Optimizing Accel and Decel - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
So it all depends on how far you can coast, longer coasts are better in neutral but potentially shorter ones are better in gear
Oh yeah I mean honestly I'll still coast in gear to most lights because I don't want to be stuck in neutral if the light turns green. But on more rural roads with a known stop sign way up ahead, neutral is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorZ View Post
Cool stuff! One thing I noticed about this car is that even in gear on a flat surface it coasts a much longer distance than any other car I've owned, and I use that frequently now to boost my mileage.
Makes sense, given the LRR tires (assuming you don't have the Ti handling package) and slippery form.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Oh yeah I mean honestly I'll still coast in gear to most lights because I don't want to be stuck in neutral if the light turns green. But on more rural roads with a known stop sign way up ahead, neutral is the way to go.

Makes sense, given the LRR tires (assuming you don't have the Ti handling package) and slippery form.
The Pilot Sport 3 tire is a Green-X lrr summer performance tire though. The standard Conti procontact tires are not lrr, only the 18" PS3s and the 16" SFE specific tires.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The Pilot Sport 3 tire is a Green-X lrr summer performance tire though. The standard Conti procontact tires are not lrr, only the 18" PS3s and the 16" SFE specific tires.
Maybe not in the marketing, but Consumer Reports gave it a "very good" rolling resistance rating. Only 2 other tires in its class received a higher "excellent" rating.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
Buickboy
br/o/stang

Fan#: 28542
What I Drive: 72 Skylark, '12 Mustang

FF Reputation: 39 Buickboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
great data! happy to see that coasting in neutral is the way to go (as i thought)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
Borski
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100013
What I Drive: 2012 Focus - Black - SE

FF Reputation: 1 Borski Good Standing Member
Good work OP.

Just wondering, you doing this on a manual or auto?

Sent from my Motorola Atrix via FF Mobile
Old 09-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Also tirerack indicates the ProContacts in the sizes that fit the Focus 16" and 17" wheels "feature low rolling resistance technology." Didn't know certain sizes of a tire line could be LRR while other sizes aren't, but..... there you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post
Good work OP.

Just wondering, you doing this on a manual or auto?

Sent from my Motorola Atrix via FF Mobile
Thanks. Sorry, should've specified - auto and 17" ContiProContacts.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #17
suss6052
Focus Addict

Quote:
Also tirerack indicates the ProContacts in the sizes that fit the Focus 16" and 17" wheels "feature low rolling resistance technology." Didn't know certain sizes of a tire line could be LRR while other sizes aren't, but..... there you go.
If they were not different in the 16" size why were they charging $495 in 2012, and $95 in 2013, the most important of the other changes were actually made standard on the other models including the active grille shutter system. Tire rack also listed two different 16" contiprocontact tires in the o.e. fitment, one is lrr, one is not afaik.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #18
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
If they were not different in the 16" size why were they charging $495 in 2012, and $95 in 2013, the most important of the other changes were actually made standard on the other models including the active grille shutter system. Tire rack also listed two different 16" contiprocontact tires in the o.e. fitment, one is lrr, one is not afaik.
I've got two words for you. Rip. Off.

Seriously, I was just on tirerack and there's no OEM tire listed for the SE w SFE package, even though that option is in the dropdown menu. And only one OEM tire is listed for the regular SE, the CPC.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
suss6052
Focus Addict

Quote:
I've got two words for you. Rip. Off.

Seriously, I was just on tirerack and there's no OEM tire listed for the SE w SFE package, even though that option is in the dropdown menu. And only one OEM tire is listed for the regular SE, the CPC.
There are two seperate continental procontact tires listed on tire rack in the o.e. size, although they only code one as an O.E. tire for some reason.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nomy%20Package
These are LRR and are $133 a piece, they are not listed as O.E. fitment to the SE-SFE, but since they are the only LRR continentals listed in this fitment it kind of has to be these, they also have a poorer wear rating of 400 AA A.

The offical O.E. contiprocontact tires are $118 each from tire rack, and are not rated as lrr at all. They have a wear rating of 500 AA A
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....conomy Package

Now the question is why are they using two seperate tires where one would do?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #20
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
There are two seperate continental procontact tires listed on tire rack in the o.e. size, although they only code one as an O.E. tire for some reason.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nomy%20Package
These are LRR and are $133 a piece, they are not listed as O.E. fitment to the SE-SFE, but since they are the only LRR continentals listed in this fitment it kind of has to be these, they also have a poorer wear rating of 400 AA A.

The offical O.E. contiprocontact tires are $118 each from tire rack, and are not rated as lrr at all. They have a wear rating of 500 AA A
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....conomy Package

Now the question is why are they using two seperate tires where one would do?
Well you're right it's very strange. Actually there's 3 CPC tires listed in that size. Two are listed as LRR. I know Consumer Reports lists a ContiProContact with Ecoplus Tech and gives it an excellent LRR rating. But I don't see that one on tirerack. It's a bit of a mystery.

Bookmarks & Social Networks