Oil Leak: Dealer said Ford stated This is NORMAL - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Dysan911
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95746
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

Posts: 582
FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Oil Leak: Dealer said Ford stated This is NORMAL

I took my car in because there's oil seeping from between the Engine and The Transmission. Also a very metallic rattle when the car is in 6th gear and low RPM's. Like going up an incline at almost 40mph.

I just got a call and they said the tech couldn't reproduce the noise and the Oil leak is normal. Its not oil she said,. its some sort of factory fluid that they use during assembly and quite normal for it to leak.

I have officially HEARD THEM ALL now!. THank you FORD!.

I told her that It never did that before and she said that the Tech has had quite a few cases where they saw that same leak and contacted Ford and was told that was a Normal condition of this vehicle.


Dysan911 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
cbdallas
Focus Addict
 
cbdallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100296
Location: Wylie, TX
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

Posts: 782
FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Why would they contact Ford about a leak? This sounds like a big, fat lie to me.

Take it to a different dealer, and when they fix it, call Ford & tell them this story. No car should be leaking ANY kind of fluid, regardless if it was used during assembly (which is B.S.)
cbdallas is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
scott7278
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100021
Location: St. Louis, MO
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

Posts: 907
FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
^^This.
scott7278 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
kam327
-----<M>-----
 
kam327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94700
Location: Tampa, FL
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Posts: 2,364
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
Why would they contact Ford about a leak? This sounds like a big, fat lie to me.

Take it to a different dealer, and when they fix it, call Ford & tell them this story. No car should be leaking ANY kind of fluid, regardless if it was used during assembly (which is B.S.)
Agree it sounds fishy. But why would one dealer lie to get out of fixing something under warranty when another will gladly do it? Maybe some dealers don't like taking on higher-risk warranty work?
kam327 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover
 
BetaDnB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87466
Location: Buffalo, NY
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

Posts: 1,937
FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Agree it sounds fishy. But why would one dealer lie to get out of fixing something under warranty when another will gladly do it? Maybe some dealers don't like taking on higher-risk warranty work?
The dealer I was going to wouldn't even do the washer fluid level sensor tsb because my car "isn't equipped". Went to another dealer and guess what...it was fixed.

While I agree no new vehicle should have any leaks, if you bought a Harley you'd expect it to leak oil as a normal condition.
__________________
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
BetaDnB is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88299
Location: Torrance, CA
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Posts: 2,876
FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I took my car in because there's oil seeping from between the Engine and The Transmission. Also a very metallic rattle when the car is in 6th gear and low RPM's. Like going up an incline at almost 40mph.

I just got a call and they said the tech couldn't reproduce the noise and the Oil leak is normal. Its not oil she said,. its some sort of factory fluid that they use during assembly and quite normal for it to leak.

I have officially HEARD THEM ALL now!. THank you FORD!.

I told her that It never did that before and she said that the Tech has had quite a few cases where they saw that same leak and contacted Ford and was told that was a Normal condition of this vehicle.

From TSB 11-12-13:

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Inspect the base of the transmission clutch housing for evidence of transmission fluid leak. Transmission fluid will be slick versus sticky. If the fluid leak is sticky and honey colored, it may be mistaken for engine oil or transmission lubricant. This condition may be caused by excessive rust inhibitor applied to the flywheel during manufacturing. Wipe clean the rust inhibitor from the transmission housing with Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner or equivalent.

Are you saying that the TSB is wrong or that you are sure that it wasn't rust inhibitor?
Kabigon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Fan#: 44867
Location: Ajax Ontario, Canada
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

Posts: 386
FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have the exact same problem with the oil leakage, and its also around the valve cover as well. Haven't taken it in for them to look at it yet.
gostinger is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Dysan911
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95746
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

Posts: 582
FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
From TSB 11-12-13:

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Inspect the base of the transmission clutch housing for evidence of transmission fluid leak. Transmission fluid will be slick versus sticky. If the fluid leak is sticky and honey colored, it may be mistaken for engine oil or transmission lubricant. This condition may be caused by excessive rust inhibitor applied to the flywheel during manufacturing. Wipe clean the rust inhibitor from the transmission housing with Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner or equivalent.

Are you saying that the TSB is wrong or that you are sure that it wasn't rust inhibitor?
This is precisely the TSB they're basing things off of. I showed up a little while ago to take a test ride with the actual Service Manager and of course you could barely hear the noise. He said that's normal and it's just how a manual transmission would sound if you were lugging along in too low a gear. Well you'd think the programming of the DCT would prevent that and downshift a gear. Ugh.

So we got back to the dealership and he went into research the leak and referenced another TSB that involves replacing some Seals. They told me they would order those and give me a call to bring the car back in when the parts get in. He also said there's a TSB procedure they have to run through to determine if they will proceed with the seal replacements so I'll have to wait and find out what they discover. I guess they have to be certain its truly OIL and not that rust inhibitor stuff.

So at least thats something. I'll know more in a couple weeks I guess.
Dysan911 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95246
Location: Twin Cities, MN
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

Posts: 411
FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
Why would they contact Ford about a leak? This sounds like a big, fat lie to me.

Take it to a different dealer, and when they fix it, call Ford & tell them this story. No car should be leaking ANY kind of fluid, regardless if it was used during assembly (which is B.S.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7278 View Post
^^This.
Seconded.

Mine does not leak.

Most peoples' cars don't.

Nor should they.

That dealer, or at least it's mechanical department, should feel ashamed, if nothing else more pragmatic. People really should be sick of outright lies being pawned off to paying customers, which is no way to run a business - either successfully or in any other form. Is there no ethics, no justice, no fairness, no anything anymore?
__________________
A fan of Ford, Freedom, Duncan Yo-Yos (but not Duncan Hines confectionary), and Strattera...
unfocused1 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast
 
GoldenHour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 103427
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

Posts: 352
FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Agree it sounds fishy. But why would one dealer lie to get out of fixing something under warranty when another will gladly do it? Maybe some dealers don't like taking on higher-risk warranty work?
before the warranty expired on one of my trucks i took it in and told the dealer i wanted all leaks fixed. when i got my truck back i still had a seal leaking. the reason it wasn't replaced was because the dealer felt the reimbursement wasn't high enough. after a bunch of double talk and my persistence the seal was replaced.
GoldenHour is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.