daylight sensor: how to make it more sensitive? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #31
*Ed8r*
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97400
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White 4-door sedan

FF Reputation: 1 *Ed8r* Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy

I had the perfect marine-layer day to try out timthom62's sunglasses lens idea today. One lens did not work; I might try a doubled lens tomorrow. But I'm definitely keeping the electrical tape idea in the back of my mind . . . thank you, brent!

And you people who find this discussion ridiculous [I'm looking at you, FrostedG] can just go on your merry way turning the lights on and off manually while the rest of us try to figure this out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #32
BLRich1
Nope, Chuck Testa

Fan#: 22758
What I Drive: '14 TB ST3, '04 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 17 BLRich1 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ed8r* View Post
can just go on your merry way turning the lights on and off manually while the rest of us try to figure this out.
oh, technology
'04 CD Silver SVT, #877, 1 of 135 May 2011 ROTM, FF11: Best Display, Best of Show; AFN12: Best SVT, Best Audio, Finest Five, Carlisle Nifty Fifty
Old 09-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #33
CrankyWookie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89821
What I Drive: 2012, Sterling Grey, Hatch Ti

FF Reputation: 2 CrankyWookie Good Standing Member
I placed a lightdim dot on the top of the sensor and it's working great. Easy to place and they peel off clean. I used an xacto knife to carefully place the dot, it made it pretty easy to get into such a tight spot. It's also helpful to have someone guide the placement from outside the car. http://lightdims.com/

Old 09-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #34
*Ed8r*
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
I placed a lightdim dot on the top of the sensor and it's working great.
Which size dot and which "edition"? They make at least 3 different types: silver, blackout, and original.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #35
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthom62 View Post

EDIT: It should be noted that on vehicles equipped with the Dual Automatic Temperature Control (DATC) system, the light sensor also serves as a 'sunload' sensor for the airconditioning system and supplies information to the HVAC module proportional to the intensity of the sun on the vehicle.

If you're 'spoofing' the light sensor, it may also result in the cabin temp being a bit warmer (or at least slower to cool to set temp) on sunny days.
This appears to happen on the Manual Temperature Control system too... When the sensor is shaded, A/C output is reduced... Probably to increase fuel mileage..

As far as certain colors of cars becoming harder to see as it gets dark, I notice my silver car at dusk or dawn becomes almost invisible once you get about 30 yards or so from it... especially if theres a little dew in the air..
Old 09-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #36
CrankyWookie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89821
What I Drive: 2012, Sterling Grey, Hatch Ti

FF Reputation: 2 CrankyWookie Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ed8r* View Post
Which size dot and which "edition"? They make at least 3 different types: silver, blackout, and original.
I used the original (50%-80%), sorry I didn't mention that. I purchased these a year or two ago when the original was the only offering. The sheet includes a variety of sizes and shapes. I used the 3/4" dot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddz3 View Post
This appears to happen on the Manual Temperature Control system too... When the sensor is shaded, A/C output is reduced... Probably to increase fuel mileage..

As far as certain colors of cars becoming harder to see as it gets dark, I notice my silver car at dusk or dawn becomes almost invisible once you get about 30 yards or so from it... especially if theres a little dew in the air..
I hadn't even considered the impact on temp control. I'll have to see if I notice a difference. The nice thing about this mod is it's so easy to undo.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #37
*Ed8r*
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
I used the original (50%-80%) . . . I used the 3/4" dot.
Thanks for the info . . . I'll be back once I've tried it out!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #38
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyWookie View Post
I placed a lightdim dot on the top of the sensor and it's working great. Easy to place and they peel off clean. I used an xacto knife to carefully place the dot, it made it pretty easy to get into such a tight spot. It's also helpful to have someone guide the placement from outside the car. http://lightdims.com/
Thanks for the great idea!

I look forward to trying these on the sensor of my autodimming rearview mirror, which never has been as dark as I'd like.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #39
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
To be clear, I don't mind manually turning the headlights off and on. The trouble I have is that the dash is lit regardless of whether the headlights are on or off. On older cars, in rainy and/or overcast situations, you were sort of "prompted" to turn on the lights because it got hard to read your speedometer with no backlighting. If you forget to set your lights to Auto because you were using them manually, it's easy to find yourself driving in a semi-dark situation with your headlights on because you can read the dash just fine even with the lights off.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't an end-of-the-world situation, but yeah a "nice to have" feature would be adjustable auto headlights, or at least a sensor that turned them on earlier.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #40
*Ed8r*
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I'm back to offer this update:

We've finally had another day with the right kind of overcast for me to try out my new lightdim dot. I'm disappointed to find that the 3/4 dot is definitely not enough.

Over my lunch, I peeled off the dot and cut a slightly elongated square from the 25mm X 57mm strip. I applied this across the sensor, front to back (probably makes no difference). This piece didn't do it either.

Next, I think I'll double up the 25mm strip, but running side to side.

I'll come back here to check in and record results!

Bookmarks & Social Networks