DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 153 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #1521
dsuaves
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97419
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow blaze Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 dsuaves Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
very good advice i was just told it will be done thurs ill swing by wednesday and meet him
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #1522
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

Points 542, Level 10
Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuaves View Post
very good advice i was just told it will be done thurs ill swing by wednesday and meet him
Yeah, take him a coke or something. On Thursday, if he has done a great job and explains what he did and what behavior to expect and you're extra pleased, buy him some beer!

How many times do techs get thanked versus yelled at. I find getting to know them and talking to them really works well.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #1523
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuaves View Post
currently my car has been in the shop since last week. apparently something was wrong with the clutches so they are being replaced when i get the finalized work order i will posted here to see what exactly it was i was told the transmission was leaking but the car has 17000miles is this normal? well see patiently waiting enduring life without a car
Mine goes into the shop this morning so they can perform the procedure to see if it' qualifies for the TSB involving the leaky seals that can contaminate the clutch paks. 2 weeks ago I brought it to them and showed them a leak that was appearing between the Engine and Tranny but they told me it could be a rust inhibitor. This work today is to determine if it' is in fact rust inhibitor or or trans/oil.

My car makes a god awful sound when it shifts to 6th and lugs the engine around 40ish mph. They told me that may be normal.

I'll let ya know what they decide to do with it.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #1524
Dysan911
Focus Addict

When I arrived at the dealership this morning my Service adviser was there to meet me when I pulled up. I told her that the noise from the tranny this morning was pretty obnoxious so she asked if I could give the tech that will be working on it a ride and I agreed no problem. We got down the road and you could hear it pretty good but a little harder to hear due to the 3 lane road we were on and the cars all around us but he seemed convinced he heard it and told me we could head back. As we were pulling back into the service lane he asked about how many months ago did the noise start and how long ago did I have the last DCT flash. I explained a few months and he said they are releasing DCT Updates all the time and he would check and see if Ford provided any newer ones. When we got out of the car I said. Oh and there's a fluid leak coming from the tranny and about that time the Service adviser was standing there and he said. Oh, well then I know exactly what it is. Yeah, okay. He looked at the adviser and said. ITs the same thing as the others but I'm going to need parts and it will take a few days. She told him they already ordered the parts so he said.. Okay cool well then about 2 days to get it fixed.
Shortly after that as I was heading to the customer lounge to wait for the Rental car agency to pick me up the Service adviser said they may even need to replace the clutches. I said, Whatever you have to do. :)
Old 09-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #1525
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

Points 542, Level 10
Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
When I arrived at the dealership this morning my Service adviser was there to meet me when I pulled up. I told her that the noise from the tranny this morning was pretty obnoxious so she asked if I could give the tech that will be working on it a ride and I agreed no problem. We got down the road and you could hear it pretty good but a little harder to hear due to the 3 lane road we were on and the cars all around us but he seemed convinced he heard it and told me we could head back. As we were pulling back into the service lane he asked about how many months ago did the noise start and how long ago did I have the last DCT flash. I explained a few months and he said they are releasing DCT Updates all the time and he would check and see if Ford provided any newer ones. When we got out of the car I said. Oh and there's a fluid leak coming from the tranny and about that time the Service adviser was standing there and he said. Oh, well then I know exactly what it is. Yeah, okay. He looked at the adviser and said. ITs the same thing as the others but I'm going to need parts and it will take a few days. She told him they already ordered the parts so he said.. Okay cool well then about 2 days to get it fixed.
Shortly after that as I was heading to the customer lounge to wait for the Rental car agency to pick me up the Service adviser said they may even need to replace the clutches. I said, Whatever you have to do. :)
Hopefully, your problems will be resolved for you. Good luck to you.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #1526
YesMAN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102901
What I Drive: '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 1 YesMAN Good Standing Member
Quote:
Mine goes into the shop this morning so they can perform the procedure to see if it' qualifies for the TSB involving the leaky seals that can contaminate the clutch paks. 2 weeks ago I brought it to them and showed them a leak that was appearing between the Engine and Tranny but they told me it could be a rust inhibitor. This work today is to determine if it' is in fact rust inhibitor or or trans/oil.

My car makes a god awful sound when it shifts to 6th and lugs the engine around 40ish mph. They told me that may be normal.

Looking forward to the end of the story. But why do you say it lugs the engine in 6th at 40 mph? Mine's turning about 1500 rpm or thereabouts at 40 in 6th and it seems to run fine. At the slow end of 4th and 5th the rpms are only around 1350 which is closer to lugging...
Old 09-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #1527
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,903, Level 66
Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesMAN View Post
Looking forward to the end of the story. But why do you say it lugs the engine in 6th at 40 mph? Mine's turning about 1500 rpm or thereabouts at 40 in 6th and it seems to run fine. At the slow end of 4th and 5th the rpms are only around 1350 which is closer to lugging...
Yeah the engine is not lugging in 6th at 1500 rpm at 40 mph with light throttle applied. The engine isn't even lugging in 6th at 1300 rpm at 35 mph. Ford defines lugging the engine as extended running with a load on of below 1200 rpm or so iirc. Since the car is in charge of the shifting I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do anything that would cause damage. At least if they did their testing and research before hand.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #1528
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Lugging was a word the Service Manager who rode with me the first time came up with. He said it's like taking a 6 speed Manual and putting it in way too high a gear for the speed. I doubt any of us would be shifting to 6th in a manual at 40mph and 1500 RPM's. I mean its possible you could do that but I know I wouldn't want the bogging low throttle response, etc.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #1529
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

Points 166, Level 3
Points: 166, Level: 3 Points: 166, Level: 3 Points: 166, Level: 3
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Lugging to me would be operating the engine at too low an rpm to allow the engine to develop enough power to perform the intended or desired function.

If you were trying to accelerate, drive up a hill or carry a heavy load at 40mph in 6th gear then that would probably be lugging the engine.

If you were cruising at a steady pace on level ground just trying to maintain speed then 40mph in 6th gear might not be lugging.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #1530
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,903, Level 66
Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Lugging was a word the Service Manager who rode with me the first time came up with. He said it's like taking a 6 speed Manual and putting it in way too high a gear for the speed. I doubt any of us would be shifting to 6th in a manual at 40mph and 1500 RPM's. I mean its possible you could do that but I know I wouldn't want the bogging low throttle response, etc.
Its not lugging at a steady state 40 mph and 1500 rpm. I certainly would have been in 6th as soon as possible if I had a 6MT, I was already used to shifting my 5MT into 5th as soon as possible and accelerating below 2000 most of the time in town as the car had over 235000 miles on it by the time I got my Focus. I'd put over 44000 of them on it myself.

If you're that concerned about it then either shift it manually at higher revs or give it more throttle to prevent it from sitting at that engine speed. You would pay a mileage penalty for that however as an engine that is spinning at higher rpms is using more fuel than one that isn't working as hard. At least to a certain point.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.