Should I buy a Focus - Bit Nervous - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
April and newer seem to be good bets. Ours is a mid April build.
Outside of the AC bearings going out at 100 miles our Focus has been solid with a few quirks with the sync system and getting used to it but the driving experience has been surprisingly better than I expected and isn't too bad when pushed hard and repeatedly;solid brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
wantz12
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89237
What I Drive: 2012 White FF Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 wantz12 Good Standing Member
Don't let all the DCT stuff scare you away. As many have said, people tend to just come on this forum and complain that their DCT doesn't act like an auto, doesn't shift well, etc. While I have had a few instances of indecisiveness from the transmission, for the most part the car has been wonderful. Plus the handling is excellent.

Test drive one to make sure, but I would personally recommend the Focus to anyone.
HN #167
Old 08-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
The people on here that have complained about the DCT represent around 1% of focus owners with that transmission. Yes it drives differently that your average auto, but the flipside is it returns better MPG than a standard auto.

Everyone here is going to say buy it, Why? because we all love the focus. I have 2 myself a 04 and 12. But like any car it will have its quriks. The best thing you can do is go out there and test drive one as much as the dealer will allow you too, and then if your still not sold go drive something else and see how it stacks up in your eyes.

I (and everyone else) would love to welcome a new focus owner for the site. But at the end of the day its about what you want because your the one that has to make the payments.

ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Advocare 24 Day Challenge!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
It's a great car, but as you've noted there is a lot of discussion about the DCT and MFT. I don't have MFT so can't comment but I do have an 12/11 build DCT.

A lot of the DCT discussion here is a hangover the software these cars had early in their lives. There was certainly a problem as evidenced by several software and at least one hardware change. Field Service Action 12b37 is the latest software update and it has made a big difference for most.

My advice, particularly if you're looking at a DCT version is to test drive it a lot, including in the most urban conditions you can find. It is a different kind of transmission and does have different behavior, so make sure it suits you. Second, make sure 12b37 has been applied to any car you're considering. You can ask the sales person, but to be sure enter the VIN on Ford's ETIS site.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
Pinarello Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102280
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SE 5sp 5dr sport

FF Reputation: 1 Pinarello Rider Good Standing Member
Definitely test drive it. If you are buying new, make sure you test drive it in a lot of conditions knowing that the transmission will get slightly better. If it's used, and has a lot of miles on it, it's going to be like that.

You could get a manual and not have to worry about it. Like me. I have no DCT and no MFT and I'm not worried about a thing. heh-heh.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
dnprall
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102822
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 dnprall Good Standing Member
I went from a 2000 Sedan SE to a 2012 HB SEL and I love it!

The DCT took a little bit to get used to and smooth out. (As an aside, the transmission finally smoothed out a bit around 1200 miles). The engine is great and makes a great noise for a 4-banger.

I find reasons to go out and run errands or something just to drive it.

Make sure you test drive it. The DCT does seem to have qualities of a manual transmission that took me a bit to get used to. It will roll backwards a bit and it sounds like a manual as it goes through the gears. But it's smooth and has good power. My 2 cents.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #17
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
In other words buy the 5 speed and keep it simple. hehehe
Old 08-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
DBxprss
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102670
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Metallic SE

FF Reputation: 1 DBxprss Good Standing Member
There are good deals available right now on year-end leftovers of the 2012 Focus. That pushed me in the direction of a new one. We had a 2011 Fiesta with the DCT and drove it for 23 months and 28,000 miles with zero issues. The DCT in the Focus is an improvement over that one. We only have a little over 1,000 miles on the new Focus so far, so it's too early to tell about longevity. However, the car drives and shifts smoothly, and we love it!
https://www.fuelly.com/driver/nels/focus
Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
InfinityCubed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95846
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Metallic SE-Sport

FF Reputation: 1 InfinityCubed Good Standing Member
I realize I'm in the minority here, but I would not suggest purchasing one unless you like to take risks. There have been more than a few here with problems that the software has not fixed, and three lemon laws claims filed here that I've seen. I understand that the software helps most and that the people that come here are not a majority of owners. I also understand that not everyone with a problem knows how to use the internet and discussion boards well enough to do so when they have a problem. If you want to take the risk of getting a DCT that isn't up to par with the rest of the DCT's then go for it.

If I had to do all over again I'd get the same car but I'd get a manual. I've only had one issue with it outside of the DCT and it's been a great car other than that.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Why not rent one for a day or two?

Bookmarks & Social Networks