The hunt to get a Nav MyFord Touch... - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #51
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
The dealership has had no luck getting the module initialized. They tried just putting it in and initializing it like normal and it wouldn't "take" (the tech's word, not mine). They kept it overnight and today tried while on the phone with an engineer from the IVT (at least that's what they told me) and still couldn't get it initialized. Basically, when initializing the module it has to be in a car that's already configured for Nav.

Pretty ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm going to pick up the car after work and attempt to return the module to Ford. Not sure how easy or possible it'll be...but it's worth a try. What a let-down though...we already know the module *works* perfectly in this setup, it just cannot be initialized.

Thanks again for nothing, Ford. Keep making me regret my $30k purchase because of your terrible salesmen and business process. Once I pay this thing off looks like I'll be moving to another manufacturer...one that doesn't intentionally screw over their customers.

Sucks, but its no reason to abandon the one of the best compacts in the market coming from a pretty good brand...

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #52
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Sucks, but its no reason to abandon the one of the best compacts in the market coming from a pretty good brand...
Well, it was partially done willingly and knowingly. When I was sold the car it was under the express idea that the car came with full navigation. The dealer sold it knowing it was only SYNC navigation, which is utterly useless. I've tried for the better part of a year and a half to get Ford to do *something* to help me with this issue. At this point I've had people tell me, word for word, that I should just get a Garmin.

The fact of the matter is, there's a way to get it done and they won't help at all to make it happen. I understand what they're saying, but I was screwed over by my dealership and there's very little that I can do to combat it. I've offered to buy the module, obviously, so it wouldn't be too much work for them to initialize a module and send it out.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #53
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Quote:
Well, it was partially done willingly and knowingly. When I was sold the car it was under the express idea that the car came with full navigation. The dealer sold it knowing it was only SYNC navigation, which is utterly useless. I've tried for the better part of a year and a half to get Ford to do *something* to help me with this issue. At this point I've had people tell me, word for word, that I should just get a Garmin.

The fact of the matter is, there's a way to get it done and they won't help at all to make it happen. I understand what they're saying, but I was screwed over by my dealership and there's very little that I can do to combat it. I've offered to buy the module, obviously, so it wouldn't be too much work for them to initialize a module and send it out.
I can understand that, and I also don't understand why they won't program it for you.

You clearly will spend the money, I'd imagine it isn't an issue for the factory to do it...

I mean, when my mom's Edge had MFT issues the dealer said they would just replace the entire unit, 2 days and the replacement unit arrived from wherever they arrive from and we were good to go; I don't understand why your dealer or any dealer isn't willing to do that for you.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #54
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Bummer man, after all that work/effort. I thought you had it nailed. Any idea what "configured for Nav" means? How it is/has to be configured?
Old 08-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #55
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
I can understand that, and I also don't understand why they won't program it for you.

You clearly will spend the money, I'd imagine it isn't an issue for the factory to do it...

I mean, when my mom's Edge had MFT issues the dealer said they would just replace the entire unit, 2 days and the replacement unit arrived from wherever they arrive from and we were good to go; I don't understand why your dealer or any dealer isn't willing to do that for you.
Well the service tech said that the module couldn't be provisioned for my car because the car wasn't created with the nav unit in mind. Obviously that's malarkey since it's not as if when the cars are running through the assembly plant they're checking what should be in the car at that point. They're wirelessly provisioned (by WiFi) when in the assembly plant...as they roll through, they connect to the WiFi system and it activates the modules.

The thing is, fact-checking against the actual model would be pointless since they have different modules for nav or non-nav. It would be a hugely wasted expense, so there's not a chance Ford is doing it as an extra step.

My guess is that it got to the "engineer remoting in" step and the guy said "hey that car's not meant to have nav" and declined to bypass. It's purely ridiculous. The chances of anything in the car actually declining the update are *VERY* slim, since there's nothing in the car that could do that...the car doesn't store its own feature list in some hidden memory (since there's nothing like that in the car...I looked).
Old 08-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #56
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Quote:
Well the service tech said that the module couldn't be provisioned for my car because the car wasn't created with the nav unit in mind. Obviously that's malarkey since it's not as if when the cars are running through the assembly plant they're checking what should be in the car at that point. They're wirelessly provisioned (by WiFi) when in the assembly plant...as they roll through, they connect to the WiFi system and it activates the modules.

The thing is, fact-checking against the actual model would be pointless since they have different modules for nav or non-nav. It would be a hugely wasted expense, so there's not a chance Ford is doing it as an extra step.

My guess is that it got to the "engineer remoting in" step and the guy said "hey that car's not meant to have nav" and declined to bypass. It's purely ridiculous. The chances of anything in the car actually declining the update are *VERY* slim, since there's nothing in the car that could do that...the car doesn't store its own feature list in some hidden memory (since there's nothing like that in the car...I looked).
Well if you really want one, lets hit up some salvage lots.

I recently had my Focus written off, still waiting to hear on what I'll be allowed to take from it, so theres always hope that way.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #57
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Quote:
That's quite frustrating... I don't understand how it benefits Ford so much to go such a long way to prevent Nav from being added. It's all just software, just let us do it. Even more frustrating for those who want reverse camera but Ford won't offer it on manual gearboxes... Makes no sense.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #58
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
That's quite frustrating... I don't understand how it benefits Ford so much to go such a long way to prevent Nav from being added. It's all just software, just let us do it. Even more frustrating for those who want reverse camera but Ford won't offer it on manual gearboxes... Makes no sense.
That is just cruel, there are plenty of cars on the market that are MT with the backup cameras available.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #59
Vestra01
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103186
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Vestra01 Good Standing Member
Find a VIN for a similarly configured car with NAV

What if the tech provisions the module using the VIN for a car that is configured identically to yours except that this VIN has the NAV? that should work as they can pull down the flash files for the module from that VIN, and should result in a similar situation to what Mrlandy did by swapping out his APIM with the one procured on EBay. You have to have a cooperative service tech though.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #60
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Quote:
That is just cruel, there are plenty of cars on the market that are MT with the backup cameras available.
They want you to get the Auto-Parking feature in order to get it... but then don't offer that on MT... but only in NA. Everywhere else in the world offers the self-parking with manual gearbox... Not sure why we're so special around here.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.