Just bought a used 2012 Focus Titanium - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Justintoxicated
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103386
What I Drive: Silver Focus 2012 Titanium MFT

FF Reputation: 1 Justintoxicated Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just bought a used 2012 Focus Titanium

And now I am now filled with doubts and buyers remorse. I went shopping for Dart, Cruze, Sonic, Focus, Fiesta looking for the manual versions. The Cruze and Dart were a lot of fun with the 6 speed manual. I also liked the focus though, and since there was a used 2012 on the lot with only 2k miles on it, and Ford was more flexable on the price than the Doge was going to be on their brand new darts, so I decided to go with the focus.

Unfortunately the used car was an "automatic" which worried me right off the bat. But I had not really done any research on the focus "automatics" only on the Cruze, and Fiesta, because I was really looking for a manual.

I should not have caved to the pressure, but I did, and now after reading the forum it sounds like Fords DCT is full of issues and I made a terrible choice. It's the first time I have ever been convinced to buy the extended warranty. Am I in for it now?

Car was $19953 + 3k warranty and service package for 2012 Focus Titanium with 2k miles on it, has 18" wheels and MyTouch. Did I just get screwed?

Also It appears I don't get my 3 free years of Sync now either since I bought the car "used".

I already regret buying the extended warranty, on the other hand it sounds like I am going to need. This is the first ford I have purchased.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

Points 20,484, Level 90
Points: 20,484, Level: 90 Points: 20,484, Level: 90 Points: 20,484, Level: 90
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
You should be fine. No new car is perfect and there have been some who have had issues with their Foci, but don't let that make you believe all examples are cursed lemons. You got a good deal on a good car and it should treat you fine.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
SydneyRoo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86671
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Blue Candy

Points 1,434, Level 21
Points: 1,434, Level: 21 Points: 1,434, Level: 21 Points: 1,434, Level: 21
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 SydneyRoo Good Standing Member
I only owned stickshift cars until this one. I got a Ti Focus with the DCT. I don't mind it, it drives nice, and I can make it still feel like a manual :3

Did you not test drive it? That's what people usually do when they decide to buy a car or not...
Old 09-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile About 7 grand less then what it cost for a new one with 2k miles on it, most likely everything thatll be wrong with it and recalls and tsbs have been done and worked out already...yup, you got screwed royally, because your car is going to blow up next time you drive it, and the transmission is going to just fall out onto the road because it is that horrible.

People will go out if their way to complain about something WAY more then they will to praise it. Hence why you have read about more "issues." RELAX! The focus is fun to drive, the interior fit and finish is second to none right now in its class, fuel economy is great, even though you didnt get a stick, throw that sucker in Sport shift and either let the trans do the work or switch gears yourself. Its a dct, which we like to call a manual with an automatic option, as opposed to the other way around. The only feature you lost with sync is I believe the turn by turn directions, everything else still works free of charge. Again...RELAX!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
WhiteTite
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100660
What I Drive: '13 Focus ST2. '12 Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 2 WhiteTite Good Standing Member
$3K for warranty and oil changes?? That is a lot of money for a car that still has most all of the factory warranty in tact. I don't know how many miles you drive yearly, but seems you are paying a lot for the services. Don't worry about the DCT, try driving around in S mode when city driving, and use the manual shift it is fun to drive that way. Given the cars you were looking at, you made the right decision. If you change your mind on the warranty you can get a refund...I'm surprised with such low mileage it wasn't a Certified Used. Relax and enjoy your new toy!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Justintoxicated
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTite View Post
$3K for warranty and oil changes?? That is a lot of money for a car that still has most all of the factory warranty in tact. I don't know how many miles you drive yearly, but seems you are paying a lot for the services. Don't worry about the DCT, try driving around in S mode when city driving, and use the manual shift it is fun to drive that way. Given the cars you were looking at, you made the right decision. If you change your mind on the warranty you can get a refund...I'm surprised with such low mileage it wasn't a Certified Used. Relax and enjoy your new toy!
It was a certified used, the extended warranty is for is just that, to extend the premium care for an additional 36k or 3 years. Which is why I I'm second guessing my decision. The dealer IMO kinda bullied me into the warranty reminding me there are 22 (23?) computers, and telling me that I can't even change the oil in this car without an an OBD2 scanner to turn off the maintenance light... (Which is no big deal but still seems ridiculous). Basically they told me that I will not be wanting to work on this car because the electronics are too complex and I will mess it up, which made me pretty much get up out of my seat and say "then this isn't the car for me".... But somehow they pulled me back in... On the bright side, getting the extended warranty lowered my interest to 2.09% only .4% difference, but that sort of discounted itself a bit. By the finance managers math, if I include maintenance, the warranty is a wash over the life of the loan, but I'm not so sure.

I'm also skeptical about only changing the oil every 7500 miles or so, and NOT using synthetics!?

I'm used to doing my own maintenance, with synthetic oil and good filters like a K&N or Mobile1, so I'm really second guessing my decision to let for take care of it for me. I do admit that oil changes on cars are not as easy as doing them on my truck though, since it requires jack and stands, but at least i know it's done right and some newb isn't going to strip my drain bolt..
Old 09-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,430, Level 65
Points: 9,430, Level: 65 Points: 9,430, Level: 65 Points: 9,430, Level: 65
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
Basically they told me that I will not be wanting to work on this car because the electronics are too complex and I will mess it up, which made me pretty much get up out of my seat and say "then this isn't the car for me".... But somehow they pulled me back in... On the bright side, getting the extended warranty lowered my interest to 2.09% only .4% difference, but that sort of discounted itself a bit. By the finance managers math, if I include maintenance, the warranty is a wash over the life of the loan, but I'm not so sure.

I'm also skeptical about only changing the oil every 7500 miles or so, and NOT using synthetics!?

I'm used to doing my own maintenance, with synthetic oil and good filters like a K&N or Mobile1, so I'm really second guessing my decision to let for take care of it for me. I do admit that oil changes on cars are not as easy as doing them on my truck though, since it requires jack and stands, but at least i know it's done right and some newb isn't going to strip my drain bolt..
Ford actually specifies 10k mile/ 1 yr oil changes on semi synthetic oil. I wouldn't like to push it beyond 7500 mi at least without doing an analysis first though.

You don't need a scan tool to reset the oil light, just a sequence of standing on the gas and brake pedals with the key on, engine off (i.e. press start with no foot on the pedal, then stand on both pedals for 25+ seconds).
Old 09-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
dieselboy77
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61381
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST ST3

Points 657, Level 13
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 dieselboy77 Good Standing Member
take it back and get a manual
Old 09-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Justintoxicated
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboy77 View Post
take it back and get a manual
I think I'd take a HUGE hit on that, enough so that I would lose my entire down payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Ford actually specifies 10k mile/ 1 yr oil changes on semi synthetic oil. I wouldn't like to push it beyond 7500 mi at least without doing an analysis first though.

You don't need a scan tool to reset the oil light, just a sequence of standing on the gas and brake pedals with the key on, engine off (i.e. press start with no foot on the pedal, then stand on both pedals for 25+ seconds).
Now I feel lied to, cause that's how I run diagnostics on my titan too. Although I feel a bit better about doing oil changes now once the maintenance plan runs outs. I think I forgot to mention that even without the extended warranty, the drivetrain is warrantied for 100k due to being certified used. So really it was closer to 2,800 for the extended warranty and service plan (also includes gap insurance I believe). I guess the service plan is worth some money for materials, and I was told the interest rate difference was equivalent to about $1200 as well but I didn't do the math myself (I was starving by the time I got out of there and my girl was nagging me to go get food heh)

Oh, and I convinced them to give me $1000 trade in for my beat up looking geo metro. When I drove it to their lot the next day and got out the guy looked at me like "oh my" and said..."We don't want that!". I just laughed and said "I know you don't want it".
Old 09-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 3,926, Level 39
Points: 3,926, Level: 39 Points: 3,926, Level: 39 Points: 3,926, Level: 39
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
When was your car built -- what was the build date on the window sticker? If the build date is late 2011 or 2012 there's probably not much to worry about. MFT is still a work in progress and there's word a new release is eminent, but even as is my car, with a build date of 5/7/12, has had no issues to speak of and my 6-sp DCT works just fine...

If you don't know the build date you can find it by entering your VIN into Ford's ETIS website -- see link below. Just go there, click on tab at top for "Vehicle" then enter your VIN. Not only will it tell you when the car was made but also if you have an outstanding service programs...

http://www.etis.ford.com/selectedVehicleDetails.do

Brian

Bookmarks & Social Networks