2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 45 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #441
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer View Post
Please include me if/when you are setting this up! I'm in Marietta! :)
Sure, let me see what I can arrange once I am back in town.

I do wish the Focus got the same mileage as my Fiesta - 39.5 @75. The Focus gets 34.5 - 35.0 @ 75.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 05:43 AM   #442
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-lou View Post
Finally got so fed up with all the issues we were having with our 2012 focus titanium that we traded it in on another brand of car......that thing is going to get someone killed with its shuddering transmission and having no power when you really need it but only doing it randomly....plus not being able to lock the car because alarm always goes off, or hood open alarm going off, or sd card fault popping and the touch screen going blank, not to mention a horrible rattle in the front end and then the straw that broke the camels back, a steering fault service required message popping up right as you lost your power assist steering....but none of these issues left any codes so the dealer could not fix after numerous attempts.....took a large monetary loss but am very glad to be rid of that death trap......First and last ford ever ..B-lou
Good luck with your new car. As I have said before, we must be driving different cars. Our Focus has been fabulous.

Last edited by 6769MOPARS; 09-03-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #443
RedOctober45
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101579
What I Drive: 2013 "Performance Blue" Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 RedOctober45 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone Georgia View Post
I have just purchased a new 2012 Ford Focus SEL, this is a great car and overall I am pleased BUT I am VERY unhappy with the transmission shudder as it is annoying and I have also been told by the Ford service department it is going to get better, I have had the car less than a week and I too am looking at taking the car back as previous posts indicated, 23K is a lot of money to pay for a car that has this issue
I got about 500 miles on my new '13 and I already notice it is smoothing out and especially with more power on demand, primarily at lower speeds and from a stop. I still have some strong shuddering from a cold start after the firts couple shifts but it is definitely improving for me already. I didn't really notice any improvements till maybe around 200-300 miles.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #444
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer View Post
Please include me if/when you are setting this up! I'm in Marietta! :)
I've not forgotten you. I don't think we cans set up a group session but, if there is a problem with your car you want checked, my tech is very good and specializes in transmissions.

PM me if you would like to set up an appointment with him. He is at Team Ford in Marietta.

Have you read this?

PowerShift 6 Speed Operating Characteristics
Old 09-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #445
TBone Georgia
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103242
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 TBone Georgia Good Standing Member
I would like to take a moment and thank everyone for their invaluable feedback, to date Ford is going to replace the clutch in my car and see where we go from there...more to follow
Old 09-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #446
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I would like to take a moment and thank everyone for their invaluable feedback, to date Ford is going to replace the clutch in my car and see where we go from there...more to follow
You must have had some wetness, which, as I understand it, is the condition that requires clutch replacement.

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #447
TBone Georgia
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103242
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 TBone Georgia Good Standing Member
Good morning everyone hope everyone is having a blessed day, ok so my dealership has replaced the clutch in my 2012 Focus SEL and as I drove away from the dealership I noticed a very different driving experience, the shifting was smooth and controlled and to be honest i was very excited and hopeful that my issue was resolved but having an engineering background I am always careful not to jump to conclusions until proper due diligence has been completed. So at this point I spent about 3 hours driving in stop and go traffic well unfortunately the car still "shudders" in first gear (it actually feels like it is slipping) it is most notable when starting from a dead stop and going up a slight uphill grade, as I still love the over all quality of the car, I don't believe I can deal with this for the next 60 months as i dont believe it will get better it may stay the same or get worse with time.My dealership has offered to take the car back if I am not satisfied and although my sales associate and finance manager has really done a great job it trying to take care of me I have to make a decision on if to return the car or just live with it

I continue to be pressed from the dealership to fill out the survey and based on my first survey response, which was not positive, I truly believe they are motivated to make me happy

At this point I would recommend this dealership but would not recommend this car until the transmission issues are resolved or at least an up front marketing campaign by Ford to "call out" the differences with this transmission and offer an option to have this type or go with a more common type of transmission

Thanks again for all of the feedback and offers to help I am very grateful to everyone, have a great day!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #448
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Good morning everyone hope everyone is having a blessed day, ok so my dealership has replaced the clutch in my 2012 Focus SEL and as I drove away from the dealership I noticed a very different driving experience, the shifting was smooth and controlled and to be honest i was very excited and hopeful that my issue was resolved but having an engineering background I am always careful not to jump to conclusions until proper due diligence has been completed. So at this point I spent about 3 hours driving in stop and go traffic well unfortunately the car still "shudders" in first gear (it actually feels like it is slipping) it is most notable when starting from a dead stop and going up a slight uphill grade, as I still love the over all quality of the car, I don't believe I can deal with this for the next 60 months as i dont believe it will get better it may stay the same or get worse with time.My dealership has offered to take the car back if I am not satisfied and although my sales associate and finance manager has really done a great job it trying to take care of me I have to make a decision on if to return the car or just live with it

I continue to be pressed from the dealership to fill out the survey and based on my first survey response, which was not positive, I truly believe they are motivated to make me happy

At this point I would recommend this dealership but would not recommend this car until the transmission issues are resolved or at least an up front marketing campaign by Ford to "call out" the differences with this transmission and offer an option to have this type or go with a more common type of transmission

Thanks again for all of the feedback and offers to help I am very grateful to everyone, have a great day!
Tbone, you notice the slight shudder on a slope because the most recent software (FSA this past spring) modified the TCM and ABS software to manage the brake better on a slope. Some owners were complaining that the car would roll back slightly on a slope. It would if you didn't apply the brake. To make the computer controlled manual DCT behave more like a traditional automatic, they modified the code so that the brake would be managed by the computer on a slope, even one of slight upward degree. Now what happens is that when you first hit the accelerator, the brake is still engaged for a second or two. As the engine and brake compete, we notice a slight shudder. The shudder is more pronounced on steeper slopes.

My tech says he fully expects another software update to address the conflict.

Be sure that you never ride the brake in your Focus as I think this will enhance the shudder.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #449
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93807
What I Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport Auto FWD

FF Reputation: 1 ruthrj Good Standing Member
Quote:

Not that I'm an expert on this, but I believe Ford likely reset the software for the transmission after replacing the clutch (or clutches, not sure if they did one or both for you). I think it's going to relearn and improve over the next 1000 miles as if the car were brand new. At least that's the impression that I've gotten from other threads.

That's great that the dealership offered to take it back for you though if the issue isn't resolved. Hopefully that's not at a loss to you! : )

EDIT: BTW, even when my car had about 5000 miles on it, it still shuddered very slightly when accelerating up an incline. Wasn't uncomfortable by any means, but it certainly confused the hell out of passengers who have never ridden in a car with a dual-clutch automatic. Didn't help that the shudder worsened with a higher passenger load, it almost never did that when it was just me, or me and my wife!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #450
cal50
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 8140
What I Drive: 2 cars!

FF Reputation: 1 cal50 Good Standing Member
I purchased a new 2012 Focus for my daughter. It currently has 15 thousand miles and the transmission was shifting really hard and loose off idle. I had it in once and not sure what they did then but its worse now. I just got the call from the service department and they said it needs new clutches and have to drop the transmission. Waiting on parts and hopefully will be back in action in a couple days.

Its a little UN-nerving when my 2003 has 190,000 miles and the only things it needed was fluid and filter changes and I did replace a shift solenoid around 180,000. My 2004 has been flawless with 140,000.

Bookmarks & Social Networks