2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 110 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #1091
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthom62 View Post
If nothing else, it might be a contributing factor to an issue that actually is a result of several small problems rather than one 'smoking gun' problem.
Sure enough. Since we've so far seen mass dampers on all versions of the suspension (base, touring, handling) and one version without the mass damper (touring, or job 2 SE Sport), and varying noise issues/non-issues among them, I think it's going to be fairly difficult to nail the mass damper down as even a contributing factor.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #1092
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Just go t mine back today. Replaced both side springs, bearings, and nuts and bolts.

Seems to be fixed for now.

They also re-aligned my car as I requested. The service advisor said they needed to do an alignment any time suspension parts were changed and agreed with my request.

Then they were going to charge me for the alignment, which I said was stated as required per the service advisor. OK then ... no charge for the 4 wheel alignment.

Overall very pleased with the work .... and my dealership, who has always been upstanding and ultra-fair as far as I'm concerned.

Hope the fix holds ....

REV
Old 08-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #1093
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
I think it has more to do with dealers simply not ordering fully-optioned cars, since the more expensive cars are tougher to sell.

However, looking at my google document spreadsheet of people's suspension issues, a lot of the cars are, in fact, SE Sports or Ti w/the handling package.

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ENDlUekE#gid=0

If anyone still wishes to add to the spreadsheet, please click and fill out this form: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...lUekE6MQ#gid=0

Here's a question: Do the non-Sport SEs, SELs, and Tis have this mass damper on the struts? (Black arrow)

According to Edmunds (in this article: CLICK), it's been installed by Ford to "quell an unwanted resonant vibration" in the suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
I suppose you already know that the SE Sport "touring" suspension does not have the mass damper, or you would have asked. Regardless, I thought I'd document with this pic that my Sport suspension does not have it.

I'm curious also if this only appears on the "handling" suspension.

I will also mention that my job 2 (4/26/12) SE Sport has no abnormal noises at 6K miles.
From what I can see through the wheels and brake assembly when I turned the wheel out of the way as best I could it appears to be more like the first one with the shiny bracket for the mass damper, but its hard to tell.

Mine is a Job 2 SEL with the 16" alloy wheels. No apparent clunking here, but I do hear the suspension working over speed bumps and certain road imperfections, nothing that stands out as obviously broken yet though.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #1094
jrn146
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 275
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red SE 5 door 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 jrn146 Good Standing Member
"Apologies; sometimes the context gets lost in translation. Not only am I monitoring this forum (and own a 2012 Focus to boot), but I'm also giving my word and backing it up with action. Did your CSM provide you with his/her phone number?CSM provide you with his/her phone number?"

Just curious Thomas, does your Focus clunk?? I really don't see where involving a CSM is going to help anything. If the dealership did the TSB and the noise is still there what else can they do, change the same parts again? Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #1095
Mistofoleez
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86059
What I Drive: None

FF Reputation: 1 Mistofoleez Good Standing Member
Hello Posters. Remember me? I'm the "trouble-maker" who started this whole thing. I'm shocked! 92 pages long!?! Still no permanent fix. I took my car back in recently. Not only are my tires now "cupped", they can't seem to make it stop making noise. Like most of you, I am very tired of taking it in for this issue. Has ANYONE seen resolution?
Old 08-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #1096
killjoy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100911
What I Drive: 2012 Plat. White Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 killjoy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
I guess add another for the noise. I wonder what percentage of Focus is having this issue?
They had the part in stock quick but they are waiting for a separate part (c-channel for front passenger seat) to come off back-order 8/25.
OK they just delivered my focus back and the service order says they replaced the "left front sway bar link". If the sound is still there I will post again.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #1097
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
Sure enough. Since we've so far seen mass dampers on all versions of the suspension (base, touring, handling) and one version without the mass damper (touring, or job 2 SE Sport), and varying noise issues/non-issues among them, I think it's going to be fairly difficult to nail the mass damper down as even a contributing factor.
I checked my sister's 4/20/12 build SEL yesterday evening. No mass dampers installed and no reports of clunks or rattles.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #1098
eriksarnstrom
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101520
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 eriksarnstrom Good Standing Member
Still waiting for 9/15 parts.... :(
Old 08-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #1099
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
From what I can see through the wheels and brake assembly when I turned the wheel out of the way as best I could it appears to be more like the first one with the shiny bracket for the mass damper, but its hard to tell.

Mine is a Job 2 SEL with the 16" alloy wheels. No apparent clunking here, but I do hear the suspension working over speed bumps and certain road imperfections, nothing that stands out as obviously broken yet though.
My SEL has that damper. Factory 17" wheel car.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #1100
killjoy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100911
What I Drive: 2012 Plat. White Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 killjoy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
OK they just delivered my focus back and the service order says they replaced the "left front sway bar link". If the sound is still there I will post again.
It is still clunking

Bookmarks & Social Networks