Replacing a thermostat and housing on a 2006 Focus ZX3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
1gambit
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 79110
What I Drive: 2006 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 1gambit Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Replacing a thermostat and housing on a 2006 Focus ZX3

I need help locating the thermostat housing on my husband's focus. It is a 2006 ZX3 with 142k. My husband drives 40 miles 1 way to work and about 32 of them are highway miles and the other 8 are very little stop and go. The check engine light comes on and the OBII code is P0128. In March I just replaced one of the radiator lines - the plastic one you can only get from the dealership and flushed the system and replaced the coolant with Peak Antifreeze & Coolant.
Before I get a new thermostat, I need to know if I need to get just the thermostat and housing or should I get the thermostat with the sensor? See my pics, as the car doesn't run hot at all, so maybe the the sensor is bad?
Tonight I took the car out to run some errands, granted it was at night and not during the heat of the day, but the highest temp I could get was 179 degrees. This was with the a/c on full blast.

With the heat on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Loeffler
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103255
What I Drive: 2010 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Loeffler Good Standing Member
This may help

A common problem with Focus coolant leaks is the thermostat housing cracking. Just changing the thermostat won't fix it. You have to change the housing as well. Here's how to do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=5aLMfD927fE
Old 09-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
1gambit
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 79110
What I Drive: 2006 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 1gambit Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loeffler View Post
This may help

A common problem with Focus coolant leaks is the thermostat housing cracking. Just changing the thermostat won't fix it. You have to change the housing as well. Here's how to do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=5aLMfD927fE
I am aware of that, if you would have read my post. There are no leaks in the system. The car operates at a lower temperature per my scanner. Plus I just cannot easily find the thermostat housing as the only photos and videos I find are of older model foci. My husband's focus is a 2006. The engine is laid out a little different than my 2003 was. Plus I am not sure if I need to replace the sensor more so than just the thermostat. So my main dilemma is do I pay $26-30 for just thermostat and housing or pay $150 for thermostat, housing and sensor. Because if I replace the the thermostat and housing and it ends up the sensor is bad, I will have to do it again to put in the sensor. I only want to take this thing apart once. It is bad enough the alternator is a pain to replace.

Bookmarks & Social Networks