MFT Diagnostic mode - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
chaimav
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 91850
Location: Pikesville, MD
What I Drive: Sterling Gray 2012 SEL Hatch

Posts: 298
FF Reputation: 2 chaimav Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thumbs up MFT Diagnostic mode

I just found out how to get into diagnostic mode for MFT. Hold down the right seek button (to the right of the volume knob) and the CD eject button at the same time for a few seconds.

To give proper credit where credit is due, a special shout out to jimmkx2k11 of fordsyncforum who posted a link to this youtube video
[YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtOn-...layer_embedded[/YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

One cool feature is that you can see the version of all the different pieces of software you have installed


chaimav is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88299
Location: Torrance, CA
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Posts: 3,078
Points 3,786, Level 38
Points: 3,786, Level: 38 Points: 3,786, Level: 38 Points: 3,786, Level: 38
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimav View Post
I just found out how to get into diagnostic mode for MFT. Hold down the right seek button (to the right of the volume knob) and the CD eject button at the same time for a few seconds.

To give proper credit where credit is due, a special shout out to jimmkx2k11 of fordsyncforum who posted a link to this youtube video
[YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtOn-...layer_embedded[/YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

One cool feature is that you can see the version of all the different pieces of software you have installed
That procedure has been posted here several times before but a repost for newer members is not a bad thing.
Kabigon is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
knightp25
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Fan#: 61273
Location: Bridgeville, PA
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

Posts: 89
FF Reputation: 1 knightp25 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
wonder if there is a way to activate the GPS with a button combo some how
knightp25 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict
 
hotleadsingerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86687
Location: Cleveland, United States
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

Posts: 882
FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightp25 View Post
wonder if there is a way to activate the GPS with a button combo some how
What do you mean "activate" the GPS?


And yes, this Diagnostics mode has been discussed many times, but it's a good thing to know. When you put in a module that has not yet been provisioned, it's a giant button on the screen too. It was very useful in acquiring the part number for the Nav-included MFT module
hotleadsingerguy is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94835
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

Posts: 360
FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightp25 View Post
wonder if there is a way to activate the GPS with a button combo some how
The "GPS" is already active in your MFT unit. You can see that anytime by going into your Information section and selecting the "where am I" option and it will give you your actual lat/long coordinates.... its the NAV portion that people want to add in...
__________________
2012 Focus SEL 5 door 303a w/Lux pkg in KonaBlue
2012 Escape Limited w/park assist
2010 F150 Supercrew XTR 5.4 4x4
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
pozi240 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
knightp25
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Fan#: 61273
Location: Bridgeville, PA
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

Posts: 89
FF Reputation: 1 knightp25 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
thats what i meant was the NAV, should be a way to activate it.


did anyone try Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A, B, A, B, Select, Start
knightp25 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,605
Points 9,611, Level 65
Points: 9,611, Level: 65 Points: 9,611, Level: 65 Points: 9,611, Level: 65
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightp25 View Post
thats what i meant was the NAV, should be a way to activate it.


did anyone try Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A, B, A, B, Select, Start
That doesn't work, although the modules are roughly the same, only those vehicles provisioned with it at the factory and showing up in their "as-built" files are capable of performing navigation, or at least that's the line that IVT and Ford claim is true.

If you could get them to provision the module that had nav enabled you could swap it into your car, but they seem to be unwilling to even when people will offer good money for it after the fact.

Some one already proved its possible to add navigation to a mft equipped car just by taking the already provisioned and working module out of a wrecked car with navigation. Another member here even went to the trouble of buying the module outright from Ford, but they directly refused to set it up, so they may have to resort to subterfuge just to prove that it can be done.
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict
 
hotleadsingerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86687
Location: Cleveland, United States
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

Posts: 882
FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
That doesn't work, although the modules are roughly the same, only those vehicles provisioned with it at the factory and showing up in their "as-built" files are capable of performing navigation, or at least that's the line that IVT and Ford claim is true.

If you could get them to provision the module that had nav enabled you could swap it into your car, but they seem to be unwilling to even when people will offer good money for it after the fact.

Some one already proved its possible to add navigation to a mft equipped car just by taking the already provisioned and working module out of a wrecked car with navigation. Another member here even went to the trouble of buying the module outright from Ford, but they directly refused to set it up, so they may have to resort to subterfuge just to prove that it can be done.
(He's talking about me in the last sentence)

I'm getting it done today, actually. The module is at the dealership being provisioned in another car, hopefully as we converse. They provisioned it in my car the first time and it worked perfectly except for the Nav. Apparently the features of the module are installed in some kind of ad-hoc fashion, and it all streams directly from the Ford servers. This means that it checks against your VIN when it attempts the provisioning. Everything installed except for the Nav application, which he couldn't get installed.

Either way, it's sitting in a Nav-equipped car right now being provisioned, and it should be good to go either tonight or tomorrow morning for dropping it into my car. I'm currently sitting at around $1200 cost (for the module, SD card, and provisioning), but I would have gladly just given $1200 to Ford to have done it all for me in one instance. It's just too bad I have to jump through hoops to give them my money!

Either way, subterfuge does not equal illegality. Thus far I've done nothing illegal, so there would be nothing wrong with others doing this exact thing. I've even had the help of a few service techs in getting it done, so really the only shady portion is actually purchasing the module (which Ford makes it difficult to do).
hotleadsingerguy is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04
 
darkangelism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85425
Location: oklahoma city, OK
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Posts: 7,363
Points 4,298, Level 41
Points: 4,298, Level: 41 Points: 4,298, Level: 41 Points: 4,298, Level: 41
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
at least your dealer is being helpful
darkangelism is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,605
Points 9,611, Level 65
Points: 9,611, Level: 65 Points: 9,611, Level: 65 Points: 9,611, Level: 65
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Either way, subterfuge does not equal illegality. Thus far I've done nothing illegal, so there would be nothing wrong with others doing this exact thing. I've even had the help of a few service techs in getting it done, so really the only shady portion is actually purchasing the module (which Ford makes it difficult to do).
I didn't say there was anything illegal in what you were doing, after all you purchased the module outright, but its a shame that we have to play these games in order to get it to work.
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.