Should I buy a Focus - Bit Nervous - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #21
a351must2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87762
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti, 2011 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 a351must2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityCubed View Post
I realize I'm in the minority here, but I would not suggest purchasing one unless you like to take risks.
Based on what I've seen in many different forums, there isn't a single car out there that wouldn't be a risk to think about buying.

As for the Focus, risk can be reduced by getting a manual, no sunroof, and no MFT.

For me, once MFT was updated, all complaint's were resolved. Out of every 4cyl + automatic I've driven, the DCT in the Focus has been the least annoying. I always imagine to myself that the people complaining about the DCT have always driven 4cyl manuals or bigger engines with automatics (like 2.5L or bigger), in which case I can imagine the DCT would be very annoying. Try a mid-90's Mitsubishi Eclipse GST or GSX with an auto and you'll never complain about another automatic again...that thing would randomly start from a stop sign in 3rd gear and sometimes take 5+ seconds to shift down.
1978 Mustang II, 2.3L Turbo, 5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #22
Craeshen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90525
What I Drive: 2012 candy blue Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Craeshen Good Standing Member
It is a sharp looking car, The dct has been rock solid for me after I got the first tsb it fixed 99% of the problems.

Mft is substantially better after the new update, and to be honest most of the complaints before were complaints about how inconvenient it was to pull the power fuse for the infotainment system when it froze or crashed.

A lot of other companies with infotainment system's are having similar issue's.

That and this car love's my k&n drop in a bit too much.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #23
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96709
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
I have a lot of issues, but I do not think they represent the majority rather they represent the minority. I would find one you like and ask the dealer to take an extended test drive. Perhaps an entire weekend. I have done this before and really wished I had done it this time. I would have noticed issues the first day that would have been a red flag. I think a couple days should tell you if the car you chose is plagued with problems or not. I have driven 5 other Focuses and not one exhibits the same DCT problems that mine does. So do not be scared, but informed and prepared. Overall I think the Focus could be a real winner, but every first year car has problems and I should have held off a little longer.

Good luck
Old 08-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #24
red-i
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18685
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti - Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 red-i Good Standing Member
I've got 2000kms on mine so far and love it. the DCT smoothed out amazingly... it's definitely not like an auto, but I came from a manual and I love it.

I have MFT and aside from the clock time changing twice and my phone needing a re-pair once it's been fine. sure there are some bugs but I'm hopeful they'll be worked out eventually and even with the little bugs it's a highly usable system.

my only dissapointment is my city mileage isn't all that stellar (9-10L/100kms) but if i wanted amazing stop and go performance I would have gotten a hybrid anyway. Plus I drive it to enjoy it which means throwing my foot down heavy from time to time.

as others said, try one out for a full day or two if you can.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #25
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
To the OP,

May we ask what kind of usage you will be doing ? What kind of traffic will you do ? Rush hour trafic ? short commutes ?

I noticed you are from BC. What kind of winter conditions do you get on your end of the country ? I'm from the east coast (well, kinf of) and some winter conditions can be a source of irritation depending on your usage.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #26
FrostedG
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97068
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass SFE

FF Reputation: 1 FrostedG Good Standing Member
bozo089, do yourself a huge favor. Go to Hertz or Budget and rent a 2012 Focus for 2 or 3 days. Take it out on your normal routine. If you go to work, drive it to work. If you have to go to the store, take it to the store. I've done this with the last 2 vehicles I've bought, and it's really helped me weed out the ones that I like vs. the ones I don't. If you're going to plop down tens of thousands of dollars on a car, a couple hundred to know if you like it beforehand is money well spent. Every car will have one quirk or another. Only you'll know if a specific quirk does or doesn't bother you.

A 10 minute test drive with a (potential) overly talkative sales person isn't going to give you a good feel for a car - period.

As for reliability, overall my ride has been fine. The DCT was much improved since the software update. I found out the hard way not to take it through an automatic car wash with brush rollers (took the plastic rain channel cover right off). The dealer replaced it under my initial 3yr/36000 mile warranty. Too bad my salesperson didn't tell me I needed to use the touch less car washes. Other than that, I have 12500 miles on it, one oil change, and gas - that's it. It's the nicest riding, smoothest handling, and quietest compact car I've ever had.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #27
kxweil38
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100546
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 kxweil38 Good Standing Member
I have had mine for 5 months and have 5100 miles on it. I had had zero problems and really enjoy how it drives. Went from an 03 Sonata and about 21 mpg to 32 mpg on a car that's a lot more fun to drive. Once I had the software update there have been no issues with the DCT. He fit and finish have been perfect on my car. Would definitely buy it again.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 08-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #28
G-Man's SVTF
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100864
What I Drive: 03 black EAP SVTF, 06 blue ST

FF Reputation: 1 G-Man's SVTF Good Standing Member
the issues generally were with the earlier build dates. the newer ones are pretty much problem free. go for it and you won't regret it.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #29
red-i
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18685
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti - Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 red-i Good Standing Member
oh and I'll add my build date was June 19th 2012.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #30
dooor
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51395
What I Drive: 2007 se stick

FF Reputation: 1 dooor Good Standing Member
DON'T Wait until next year. Far too many problems now.

Bookmarks & Social Networks