Should I buy a Focus - Bit Nervous - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #31
Hodge Podge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96120
What I Drive: 2012 5-Dr Se Sport Pkg Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Hodge Podge Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
My advice, particularly if you're looking at a DCT version is to test drive it a lot, including in the most urban conditions you can find. It is a different kind of transmission and does have different behavior, so make sure it suits you. Second, make sure 12b37 has been applied to any car you're considering. You can ask the sales person, but to be sure enter the VIN on Ford's ETIS site.
Believe mine was a November, 2011 build. I liked the DCT from the start and have never had an issue, but I will say 12B37 made it better.

Post 12B37's will behave (for the most part) like a traditional automatic in "D". Sport mode is also greatly improved (if you happen to get one so equipped).

Like any mass produced vehicle, there will be a few duds, but these are (it seems) the exception to the thousands of others that everybody likes/loves.

As the folks that have serious DCT issues (grinding sounds, etc) generally claim it happens all the time, it should be obvious during a test drive of a used model.

2012 Se Ingot Silver 5-Door w/ 201A & Se Sport Package
2001 Silverado 1500 RCLB 4x4 4.8L 5-Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #32
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge Podge View Post
As the folks that have serious DCT issues (grinding sounds, etc) generally claim it happens all the time, it should be obvious during a test drive of a used model.
Well, kink factor aside , a used 2012 Focus should reveal the noise -- between gears 1 and 2, and (less noticeable) between 2 and 3. Doesn't happen alli the time, either, but it's just a noise and there are no metal shavings in the transmission fluid... mine usually happens only after driving for a while, and I'm not the first to suspect there's an overheating issue affecting the computer that controls the dual clutches...

That aside, it's been a WONDERFUL vehicle to drive. The ride is great, mileage is great(er)... Ford says the noise is normal, I bought the extended warranty, the Cosby Show and Roseanne both lasted for 8 years... what's to complain about? Oh yeah, Roseanne's 9th was just a dream so it doesn't count...
Old 08-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #33
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Ford Focus 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedG View Post
bozo089, do yourself a huge favor. Go to Hertz or Budget and rent a 2012 Focus for 2 or 3 days. Take it out on your normal routine. If you go to work, drive it to work. If you have to go to the store, take it to the store. I've done this with the last 2 vehicles I've bought, and it's really helped me weed out the ones that I like vs. the ones I don't. If you're going to plop down tens of thousands of dollars on a car, a couple hundred to know if you like it beforehand is money well spent. Every car will have one quirk or another. Only you'll know if a specific quirk does or doesn't bother you.

A 10 minute test drive with a (potential) overly talkative sales person isn't going to give you a good feel for a car - period.

... It's the nicest riding, smoothest handling, and quietest compact car I've ever had.
+1 to this ^
Old 08-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #34
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97757
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
You won't be disappointed. Get a manual. More fun.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue FF Mobile
Old 08-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #35
MotorcityJAX
Sonic's MK3 Crew #14

Fan#: 90253
What I Drive: 2012, White Platinum, 5 Door SEL

FF Reputation: 6 MotorcityJAX Good Standing Member
I absolutley wouldn't trade my '12 for anything unless it was an ST, I have no problems with my DCT and love driving the car, I drive in sport mode quite a bit and the shifting is smooth. I also never have problems with my Microsoft either, since the update things are very smooth and not buggy at all, sure there are things I would change but you can't have everything. Don't let negative post scare you away, the car is great, good on gas and has a lot of features. IMO I would buy it, no if's, and's, or but's about it, buy it and drive the hell out of it and post some pics when you sign the deal and get it home and then start figuring out what you wanna do to start modding it
Hatch Nation #169
Sonic Crew #14 Metal Tails
Rally Rev #16
Old 08-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #36
Visioned
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93729
What I Drive: 2012, Red Candy, Focus SE

FF Reputation: -1 Visioned Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
I would pass. Buy an elantra or altima
Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #37
blank102
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96549
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 blank102 Good Standing Member
Altima is not in the same category. And it has a CVT.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #38
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visioned View Post
I would pass. Buy an elantra or altima

The Elantra isn't even competitive against the Focus. Go look at comparos, most of the time our Focus is winning with flying colours.

And an Altima? Really? That beige mobile?

FWD with a CVT? The worst combination possible. CVTs are the worst kinds of transmissions. Hell, they are worse than torque converter automatics.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #39
dbenney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1195
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 4 dbenney Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLRich1 View Post
Don't let all complaints scare you away. For every person that feels the need to complain online, there are 10 more that are perfectly content that don't post online about it. (I make up my own stats, btw)
One thing to remember... people are quick to complain when they are upset, but not so quick to praise when happy. I work at the plant where the Focus is built and had NO problems with buying one. I have 1k miles on mine (I know not much yet) and no issues, not even jutter. Shifts are smooth and strong. No grinding into or out of first gear. MyFord Touch has had 0 crashes, Sync recognizes approximately 95% of my commands(the ones it doesnt are prob my fault... not loud enough, incorrect commands or too much background noise).
I am already getting 35MPG highway with 87oct and expect it to get better over the next couple k. I have had in the past 3 other Foci... a 2000, a 2001 and a 2002. This is my favorite. I am telling you, for a small car the quality, fit and finish of the interior and body panels is by far superior to other models I have seen. Am I biased?.... maybe, but regardless... i love this Focus and you will never hear me bad mouth it.
I say have no fear take the plunge, and if for some reason something does go wrong, trust your dealership to make it right.... jsut make sure you pick a dealership with a good, reputable service department.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #40
Dialed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100454
What I Drive: '12 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dialed Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozo089 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am a new member to the forum, however, I have been browsing over the last week as I consider purchasing a 2012 Ford Focus.

When I began researching, I was unaware of the DCT and the issues related to it. After reading numerous threads with over a hundred responses, I am a bit nervous to buy a Focus.

Disregarding the DCT, the Focus is by far my #1 choice for a new vehicle, therefore I wanted to ask everyone if I should feel confident in pursuing a 2012 Focus.

I am thinking that the people posting about DCT issues may represent only a small number of all 2012 Focus owners. With that in mind, I may just be acting silly....

Also, I am considering getting a slightly used one so should I be looking for a newer build date?

Thank you
Test drive one. Use it in Auto and Sport mode if you're getting an Automatic. Shift like a mofo. If you feel jerking, get away from that car. I, and others, suspect certain build date Foci to be problematic.

I have absolutely not hard evidence to back this up, so leave me alone, it's just an opinion.

Bookmarks & Social Networks