Any interest in headlight modifications? - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #81
wantz12
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89237
What I Drive: 2012 White FF Hatch

Points 2,610, Level 31
Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 wantz12 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
HOLY CRAP! This looks AMAZING! A lot of good work and time and the result is just stunning. Great writeup and congrats!
HN #167
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #82
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,624, Level 95
Points: 24,624, Level: 95 Points: 24,624, Level: 95 Points: 24,624, Level: 95
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Good write up!
2014 FiST-
Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #83
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Fan#: 96374
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

Points 854, Level 15
Points: 854, Level: 15 Points: 854, Level: 15 Points: 854, Level: 15
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 amoosenamedhank Good Standing Member
Did you do a lot of test aiming of the projectors before re-sealing them? Were you ever able to figure out the relay to prevent the dash light?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #84
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,928, Level 33
Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
If you could make an LED DRL and projector retrofit for this car... I would pay you in money and possibly sexual favors.
*sigh* Well, let's get this over with...

EDIT: OMG I'm 4 posts away from 1,500. What am I doing with my life...?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #85
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraychild View Post
This is awesome - Great job at tackling this mod; definitely something I'd be willing to attempt!! Quick question; do you have an pictures of the solenoid wiring into the harness? Just curious to see which pins/wire color you used?

Thanks for posting this!!
I do not have any pictures of it. Sorry. I got anxious to get it back together.The wiring for the Solenoid is red and black and the wiring for the High Beam Bulb is red and black so it worked out nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me.awesome View Post
That is awesome!! i like the LED brow, it looks great. i cant wait to do this to mine. Thanks for the hard work!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantz12 View Post
HOLY CRAP! This looks AMAZING! A lot of good work and time and the result is just stunning. Great writeup and congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Good write up!
Thanks Guys! I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
Did you do a lot of test aiming of the projectors before re-sealing them? Were you ever able to figure out the relay to prevent the dash light?
The projectors themselves do not have an adjustment. But today I figured out they needed to go up more. So I had to adjust them up using the factory adjustment.

I wasn't able to figure out the relay to prevent the dash light. I spent hours trying to, but the Focus won that round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
*sigh* Well, let's get this over with...

EDIT: OMG I'm 4 posts away from 1,500. What am I doing with my life...?
LOL! I figured I would do something outside of the box and I think it turned out pretty well. I have them wired as DRL's. The LED's are 6000k so they blend nicely with the 5000k HID bulbs.

Edit: I also added the link where I purchased my LED strip and added an explanation of the LED strip

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:08 AM   #86
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93444
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
You should try the resistors from Retro-solutions (as referenced in the HID thread). They seem to be working quite well for others, including my setup.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us as well!

I was wondering how this kit would work for us.

The only thing that drives me crazy is the gap between the shroud and the reflector, and that's me being picky haha! This could be remedied by actually cutting a large enough hole for the projector and mounting it in the reflector... which is FAR easier said than done.

However, this way still looks pretty damn good.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #87
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Fan#: 96374
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

Points 854, Level 15
Points: 854, Level: 15 Points: 854, Level: 15 Points: 854, Level: 15
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 amoosenamedhank Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
The projectors themselves do not have an adjustment. But today I figured out they needed to go up more. So I had to adjust them up using the factory adjustment.

I wasn't able to figure out the relay to prevent the dash light. I spent hours trying to, but the Focus won that round.
I guess I was more thinking if you didn't round the holes our correctly (not saying you did this... but I could very easily see me doing this) that the projector would sit off center. Then you'd want to try and compensate some how to help line them up. You wouldn't really know if you were off until you put them on the car. I just like to ensure everything looks good before putting the lens back on.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #88
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90891
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 DaeHanL Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwill9886 View Post
The only thing that drives me crazy is the gap between the shroud and the reflector, and that's me being picky haha!
When I did a reftrofit on my VW Corrado SLC, I merely painted the inside of the reflector bowl. It obviously doesn't need to be reflective any longer, and that hides shroud gaps rather well. I also painted the housing black, but that's because I hate chrome! Shrouds were painted gunmetal.

Miss that car...

2012 FF5DR SE Sport, 5-Spd, and ALL the 'fixins!
-DaeHan
Old 08-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #89
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwill9886 View Post
You should try the resistors from Retro-solutions (as referenced in the HID thread). They seem to be working quite well for others, including my setup.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us as well!

I was wondering how this kit would work for us.

The only thing that drives me crazy is the gap between the shroud and the reflector, and that's me being picky haha! This could be remedied by actually cutting a large enough hole for the projector and mounting it in the reflector... which is FAR easier said than done.

However, this way still looks pretty damn good.
Thanks! The gap isn't too bad. I was worried too, but once I got it together, its barely noticeable. The material the reflector is made of is very dense. Most reflectors in cars you have to be careful with because the silver will flake off if you even touch it, but not these, I am sure you could beat someone with these and it would be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
I guess I was more thinking if you didn't round the holes our correctly (not saying you did this... but I could very easily see me doing this) that the projector would sit off center. Then you'd want to try and compensate some how to help line them up. You wouldn't really know if you were off until you put them on the car. I just like to ensure everything looks good before putting the lens back on.
I ground very carefully and in small amounts to ensure the roundness of the hole that way I wouldn't run into any issues. There isn't much that needs to ground down anyways, its a very small amount. I can still get the stock bulb back in and secure. I understand where is your concern is though, we share the same concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeHanL View Post
When I did a reftrofit on my VW Corrado SLC, I merely painted the inside of the reflector bowl. It obviously doesn't need to be reflective any longer, and that hides shroud gaps rather well. I also painted the housing black, but that's because I hate chrome! Shrouds were painted gunmetal.

Miss that car...
I love Corrado's. Before I got to my first duty station (Fort Leonard Wood) I bought a 1990 VW Corrado G60. What a fun car. The Supercharger whine was intoxicating.

Update: The LED's I installed have created a problem for me. It limits the amount of the adjustment of the reflector. The projectors in low beam are not at a distance I would like to have the light reach. So I am going to get the thin black LED strips and install those instead. Sucks because those LED's are pretty and very bright for little 5mm LED's. I guess thats the price of being the Lab Rat. LOL!

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #90
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

Points 21,609, Level 92
Points: 21,609, Level: 92 Points: 21,609, Level: 92 Points: 21,609, Level: 92
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Those look FANTASTIC! Excellent work.
SR#74/SMk3C#17/YBOC#03
Bill M.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.