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #27
Fresh1
Focus Enthusiast
 
Fresh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102640
Location: Ottawa, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Sedan

Posts: 89
FF Reputation: 1 Fresh1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1 View Post
I think the OP wanted to test the effectiveness of fuel cut-off during deceleration. This is why it's strange that the fuel consumption was higher in gear. If the fuel is cut off (regardless of engine RPM), it should burn NO fuel - vs. engine at idle speed in N. Anyone know what's goin' on? ...
Well, here's a theory (to answer my own question ;) ...
Maybe when decelerating in gear, the vacuum generated by the piston downstroke sucks in blowby gasses back into the cylinder/combustion chamber, and then sends them out through the exhaust during the upstroke. So, maybe the Scanguage just "thinks" more fuel is being burned at this time, but it isn't? ...
Fresh1 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #28
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94835
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

Posts: 360
FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1 View Post
Well, here's a theory (to answer my own question ;) ...
Maybe when decelerating in gear, the vacuum generated by the piston downstroke sucks in blowby gasses back into the cylinder/combustion chamber, and then sends them out through the exhaust during the upstroke. So, maybe the Scanguage just "thinks" more fuel is being burned at this time, but it isn't? ...
^ This
I think you have yourself the answer, our F150 (With the "gas guzzling" 5.4) has this technology (as opposed to the multi cylinder displacement crap that GM and Dodge use) and it works. When deacelerating in gear in our truck, it effectively "shuts off" fuel to engine and uses road speed (and the transmission) to continue to propel the vehicle forward while coasting (as long as possible anyway). To keep the engine "running" without new fuel, it uses compression and EGR system. We do notice a difference by "coasting" in gear to stop signs etc... I bet the Scanguage is not configured with those parameters and is merely measuring the amount of vacuum in the intake.
__________________
2012 Focus SEL 5 door 303a w/Lux pkg in KonaBlue
2012 Escape Limited w/park assist
2010 F150 Supercrew XTR 5.4 4x4
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
pozi240 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #29
kam327
-----<M>-----
 
kam327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94700
Location: Tampa, FL
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Posts: 2,403
Points 5,915, Level 49
Points: 5,915, Level: 49 Points: 5,915, Level: 49 Points: 5,915, Level: 49
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1 View Post
I think the OP wanted to test the effectiveness of fuel cut-off during deceleration. This is why it's strange that the fuel consumption was higher in gear. If the fuel is cut off (regardless of engine RPM), it should burn NO fuel - vs. engine at idle speed in N. Anyone know what's goin' on? ...
It can be explained very easily. The main assumption here is that you have to travel further at speed before coasting in gear in order to reach the stop sign at the same speed you would reach it coasting in neutral, since you'll decelerate more quickly in gear than in neutral.

The Focus burns say roughly 0.3 gal/hr at idle, and roughly 1.3 gal/hr at 45 mph (I'd have to confirm these numbers but rough order of magnitude they're pretty good).

In the coast in neutral scenario, you're burning 0.3 gal/hr for the full 60 seconds to the stop for a total burn of 0.005 gal. In the coast in gear scenario, you're burning 1.3 gal/hr for say the first 20 seconds and then 0 gal/hr for the next 40 seconds for a total burn of 0.0072 gal, a 44% increase over the coast in neutral scenario.



Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
^ This
I think you have yourself the answer, our F150 (With the "gas guzzling" 5.4) has this technology (as opposed to the multi cylinder displacement crap that GM and Dodge use) and it works. When deacelerating in gear in our truck, it effectively "shuts off" fuel to engine and uses road speed (and the transmission) to continue to propel the vehicle forward while coasting (as long as possible anyway). To keep the engine "running" without new fuel, it uses compression and EGR system. We do notice a difference by "coasting" in gear to stop signs etc... I bet the Scanguage is not configured with those parameters and is merely measuring the amount of vacuum in the intake.
Yes of course there is a difference by coasting in gear versus speeding up to a stop and then slamming on the brakes. The point is that theoretically you can do slightly better by coasting in neutral.
kam327 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #30
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,575
Points 9,574, Level 65
Points: 9,574, Level: 65 Points: 9,574, Level: 65 Points: 9,574, Level: 65
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
It can be explained very easily. The main assumption here is that you have to travel further at speed before coasting in gear in order to reach the stop sign at the same speed you would reach it coasting in neutral, since you'll decelerate more quickly in gear than in neutral.

The Focus burns say roughly 0.3 gal/hr at idle, and roughly 1.3 gal/hr at 45 mph (I'd have to confirm these numbers but rough order of magnitude they're pretty good).

In the coast in neutral scenario, you're burning 0.3 gal/hr for the full 60 seconds to the stop for a total burn of 0.005 gal. In the coast in gear scenario, you're burning 1.3 gal/hr for say the first 20 seconds and then 0 gal/hr for the next 40 seconds for a total burn of 0.0072 gal, a 44% increase over the coast in neutral scenario.





Yes of course there is a difference by coasting in gear versus speeding up to a stop and then slamming on the brakes. The point is that theoretically you can do slightly better by coasting in neutral.
The question is what if you're going to have to stop anyway, why would you hold the higher speed longer before coasting in gear vs coasting in neutral to try and maintain a higher speed at the end of the coast?
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.