Should I buy a Focus - Bit Nervous - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
bozo089
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103118
What I Drive: 2006, blue, Escape

FF Reputation: 1 bozo089 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Should I buy a Focus - Bit Nervous

Hi Everyone,

I am a new member to the forum, however, I have been browsing over the last week as I consider purchasing a 2012 Ford Focus.

When I began researching, I was unaware of the DCT and the issues related to it. After reading numerous threads with over a hundred responses, I am a bit nervous to buy a Focus.

Disregarding the DCT, the Focus is by far my #1 choice for a new vehicle, therefore I wanted to ask everyone if I should feel confident in pursuing a 2012 Focus.

I am thinking that the people posting about DCT issues may represent only a small number of all 2012 Focus owners. With that in mind, I may just be acting silly....

Also, I am considering getting a slightly used one so should I be looking for a newer build date?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
jcarlilesiu
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89689
What I Drive: 2012 Dark Grey Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 jcarlilesiu Good Standing Member
I, as well as most people I have talked to on and off the forums, have had no issues with the DCT.

You will notice a difference, it doesn't feel exactly like a automatic transmission, but it does work just fine.

Just my .02
Old 08-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
skepticaleye
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102724
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE hatch

FF Reputation: 2 skepticaleye Good Standing Member
Car and Driver chose the 2012 Focus as the year's top compact, even though C&D hates automatics on principle and really disliked the DCT in particular.

If you are used to driving an automatic, the Focus DCT is at least tolerable, and you'll adapt to it pretty quickly. You might even find you like it.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
afinley
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100856
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Grey Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 afinley Good Standing Member
And keep in mind that most people just get on here to hate on the car. You shouldn't think it is a representative sample.

I have a manual, so I can't speak to the DCT, but I have MyFordTouch, which is the other thing people hate on, and I love it. I love my car enough that we bought a second one just like it.

It is an $18k car that gets 40mpg, fits a lot of stuff, and looks sharp. It is not a magic car that will always be silent, perfect, and have no little hiccups. However, for the money, there is no better car.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
BLRich1
Nope, Chuck Testa

Fan#: 22758
What I Drive: '14 TB ST3, '04 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 17 BLRich1 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Don't let all complaints scare you away. For every person that feels the need to complain online, there are 10 more that are perfectly content that don't post online about it. (I make up my own stats, btw)
'04 CD Silver SVT, #877, 1 of 135 May 2011 ROTM, FF11: Best Display, Best of Show; AFN12: Best SVT, Best Audio, Finest Five, Carlisle Nifty Fifty
Old 08-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I've driven good autos and I've driven 3 Focuses with the DCT and it's a so-so auto and is pretty good when it's got things worked out but the driving experience IMO was a bit boring and needs a proper manu-shift type stick instead of a little toggle. One of the best autos I'd driven was the 6 speed in the Mazda MX-5.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Test drive it under a variety of conditions first if you are uncomfortable. I haven't had problems with my DCT (not to imply others don't have legitimate problems though) and love the way the car handles. It has a lot in it for the price. Still, you driving it yourself is the only way you are really going to know if you like how it feels or not.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've had my car for two months and it now has 2k miles on it. I have had ZERO issues with the DCT. MFT is laggy at times and has a few bugs, but again I've had no serious issues with it. Aside from a few paint flaws I am very satisfied with my car and would buy again. If I were you I would take the car home for 24 hours and drive it extensively. If there are any issues with it turn it in and walk away. The later build dates really seem to be much less trouble prone than the early builds.

Good luck.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
bozo089
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103118
What I Drive: 2006, blue, Escape

FF Reputation: 1 bozo089 Good Standing Member
Thank you for the responses. Should I look for one made after a certain date? I read that ford made ongoing adjustments to the hardware.

Edit: Will Ford Canada let me take a car for 24 Hours as a test drive?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
It is a wonderful car with a huge amount of content for the price. Haters are going to hate. You may see complaints on here, but I have NEVER had someone outside of this forum complain about their new Focus. They all love them.

I love mine. Is it perfect? No, but what car truly is? Make it your own and then it will be perfect for YOU.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->