2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 103 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #1021
MAD916
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102048
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 MAD916 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
yes the upper strut bearing is part of the pillow ball top and camber plate that comes with the new strut. some on the forum are saying that the pillow ball type struts will eventually develop slop, but currently it is a huge difference..... KSport claims the use a super high quality upper mount and camber plate so I guess time will tell if it holds up. The ability to adjust the ride height and the better dampening is worth it so far.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #1022
Rememo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95534
What I Drive: Was 2012 Focus. Now 2013 Impreza.

FF Reputation: 3 Rememo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD916 View Post
yes the upper strut bearing is part of the pillow ball top and camber plate that comes with the new strut. some on the forum are saying that the pillow ball type struts will eventually develop slop, but currently it is a huge difference..... KSport claims the use a super high quality upper mount and camber plate so I guess time will tell if it holds up. The ability to adjust the ride height and the better dampening is worth it so far.
Interesting. I notice their description doesn't say "eliminate noise", so maybe we will always be stuck with some amount of noise once the Pillowballs break in.

I also stumbled across this excellent article on coil-over noises. Note that it also mentions lubricating some of the parts. Some posters have said that Ford simply lubricated some part and the noise was temporarily eliminated.

http://meganracing.com/tech/faqs.asp...om%20coilovers

Old 08-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #1023
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,154, Level 34
Points: 3,154, Level: 34 Points: 3,154, Level: 34 Points: 3,154, Level: 34
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang74shelby View Post
...Im going to cool down a bit then go back at it hard and heavy, Im not giving up, I love the car I just want the damn thing FIXED.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
Guys, I don't know.... over the problematic areas where it really rattled, the noise is gone. But over some heavy bumps, I can still "hear" the noise that was going on. Not that confident in this new TSB thus far. It is waaaaaay better than it was before, but c'mon. My 2001 had 167,000 miles on it when I traded it in and the front suspension was as quiet as a drunk baby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantheman2012 View Post
...On that note...I am randomly hearing small clunks from my driverside front now. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse...it is still better than when I took it in before the TSB was done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
Had my front end checked out again today. My dealer has already changed the springs, bearings, ect. earlier this year. The noise did not go away. So they looked things over and have ordered a LF Strut. Hopefully this will take care if my clunk and rattle....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksarnstrom View Post
Parts from Ford ordered on 7/31...expected arrival is 9/15! You gotta be kidding me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPilot View Post
My parts are also on order.

Got a call from my CSM today and was told she was escalating my case in order to get the backordered parts for my car in ASAP. Not sure how much that'll change things, but that's what she told me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
So I finally got my TSB done today, at heller ford in escondido. They were very nice. The parts tools about a month to get here. Just driving home, I must say, that the car is impressively quiet. The springs and bearing make some sort of huge difference. It was never this quiet or smooth brand new. Now it's just wait and see if the parts wear out or the noise comes back. I'm crossing my fingers:) Itdid take a lot of conversations with the regional rep, and hat was facilitated by "Thomas" here on the forum. Thanks Thomas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
..."Brian" my regional rep is going to call me today he say, and I will find out more then....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
Well my car has been in for 10 days. They dont have all the parts but are puting back together until the parts arrive. Something about it taking up a lift. (I guess my car is in there way) I wish they would just keep it until its finished!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
Interesting. I notice their description doesn't say "eliminate noise", so maybe we will always be stuck with some amount of noise once the Pillowballs break in.

Hey everyone -

If you're not currently working with your CSM on this issue, please shoot me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info; I'll forward all particulars as soon as possible. If you're working with a CSM, please keep the status quo by letting us all know how it's going. Thanks for the kudos, Lipshurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshew97 View Post
Took my car in on Thursday last week, they worked on the strut noise and the loose headliner. Picked it up on Friday, and with the exception of a small pebble between the rotor and the backplate, all of my noises and rattles are GONE!

Once I took out the damn pebble, my car FINALLY sounds like it is supposed to! NO WEIRD NOISES!

Now, if could get the steering issue fixed, it would feel like a new car!
I'm excited that your suspension noise is completely gone! First, have you talked to your dealer's Service Manager about this steering issue? Please PM me any useful info (VIN, mileage, phone number, dealer name, and a brief description) and I'll look into it.

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Last edited by FordService; 08-22-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Added two posters
Old 08-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #1024
dogma_not
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92255
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ingot SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 dogma_not Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post

I also stumbled across this excellent article on coil-over noises. Note that it also mentions lubricating some of the parts. Some posters have said that Ford simply lubricated some part and the noise was temporarily eliminated.
I am one of those posters here. Ford lubed the strut jounce bumpers on July 25 and so far the noise hasn't returned. I was skeptical that lube was a fix, but I suggest some others try it and see what happens. Nothing to lose.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #1025
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma_not View Post
I am one of those posters here. Ford lubed the strut jounce bumpers on July 25 and so far the noise hasn't returned. I was skeptical that lube was a fix, but I suggest some others try it and see what happens. Nothing to lose.
By jounce bumpers, do they mean the bumpstops on the strut shaft?

I find this hard to believe that this is the issue at the bottom of all of this.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #1026
jsr72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97393
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

Points 142, Level 2
Points: 142, Level: 2 Points: 142, Level: 2 Points: 142, Level: 2
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 5 jsr72 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
By jounce bumpers, do they mean the bumpstops on the strut shaft?
Yes.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #1027
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr72 View Post
Yes.
Well, yes, those would be the jounce bumpers. I did know that.

What I mean to ask, is did they actually lube the bumpstops, or are they calling something else a jounce bumper.

Some dealerships just say big words to make them sound like they know what they're doing.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #1028
ChrisRyan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97815
What I Drive: '12 SE Sterling Grey(5door) 5M 203A

FF Reputation: 2 ChrisRyan Good Standing Member
Arrrg, add me to the list of those who now have to get this looked at. Mine is the driver side and has started getting noisy within the last 2 weeks. Im at 7k miles. I called the dealer today and gave them the TSB number and asked what the time frame for a fix would be. They claim they can have parts next day. I assume they are talking about anything but the bearing. Have any of you had the noise from more than one side? Good luck to all.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #1029
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Points 123,836, Level 100
Points: 123,836, Level: 100 Points: 123,836, Level: 100 Points: 123,836, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Mine has always and only been the passenger side
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 08-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #1030
dogma_not
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92255
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ingot SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 dogma_not Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
What I mean to ask, is did they actually lube the bumpstops, or are they calling something else a jounce bumper.

Some dealerships just say big words to make them sound like they know what they're doing.
I posted the invoice on page 78 http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...267513&page=78

The dealer had suspension tech test drive the car with chassis ears and isolated to "front strut jounce bumpers" on their invoice. I was skeptical... so far after a month, no noises. The invoice says "unusual creeking going over bumps". I only heard rattle/clunks for months going over the slightest of uneven pavement. Now I only hear clunk if I hit a big bump.

Last edited by dogma_not; 08-23-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.