2012 HID Thread (Info Only No Arguing) - Page 23 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #221
Chaos09
Sonic Crew #09

Fan#: 95090
What I Drive: Slammed S-10

Points 7,716, Level 58
Points: 7,716, Level: 58 Points: 7,716, Level: 58 Points: 7,716, Level: 58
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 7 Chaos09 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeballeater View Post
Here is what Todd from RetroSolutions gave me for the 2012 focus with resistors on both bulbs.
This is the diagram I used. The harness (resistor) has to be plugged into a light so it will know when to come on and off
Sonic's MK3 Crew #9 Chaos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #222
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93444
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-Focus View Post
This is the diagram I used. The harness (resistor) has to be plugged into a light so it will know when to come on and off
Right, you are on the right track. You said the relay into the low beam instead of the resistor into the low beam so I was confused.

The resistor doesn't connect on mine either because you need to switch the two wires around on the factory low beam harness (yellow and black wires). I just cut them and soldered them into each other. This allows for the connector on the factory harness to match up. This is what nerdrage was talking about. Also as a note, this will not affect the connection if you decide to go back to stock bulbs. They still just plug right in.

If this isn't the problem then I'm sorry I couldn't help more. If it is, I'm thinking I'll go ahead and take a video tomorrow when I'm working on my buddies car and show how I did mine.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #223
Chaos09
Sonic Crew #09

Fan#: 95090
What I Drive: Slammed S-10

Points 7,716, Level 58
Points: 7,716, Level: 58 Points: 7,716, Level: 58 Points: 7,716, Level: 58
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 7 Chaos09 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
So I installed the new relay harness and the lights come on! But I still have the dip beam error. Guess I'll live with it for awhile until I feel like messing with them again. A Video install would come in handy!
Sonic's MK3 Crew #9 Chaos!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #224
me.awesome
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96215
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 me.awesome Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
So I installed the new relay harness and the lights come on! But I still have the dip beam error. Guess I'll live with it for awhile until I feel like messing with them again. A Video install would come in handy!
with resistors correct? Also check to OHM of the resistors with a volt meter to make sure they have enough resistance, if not blown out.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #225
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
Just as a point of info - the 2013 ST will have HID's as late availablity in the 202A option package ($4400).

My point is that factory HID's will be available - which is likely easier than doing a projector retrofit on the stock lenses.
The lack of an HID option is one of the biggest disappointments with my car. I am hoping the price comes down within a few months through other suppliers.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #226
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I got busy with the audio job in my friends car so it'll have to wait until sometime this next week. I will get a video up though.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #227
badmoonkid24
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48564
What I Drive: 2002

FF Reputation: 2 badmoonkid24 Good Standing Member
I get the dip beam error but it goes off and my hid's work great, I got a plug in play kit no cutting no splicing just plug in and go with a 1 year warranty and i got yellow for my fogs looks great
Old 08-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #228
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Not only was installing HIDs on the Focus easy, it was safe. The cutoff is nothing short of wonderful for a reflector housing.

On my Veloster? Holy shit is all I can say. Glare everywhere, less of a cutoff and more like a starburst; you really need to get the projector housings (thank god they only cost 450-650, depending on style of it). Also, you need to remove the bumper to get at the assemblies and even change bulbs cause everything is so tightly packed, it's a right pain in the ass.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 09-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #229
Fraychild
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37309
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE

Points 62, Level 1
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 Fraychild Good Standing Member
Posting some pics to try and help out as much as I can... Okay... not my official write up, but trying to give people a boost.

Basically - you have a "Relay Harness", two "Resistor Harnesses" and an HID Kit (2 Ballasts and 2 Bulbs)...

You'll notice that the "Relay Harness" has two ballast male connectors with open ground wires - A short wire with a male connector (for driver side ballast), a long wire with a male connector (for passenger side ballast) and also a shorter wire with a female connector (for driver side car headlight connector).

DRIVER SIDE:

1 - Using the "Relay Harness" connect the fused red wire to the + side of your battery:

2 - Take the shorter wire with the female connector from the "Relay Harness":
-

and plug in one of your "Resistor Harnesses" male connector in it:

3 - Now plug the car's male connector from the Headlight into the female connector of your "Resistor Harness":

4 - Screw in your HID bulb and Plug in your bulbs/ballasts connectors:

5 - Plug the driver side male connector from the "Relay Harness" into the ballast and screw down both Ground wires from the "Resistor Harness" & "Relay Harness" to car chassis:

PASSENGER SIDE:

1 - This one is really easy - You will NOT be using the male connector from the 2nd "Resistor Harness"... You'll only need to plug in the car's Headlight connector into the female side of it:

2 - Connect the "Relay Harness" long male connector into the Ballast and once again, screw down the Ground wires for both the "Resistor Harness and Relay Harness down to the car's chassis: (I used one of the fender's mounting bolts)

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you guys any further!

Personally, I'm no longer getting the dipped beam error message, however, I haven't found the best mounting spots for either one of my ballasts... and I also haven't mounted my resistors in secure enough locations... as I mentioned before, they're dangling in my fender walls for now...
Old 09-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #230
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Nice guide Fraychild!

I hear you on mounting the resistors at least. The best option I see is kind of like your where you leave them hanging, but taunt enough to where they won't touch anything not metal. The Ballasts I just have 3M'd and zip tied (where I could just for insurance) to two locations. I will show some suggestions in the video.

Speaking of that, looks like I will be getting that video up somewhat soon, as I will be switching over to a Morimoto 3Five kit for the headlights. One of the DDM bulbs shorted themselves out when a connector on the harness became loose and caused a bad connection.

No surprise on that though, as I've said before. The bulbs were alright, but I've certainly seen better, so I'll just go ahead and order a nice kit and quit messing around. I'll be using the spare two slim ballasts as replacements for the fog light kit, so the whole headlight kit isn't a waste.

Bookmarks & Social Networks