NO indicator for winshield wiper fluid - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #61
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
That doesn't make any sense since there are people claiming that theirs work and/or had it fixed.
I know. I'd been assuming all along that it was there based on what other folks had said. It wasn't until it came up again today that it occurred to me to check the manual. I even went into the removal/installation of the washer fluid reservoir thinking that maybe it would make a reference to a connector for the sensor that had to be removed. Nada.

That said, I have found some discrepancies between the Motorcraft manuals and the actual car. Most are minor and seem to be because of changes in design that might not have been caught up in the manuals yet, but if the manuals are wrong in this case it's a biggie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #62
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
To confuse things further, section 413-01 on the Instrument Panel Cluster contains the following entry:

Low Washer Fluid Level Sensor

"The low washer fluid level sensor is hardwired to the BCM through a single signal circuit and hardwired to ground through a separate ground circuit. The BCM provides a reference voltage to the low washer fluid level sensor. When the washer fluid level is low, the low washer fluid level sensor closes to ground, pulling the reference voltage low. When the washer fluid level is high, the low washer fluid level sensor opens to ground, sending the reference voltage high. "

It just doesn't say where it is or what the BCM does with the information. It doesn't appear to have an indicator on the panel, but I guess it could keep the washer motor from running with the tank empty and possibly burning up.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #63
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
There is a windshield washer fluid indicator/ sensor alert or at least there was on my brother's SEL hatch built on 3/19/12. I haven't run mine that low yet, but his was lighting up a warning notice on the 4.2" instrument cluster screen and bonging at him upon starting the car, the lower the level got past the initial warning it started to get more insistent on the road trip we were on that eventually he had to stop and top it off just to turn the warning off.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #64
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
There's no indicator on the panel. It's (supposed to be) a message on the info screen. And it definitely still tries to pump when it's empty. I like how you're researching though.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 08-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #65
Hypnotoad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85864
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 3 Hypnotoad Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthom62 View Post
I'm not sure if this helps, but I just went through the Service Manual section on Wipers and Washers (section 501-16) and the Wiring Diagrams for same (cell 81-1) and found no evidence of a washer fluid level system. No sensor, no wiring, or anything.

Although I did find out that someone, somewhere, gets the 'headlight washer' option.
The washer fluid sensor is in the service manual, but not in the washer/wiper section. I don't have it handy right now but I believe it is in a section on gauges and sensors, or something along those lines.

The wiring is all there, but Ford forgot to enable it in the 'as installed' configuration table in the early production models. This can be fixed with a dealer's scan tool. This is covered in the following TSB:

TSB 12-04-13 - LOW WASHER SOLVENT WARNING MESSAGE MAY NOT DISPLAY ON VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/14/2012

I had them apply that TSB a few months ago but haven't used enough washer fluid since then to determine if it works now.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #66
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
When mine runs low it displays a message. I have a picture somewhere, I'll see if I can get it on here...

Edit: Found it.

My car is built after 1/14/12.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 08-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #67
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My car was built after the TSB... Will just have to await it like the original clunk TSB :(
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 08-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #68
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
I just called the dealership to set up an appointment, and again they're telling me my car doesn't have this feature. Where's the customer service guy around here? I haven't seen him in a hot minute and I can't find him while searching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
^So annoying. I'm at 31.5k miles and I still haven't had my car fixed for the IA unlocking issue, my transmission grinding noises, and this (which is really the least of my worries). Does anyone know if this fix is just a reprogramming of the BCM or not? If no, I might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone.

I just want to get everything done before my 36k miles are up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
I ran out of fluid about a month ago without an idiot light to tell me so... Maybe the SE Sports don't have it...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthom62 View Post
I'm not sure if this helps, but I just went through the Service Manual section on Wipers and Washers (section 501-16) and the Wiring Diagrams for same (cell 81-1) and found no evidence of a washer fluid level system. No sensor, no wiring, or anything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
There is a windshield washer fluid indicator/ sensor alert or at least there was on my brother's SEL hatch built on 3/19/12. I haven't run mine that low yet, but his was lighting up a warning notice on the 4.2" instrument cluster screen and bonging at him upon starting the car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
The washer fluid sensor is in the service manual, but not in the washer/wiper section...

The wiring is all there, but Ford forgot to enable it in the 'as installed' configuration table in the early production models. This can be fixed with a dealer's scan tool. This is covered in the following TSB:

TSB 12-04-13 - LOW WASHER SOLVENT WARNING MESSAGE MAY NOT DISPLAY ON VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/14/2012

I had them apply that TSB a few months ago but haven't used enough washer fluid since then to determine if it works now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
When mine runs low it displays a message. I have a picture somewhere, I'll see if I can get it on here...

Edit: Found it.

My car is built after 1/14/12.
Hey everyone -

Here's Thomas! I see the due diligence has been done. It's only on trims with the high level message center. Your dealers are best to tell you if it's equipped or not. Please take a look at the Owner Guide, 5th Printing for more info: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...OwnerGuidePage.

Hope this helps,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 08-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #69
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Sorry I haven't replied. I was waiting until after my service appointment today. I just got home with her. With all due respect, Thomas, the manual still doesn't specify any trim levels that I could find. I've also been told by somebody here with access to a service manual that the service manual doesn't even list specific trims. This leads us all to believe it should be on all trim levels.

Anywho, I had a very pleasant experience with the dealership I went to today. West Herr Ford in Amherst. I let them know I was requesting this TSB along with TSB 12-5-5 for the manual transmission. They gave me no hassle and simply asked me my symptoms. My paperwork states that both TSBs were verified and performed, along with the wiper motor seal recall. I can't comment as to the effectiveness of either of these TSBs yet because A) I'm not wasting a full tank of fluid to see if the indicator appears (although I should so we can have a final answer on the SE Sport) and B) because I've been driving around in an 04 Neon 5 speed all day and let me tell you, they are two completely different machines, especially when it comes to the clutch engagement point.

Steve Baldo Ford in Niagara Falls will no longer be used by me. I've had nothing but problems with them since the first time I went there including a nice dollop of grease on a door (that didn't come from them (according to the service advisor (even though there was nowhere else I could've possibly picked it up and it was noticed as soon as I left))), to an improperly installed fog bulb (which I can easily handle on my own now that I know the easy way to get to it), to giving me a complete hassle of having these TSBs done without having to go in during the week. They told me it's a transmission issue without even looking up the TSB.

The only downside of having these TSBs done today was both of my trip computers were reset. I had been using Trip B to determine my overall MPG. I was sitting at 33.1 over just about 15,000 miles.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 08-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #70
brent375hh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94271
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 brent375hh Good Standing Member
Can anybody attest that an SE will give a warning after an update?

Bookmarks & Social Networks