6-Speed PowerShift - 2013 Any Better? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-30-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
zippy75
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103236
What I Drive: 2007 BMW 335i

FF Reputation: 1 zippy75 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
6-Speed PowerShift - 2013 Any Better?

Considering buying a new Focus SE Sport. I like to shift for myself but I must admit in these days of cell-phones and traffic jams that automatics are less of a hassle. I've heard so much bad press about the 6-speed PowerShift and I just wonder if it has gotten any better with the 2013 model year. I saw a video on YouTube of a 2012 and it looked like when you're taking it easy the transmission likes to keep the engine revs at about 1,000 rpm! Seems like that would be really annoying to have it jump about three gears every time you get on the gas.

Thanks!

Cam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy75 View Post
Considering buying a new Focus SE Sport. I like to shift for myself but I must admit in these days of cell-phones and traffic jams that automatics are less of a hassle. I've heard so much bad press about the 6-speed PowerShift and I just wonder if it has gotten any better with the 2013 model year. I saw a video on YouTube of a 2012 and it looked like when you're taking it easy the transmission likes to keep the engine revs at about 1,000 rpm! Seems like that would be really annoying to have it jump about three gears every time you get on the gas.

Thanks!

Cam
Well, I have never experienced it jumping three gears and havent heard anyone complain about it either. The Focus has plenty of torque to quickly pull you intothe optimal power band without having to downshift a bunch. Lower the rpms when taking it easy the better the fuel economy is going to be. Anyway, powershift has recieved significant updates over the past year. Imo, powershift never really had a problem, besides it could of been a little faster with shifts, it was really all public perception. Being used to smooth, slow shifting, lathargic, no feedback, torque converter automatics, people thought something was wrong when theyd feel their automatic shifting, especially at low gears (you know, just like manual trans). It wasnt that these cars were leaving people stranded at the side of the road, or blowing up, or chewing up gears, it was all really public opinion on how an automatic should be. And I think its kind of ridiculous for the media to be ripping down Fords credibilty and quality and listing it as something terrible (Consumer Reports) when there really wasnt anything seriously wring with it.

But to answer your question, 2013 should be just fine, I believe they smoothed out the shifts some and made them a tad quicker.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

Points 2,198, Level 28
Points: 2,198, Level: 28 Points: 2,198, Level: 28 Points: 2,198, Level: 28
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Seems like that would be really annoying to have it jump about three gears every time you get on the gas.
For the record, if I really want to pass someone in the SVT, I'll drop to 3rd..

And agreed on the Powershift being mostly a problem with public perception and lack of proper education for/by salespersons... "It's jerky at 1/2 mph! It rolls backwards! It downshifts funny! I was told it was an automatic! It's the devil!"
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 78k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 08-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
zippy75
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I noticed the same thing the first time I drove a VW GTI. I guess I'll just have to drive the auto Focus to see if it bothers me. I hate an automatic that hunts for gears, but if it doesn't do that we should get along fine.

Cam
Old 08-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
blank102
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96549
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 blank102 Good Standing Member
All this makes me wonder why Ford picked a DCT over a more conventional automatic.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,440, Level 65
Points: 9,440, Level: 65 Points: 9,440, Level: 65 Points: 9,440, Level: 65
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blank102 View Post
All this makes me wonder why Ford picked a DCT over a more conventional automatic.
Greater mechanical efficiency, as well as better driving dynamics and greater feel. There is nothing wrong with the DCT from a technical stand point, although they really needed to better inform the customers at the dealership level what it is and why its different.

From a stop it feels like it takes a fraction of a second depending on how aggressive you are with the gas as the car needs to apply the clutch in first gear. It drives so much better than the 6F35 ever could, no slush box can match the mechanical feel of a vehicle with a clutch and the DCT has two of them.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I've heard so much bad press about the 6-speed PowerShift and I just wonder if it has gotten any better with the 2013 model year. I saw a video on YouTube of a 2012 and it looked like when you're taking it easy the transmission likes to keep the engine revs at about 1,000 rpm! Seems like that would be really annoying to have it jump about three gears every time you get on the gas.
Bad press from people with only bad experiences. You never see the praise, do you? Mine has been outstanding. I will do about 50/50 between auto and select shift.

Jumping gears 3 times. Any auto will "jump" gears to grab the most power when you demand it. Auto will really only "jump" down 2 gears. With the select shift I can pop it down one more if really need be.

That video you saw, must have be driven by a granny. It will purr around 1000rpm if you py foot it all day! Which does save gas hah!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Ugh thank go they got rid of the 4spd slush box that plagued the focus for over ten years. I know some people had no problem with them, but earlier versions would est themselves, it sucks up tons of power, shifts a slow at times...I really dislike the automatic in my car. Its really not that great, let alone very bullet proof. So glad they threw a dct in the new focus, they set the bar for other Manufactuers regardless of the negative comments from the media about Powershift. Everyone is throwing in dct options into their economy cars now. Hyundais got em, Dodge got em...the more the merrier. DCT has proven to not only provide better fuel economy then a manual trans or traditional auto, but also potentially better performance then both.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
zippy75
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Ok, went to the dealership and drove a PowerShift yesterday. Seems to drive fine and shifts smoothly, but it definitely does drop the revs as soon as it can so that the second you come to any incline it has to change a few gears. I have a feeling that a stick would be a lot more enjoyable with an engine this small.

The Focus rides and handles nicely, but I'm going from a Mazda 6 with a V6 and after driving the Focus I couldn't help but feel that I'm going to be downgrading. There are certain things on the Focus that scream "cheap", like the carpeting, the rear seats, the trunk liner, etc.

That said, the Focus gets much better mileage and will be lots lighter for towing behind my RV.

Cam
Old 08-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

Points 2,198, Level 28
Points: 2,198, Level: 28 Points: 2,198, Level: 28 Points: 2,198, Level: 28
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I'm thinking you should just get the 5-speed manual. I've heard that the shift/clutch feel is fantastic, and the trans is the proven MTX-75. It'll save you ~$1000 upfront (unless you get the Titanium), which is a lot of gas money that the Powershift would have to make up.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 78k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune

Bookmarks & Social Networks