so im shooting for 450whp in the future... how to get there? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #21
drostedrummer89
I <3 my SVT
 
drostedrummer89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Fan#: 69059
Location: Royal Oak, MI
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic SVT

Posts: 1,761
FF Reputation: 8 drostedrummer89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
40 psi fuel pressure, right? ... Not out of a turbo?

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile
drostedrummer89 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #22
Roushturboedzx3
I Fab Too Much
 
Roushturboedzx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Fan#: 42814
Location: CLearwater, FL
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Gray ZX3

Posts: 4,737
FF Reputation: 20 Roushturboedzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drostedrummer89 View Post
40 psi fuel pressure, right? ... Not out of a turbo?

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile
Yes 40psi base pressure on the fuel pressure regulator.
__________________
New: 2012 Mustang GT premium
SOLD:RACE GAS 602whp 501tq Pump Gas SAE 454whp
Garrett GT3582r, Topmount, built motor, Ported head,Tuned by Fernando@RacingPartsSolution
I may not be the baddest, but the baddest dont Fu** with me
Roushturboedzx3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #23
Earls32
Focus Enthusiast
 
Earls32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Fan#: 46470
Location: Fort Walton Beach, FL
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT Focus

Posts: 485
FF Reputation: 2 Earls32 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Gtx35r ;)
__________________
SVT: Topmount GT3582R, SAE ? Whp ? Tq, Built motor, stock head, new #'s coming soon ;)
ZX3: RACE GAS 602whp 501tq Pump Gas SAE 454whp Garrett GT3582r, Topmount, built motor, Ported head, both Tuned by Fernando@RacingPartsSolution
Earls32 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #24
bmylez
Focus Fanatic
 
bmylez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Fan#: 64637
Location: San Antonio, TX
What I Drive: 2003 350Z Track

Posts: 3,450
FF Reputation: 23 bmylez Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Surprised nobody has said this yet: every single question you have has been beaten to death about 100 times.

Anyway, wanting to spin to 8500 or 9k is just silly for the power you want. You clearly don't understand the relationship between HP, torque, and RPM. 450whp is pretty standard these days on this platform. You don't need a bunch of random parts to get there, just the basics. Some stg 2 Crower cams will help you stretch the torque out to get to 450 more easily.

Jim already said 60 lbs injectors are fine. Also, where'd you get the idea that Eagle rods are crap? As for intercooler, you could run the Top Speed kit...oh and by the way, you only listed their intake manifold, and you never picked out a turbo manifold, which is kinda sorta important...
__________________
1992 Eagle Talon TSi - sold (POS)
2002 Mustang GT - sold
2002 SVTF - sold
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT - cursed
2003 350Z Track - basically stock, and it runs
bmylez is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #25
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
 
focusmaniaczx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Fan#: 55157
Location: conover, NC
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Posts: 5,976
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
sweet. thanks for the info guys.

so now im down to what would be a good intercooler to run
tracking down a good place to balance the rotating assembly
and whether or not to run the same BOV and WG

i really would like to pick your brain roush. as far as the build goes im probably going to be going in much the same direction that you went in. maybe not quite as extreme in the end but in the neighborhood anyway. what clutch did you end up going with anyway? wasnt it the CM 5 twin disk? how much did it set you back and how did you like it while you drove with it? im guessing about 1200 or so and i bet that thing grabbed like a son-of-a-gun.
__________________
focus-power P&P head $1100
focus-power DIY turbo kit $1495
tom's first time in Vegas? PRICELESS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
focusmaniaczx3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #26
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
 
focusmaniaczx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Fan#: 55157
Location: conover, NC
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Posts: 5,976
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmylez View Post
Surprised nobody has said this yet: every single question you have has been beaten to death about 100 times.

Anyway, wanting to spin to 8500 or 9k is just silly for the power you want. You clearly don't understand the relationship between HP, torque, and RPM. 450whp is pretty standard these days on this platform. You don't need a bunch of random parts to get there, just the basics. Some stg 2 Crower cams will help you stretch the torque out to get to 450 more easily.

Jim already said 60 lbs injectors are fine. Also, where'd you get the idea that Eagle rods are crap? As for intercooler, you could run the Top Speed kit...oh and by the way, you only listed their intake manifold, and you never picked out a turbo manifold, which is kinda sorta important...
sorry if im beating a dead horse with the questions. ive just never looked that hard into boosting the focus until recently so i have lots of questions and my search-fu isnt very strong.

if i dont have to spin alot of rpm to get the power then im happy. like i said, im a firm believer in overkill. i like to know that i can even if i dont have to.

also like i said earlier about the eagle rods. im not sure when, where, or how the idea got into my head but i just wanted to clear it up and be sure. i would prefer to only have to do this build once and i want to get it right the first time.

i already have a turbo kit and turbo manifold. the manifold will get me there just fine. and if jim told me 60lb injectors would do the tricks sometime previously then i must have just missed that comment. ive been looking at the intercoolers from top speed pretty hard the last week or so and ive gotta say they are looking like winners.

and since i clearly dont understand the relationship between HP, torque, and RPM please feel free to explain it to me. if i have any misunderstandings or am wrong about anything i will be happy to be corrected and pointed in the right direction. i like learning things any time i get the chance.
__________________
focus-power P&P head $1100
focus-power DIY turbo kit $1495
tom's first time in Vegas? PRICELESS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
focusmaniaczx3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #27
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3
 
ZXthrizzle05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Fan#: 24434
Location: Marysville, WA
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

Posts: 8,398
FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Yeah. And their manifold is good forfree flowing air. Exhaust and intake. Don't forget a P&P head if not stated by now
__________________
FF MODERATOR
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK130 WHP 124 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
TURBO DYNO COMING SOON
ZXthrizzle05 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #28
Earls32
Focus Enthusiast
 
Earls32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Fan#: 46470
Location: Fort Walton Beach, FL
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT Focus

Posts: 485
FF Reputation: 2 Earls32 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Jim's/my car lol ;) is running super tec pistons, and eagle rods. Stock valves, pnp head, comp stage 2 cams, and gt35r. The clutch is a CM fx600 725 series. Jim will also vouch for this, that clutch is probally one of the best mods to the car. It's very aggressive but still has a good amount of play, just fine for dd. They are usually 1500 but you can find deals on them. Good luck with your build.
__________________
SVT: Topmount GT3582R, SAE ? Whp ? Tq, Built motor, stock head, new #'s coming soon ;)
ZX3: RACE GAS 602whp 501tq Pump Gas SAE 454whp Garrett GT3582r, Topmount, built motor, Ported head, both Tuned by Fernando@RacingPartsSolution
Earls32 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #29
Roushturboedzx3
I Fab Too Much
 
Roushturboedzx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Fan#: 42814
Location: CLearwater, FL
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Gray ZX3

Posts: 4,737
FF Reputation: 20 Roushturboedzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earls32 View Post
Jim's/my car lol ;) is running super tec pistons, and eagle rods. Stock valves, pnp head, comp stage 2 cams, and gt35r. The clutch is a CM fx600 725 series. Jim will also vouch for this, that clutch is probally one of the best mods to the car. It's very aggressive but still has a good amount of play, just fine for dd. They are usually 1500 but you can find deals on them. Good luck with your build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusmaniaczx3 View Post
sweet. thanks for the info guys.

so now im down to what would be a good intercooler to run
tracking down a good place to balance the rotating assembly
and whether or not to run the same BOV and WG

i really would like to pick your brain roush. as far as the build goes im probably going to be going in much the same direction that you went in. maybe not quite as extreme in the end but in the neighborhood anyway. what clutch did you end up going with anyway? wasnt it the CM 5 twin disk? how much did it set you back and how did you like it while you drove with it? im guessing about 1200 or so and i bet that thing grabbed like a son-of-a-gun.
Like chris said (quoted above) The clutchmasters twin disk is up there with the top mods ive done. The smaller disk allow for easy disengagement at high RPM, Chris will tell you i can shift it effortlessly at high rpm and it will allow you to shift much faster. its grabby but very manageable, since it uses two different clutch materials it allows it to slip as much as you would like. Actually after about 10 miles i was use to the clutch its not a huge difference then a single plate clutch. The biggest difference is i added a 3in (i think thats the size) pedal stop so you dont over extend the presure plate.
__________________
New: 2012 Mustang GT premium
SOLD:RACE GAS 602whp 501tq Pump Gas SAE 454whp
Garrett GT3582r, Topmount, built motor, Ported head,Tuned by Fernando@RacingPartsSolution
I may not be the baddest, but the baddest dont Fu** with me
Roushturboedzx3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #30
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
 
focusmaniaczx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Fan#: 55157
Location: conover, NC
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Posts: 5,976
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
curious about the pedal stop. i want to make sure i understand what you are talking about. this was to stop you from pushing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor i assume?

thats pretty pricey for the clutch but considering how much everything else costs it really isnt that bad. any guess as to how many miles you will get out of it?

this is probably going to sound really dumb but im going to ask anyway since im a turbo noob. why is it that it seems like everyone that makes big numbers runs a garret turbo? what are the pros and cons of a garret vs turbonetics or comp? is it a price thing? performance? longevity?
__________________
focus-power P&P head $1100
focus-power DIY turbo kit $1495
tom's first time in Vegas? PRICELESS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
focusmaniaczx3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.