Transmission Shaking To/From 1st Gear - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #61
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrand View Post
Wanted to add to this topic by saying that my 2012 Focus with dual-clutch transmission (build date December 2012) also started to shudder and hesitate upon acceleration while going into 2nd gear. This started after 10,000 miles. It only did this on a warm engine (after several starts and stops). It was fine when shifting into higher gears.

Turns out that the clutch was defective. It wasn't releasing correctly. My Ford dealer called the Ford service hotline and they confirmed that this is an identified problem on some Focuses. Replacing the clutch was the only solution. They got a new clutch kit from Ford and completed the repairs in a day.

Just got my Focus back today and the problem is resolved.
Any updates on your fix? I suppose all is well ... your fix gives us hope that this issue can be corrected!

I guess with the problem only being noticeable after warm up that would explain why people are having a hard time getting this diagnosed properly, as mentioned by BPEW584.

It's not the hesitation going into 2nd so much but the clutch actually slipping, causing shaking/shuddering that can be very noticeable at times, about half way through 1st gear that I see as my problem. Hoping the service dept will agree and I'm pretty sure they will. I may have to pull in with the clutches warmed up amd take the trans tech for a ride along to demonstrate the failure if they don't see it on the first check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagreene View Post
I am having the same problem! Ford definitely knows about it. I have talked to several dealers and they basically said there is "no fix" and "it is what it is".
Keep trying, eventually they have to listen. Try taking the tech for a test drive in your car to demonstrate the problem then request a test drive with him in a new car on the lot to compare with. Hoping there is a difference of course which there should be.
Nickrand got his fixed so certainly there is a fix available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #62
BPEW584
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101933
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 BPEW584 Good Standing Member
I've done the battery reset, and...

The car got worse, and worsened some more after 250 km... Lol... *facepalm*
Old 08-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #63
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Lol ... Nice, I will do some more of these just for this cool post!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #64
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsfocus View Post
Lol ... Nice, I will do some more of these just for this cool post!
Ha! It's entertaining, but also informative. Best o' both worlds...
Old 08-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #65
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPEW584 View Post
I've done the battery reset, and...

The car got worse, and worsened some more after 250 km... Lol... *facepalm*
Immediatly after the reset you should attempt the Drive Cycle ... it is recommended to help with the re-learning process.

Here it is if you havn't seen it before ... post #304 :

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...271673&page=26

Good luck and if this doesn't help any then it's time for the service dept to take over ... it's not the end of the world yet, lol ... that comes Dec 21, 2012.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #66
bdattilo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91198
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE Hatch Sport

FF Reputation: 1 bdattilo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrand View Post
Wanted to add to this topic by saying that my 2012 Focus with dual-clutch transmission (build date December 2012) also started to shudder and hesitate upon acceleration while going into 2nd gear. This started after 10,000 miles. It only did this on a warm engine (after several starts and stops). It was fine when shifting into higher gears.

Turns out that the clutch was defective. It wasn't releasing correctly. My Ford dealer called the Ford service hotline and they confirmed that this is an identified problem on some Focuses. Replacing the clutch was the only solution. They got a new clutch kit from Ford and completed the repairs in a day.

Just got my Focus back today and the problem is resolved.
I have the same issue with my SE Sport, with ~15k miles. It definitely feels (and sounds) like the clutch is releasing/engaging very slowly, but only in gear changes 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6, leading me to believe that only one of the clutches is bad.

I took it to the dealer, and while the tech heard the issue, he mentioned that Ford said that unless it *fails* to shift, they are not to replace anything.

He did mention that he has seen the same rough shifting issue on Fiesta's that have the DCT, and that Ford *has* issued a fix for that.

Thomas - my dealer told me that they are keeping an open file for me and will let me know if something 'comes up' that is affecting me, any way you can get some info from this thread in my service record? Thanks!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #67
Nickrand
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91960
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Nickrand Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsfocus View Post
Any updates on your fix? I suppose all is well ... your fix gives us hope that this issue can be corrected!

I guess with the problem only being noticeable after warm up that would explain why people are having a hard time getting this diagnosed properly, as mentioned by BPEW584.

It's not the hesitation going into 2nd so much but the clutch actually slipping, causing shaking/shuddering that can be very noticeable at times, about half way through 1st gear that I see as my problem. Hoping the service dept will agree and I'm pretty sure they will. I may have to pull in with the clutches warmed up amd take the trans tech for a ride along to demonstrate the failure if they don't see it on the first check.

Keep trying, eventually they have to listen. Try taking the tech for a test drive in your car to demonstrate the problem then request a test drive with him in a new car on the lot to compare with. Hoping there is a difference of course which there should be.
Nickrand got his fixed so certainly there is a fix available.
I want to say that my clutch problem was very noticeable on a warm engine. To the point that passengers asked me what was wrong with my car. The hesitation and shudder at times would be so significant that the whole car would shake for a few seconds before the clutch finally released and the car accelerated further.

The Ford service hotline has identified this as an issue, so if people have an issue as noticeable as mine was, hopefully they can get their Ford dealer to verify the problem with the hotline at least.

After almost two weeks, the problem with my DCT is gone. The only difference I have noticed is my exhaust is slightly louder. Maybe they didn't connect everything tightly when they put the transmission back on. But it's not that noticeable, so I won't worry about it for now.

My worry going forward is that I might have clutch failure again down the road, since my problem didn't start happening until around 10,000 miles.

I was slightly skeptical that something may have been wrong with my car when it was delivered direct from the Wayne assembly plant because it had 47 miles on it at delivery (it was factory ordered and delivered to the dealer by truck). But that is just speculation.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #68
xwhit3devilx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86578
What I Drive: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

FF Reputation: 2 xwhit3devilx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
This DCT is really getting on my nerves lately. It's been hobbling along for some time since the latest TSB but it has never sounded normal- even for a DCT. It clunks rattles and grinds to the point where I'm scared to drive the damn thing sometimes. Shifting gears- especially from first to second, should not make the entire car shake like San Francisco, I'm sorry, I've driven a manual before.

As others have said here it's not just me; almost everyone who has been driven around in my car have at some point wondered if there was something wrong with my car. You hear it so often you just start wondering yourself....

I understand Ford needs to turn a profit and can't afford to repair 200k+ defective Foci but seriously don't just try and reprogram a mechanical issue away. Ford THINK here. Is it good PR to have this many cars driving around loudly rattling and grinding? People can hear that, and trust me they do. What will it be like three years from now (or sooner) when these DCTs start failing in mass? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe these things will just run badly for years and never truly fail. I hope not, for those years would be long and painful.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:14 AM   #69
InfinityCubed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95846
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Metallic SE-Sport

FF Reputation: 1 InfinityCubed Good Standing Member
Yep, when I'm in a parking garage, I can roll the window down and hear it echoing the grinding noise off the walls. Makes me sad.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #70
nick625
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102649
What I Drive: 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 nick625 Good Standing Member
Rough idle or transmission at stop with foot off brake

When I come to stop at a light, with my foot on the brake, it's fine, but when I take my foot off the brake to creep forward, it idles rough and shakes, almost like the engine is going to die (it doesn't), like if you weren't clutching properly in a manual transmission. Anyone else experience this? Mine is a 2012 made in 6/12.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->