Oil Change Price Specials - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
focusauto01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101157
What I Drive: 2002

FF Reputation: 1 focusauto01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Oil Change Price Specials

I used to change oil for a handful of people at my old Factory. It seems like I have less and less customers despite the high oil prices, it seems all the local oil change places such as GoodYear are doing specials around 16.00-19.00. I can't even get oil and a filter that much, much less make anything off of it? You guys noticed these deals lately?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
YesMAN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102901
What I Drive: '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 1 YesMAN Good Standing Member
Makes you wonder what quality oil and filter they're using.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
They make their money selling you other services while you get the cheap oil change. YOU might not get the $1000 brake service because they suggest you need it, but enough people do to make the cheap oil change a moneymaker in the bigger picture.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
its going to be cheaper oils/filters and cross selling. just got an ad in the mail today telling me mobil1 and their filter is on sale for $30 at advance, ill be doing that this week.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
mikebontoft
AKA "Toxx"

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
30? I believe oreillys (I should know I worked there for a brief time) had a sale on 5 quarts Mobil one conventional oil and a fram filter for $9.99 and a $5 mail in rebate. yeah.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 in progress) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-alt DD/ rally car) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod) | '75 BMW 2002 "unnamed" (donor race car) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Quote:
Getting groceries never sounded so good!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
xxMichaelAnthony
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58459
What I Drive: 2001 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 xxMichaelAnthony Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
From what friends have told me, Jiffy Lube's unwritten "company policy" is that employees must try to up sell at least $65 in other services even if they aren't needed. All lube and tune places make their money on up sells to their favourite type of customers, people who don't know shit about cars. I stay away from all these quick lube places, including Walmart, no matter what deals they have. Way to many horror stories come out of them. I stick to Midas down the street. $30 with tire rotation and everything gets done proper. Worst I've had happen from them is a cross threaded wheel stud and they over filled my oil once. And they always have filters in stock. Most quick lube places, if they don't have the proper filter in stock, will just wipe off the one that is already there and call it changed...
Old 09-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
They make their money selling you other services while you get the cheap oil change. YOU might not get the $1000 brake service because they suggest you need it, but enough people do to make the cheap oil change a moneymaker in the bigger picture.
Absolutely. They are selling this at cost, to get folks in the door.
Even if they sell other stuff to only every third person. they can make money.
Struts, shocks, tires, antifreeze flush, all sorts of stuff.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #8
DJ2BIG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49192
What I Drive: 2012 Winter Frost SE

FF Reputation: -6 DJ2BIG Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My car dealer sends out free oil changes to 3 year old customers in hopes of selling them a new car, guess what it works!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusauto01 View Post
I used to change oil for a handful of people at my old Factory. It seems like I have less and less customers despite the high oil prices, it seems all the local oil change places such as GoodYear are doing specials around 16.00-19.00. I can't even get oil and a filter that much, much less make anything off of it? You guys noticed these deals lately?
They use the cheap oil change as a loss leader...they're willing to do so by upcharging for other services.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
#1fordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83143
What I Drive: 2005 white se zx4

FF Reputation: 3 #1fordfan Good Standing Member
many many years ago against my better judgement I worked at an oil change place for a couple years. This one was an independent owner,not a franchise. This guy was honest to the core. If you tried selling a customer a new air filter,wipers,whatever,it better damn well need changed!! You took a hit in commission if you got caught selling things when it wasn't needed. This guy had a great reputation in the area and made a lot of money in his business. And he did use quality oil(pennzoil or quaker state,can't remember which). but he got huge discounts because he bought in bulk. He had a computer program that when the license plate number was entered into it,it would give the history of oil changes,air filters,whatever so you would know by mileage if it was due to be changed or even needed checked.

Bookmarks & Social Networks