SVT Focus ride height - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #21
Black&Tan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9971
What I Drive: '06 Liquid Grey SES hatch

FF Reputation: 8 Black&Tan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Getting the struts out of the front isn't bad at all,especially once you have the car apart. Just start with the driver's side and see what you find.

I'd also recommend replacing the front swaybar endlinks if you do the suspension. The stock endlinks wear out very easily. Moog makes great endlinks that have grease fittings on them and should last for the rest of your cars life.

Nice thing about the SVT kit is that it includes the front struts preassembled with a new strut tower nut and plate . Make sure you ask Steve about the kit that comes preassembled though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #22
Svt_kid
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94202
What I Drive: 2004 Silver zx5 Svt

FF Reputation: 1 Svt_kid Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yea new suspension all around and i would also get an alignment, The original svt set up is a nice deal, but if you plan on changing it down the road i would say save the money and just go with a new set of perfomance shocks and dampers with new springs all the way around from the start, i have k-sports coilovers on mine and so far i love them!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #23
RazorbackMustang
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102875
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus, 2011 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 RazorbackMustang Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If I change it I'll go with stock pieces. This is just our daily driver. My toy car is in my sig. ;) Ugh....wish I'd had time to do more research. The 5-doors are so few and far between that I felt I had to jump on it when I did. Oh well. Thanks again guys. If I run into any problems I'll make some noise.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #24
Black&Tan
Focus Fanatic

Yeah the stock SVT setup is actually pretty good, and for a family DD i'd stick with it.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #25
Svt_kid
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94202
What I Drive: 2004 Silver zx5 Svt

FF Reputation: 1 Svt_kid Good Standing Member
I love my Zx5 svt its a fun dd and the extra doors are just so convenient, just keep it well mantained and youl have a nice family car
Old 08-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #26
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&Tan View Post
Again, if it were me I would just buy the SVT dampers and spring kit from Tousley. It's the best price you can get for a suspension setup.
Is this the kit you're talking about? http://tousleyfordparts.com/partloca...catalogid=5684

$300 isn't bad for a kit with the struts assembled. Saves you the danger of spring compressors.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #27
Black&Tan
Focus Fanatic

Yep. That's the kit. That's a great price considering you get the whole assembly. Iirc it includes the strut tower nut, which can and do wear out. I had a strut tower nut go bad before and it sucks having to tear apart the suspension and mess with spring compressors to replace it.
HN #171
Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #28
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Quote:
Yep. That's the kit. That's a great price considering you get the whole assembly. Iirc it includes the strut tower nut, which can and do wear out. I had a strut tower nut go bad before and it sucks having to tear apart the suspension and mess with spring compressors to replace it.
Yeah, I don't wanna touch a spring compressor. Heard way too many bad stories about spring bouncing off walls...and into people.

If the OP gets it he should be fine. But the assembled kit doesn't come with an upgraded rear sway bar, which some people recommend for the regular ZX3/5.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #29
Black&Tan
Focus Fanatic

Most of those stories come from people NOT using spring compressors. I've used them before. They are safe if you use them right, just a pita. O'Reillys will rent them out for a deposit that you get back when you return them (essentially) free.

You could also pay some parts stores to throw the struts together.

Also not all trim levels come with stock sway bars and those cars need mounting brackets for the svt rear sway to work.
HN #171
Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #30
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Quote:
Also not all trim levels come with stock sway bars and those cars need mounting brackets for the svt rear sway to work.
Heard that too, but didn't that start with the 1.5gen? The Mk1's all have rear sways if I remember right. I'll double check mine, but it's heavily optioned so I'd be very shocked if it doesn't already have one.

Bookmarks & Social Networks