Intelligent Oil Life Monitor - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #61
Tiger-Heli
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytonya View Post
On the dreaded how long between changes topic, I have honestly never know what to do! You read so many different things, anywhere from 3,000 to 10,000 and also depending on driving conditions.
There isn't a single correct answer for this. Older cars recommended 3,000 miles. Newer cars without an IOLM usually recommend either 5,000 or 7,500. Either of those are pretty convenient b/c I rotate the tires at 5K, so it's either aligned with the tire rotation or between them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #62
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ladytonya
On the dreaded how long between changes topic, I have honestly never know what to do! You read so many different things, anywhere from 3,000 to 10,000 and also depending on driving conditions.
The best answer to this question... That will cause the least amount of hassle is do what the manufacturer of the car reccommends.. Especially when under warranty.. If you deviate away from thier recommendations too much, they can deny a warranty claim on an engine failure if you wait too long between changes.

Outside of that...

Change it when it gets dirty.... When you can't see through it anymore, its dirty enough that it should be changed.. Or if there are signs of contamination in the oil (water, fuel, etc.)

On a brand new engine you want to change the oil right after its been broken in to flush out the junk that gets in the oil from the rings and bearings seating.. anywhere from 500 to 1000 miles usually here..

It also depends on how long you plan to keep the thing.. if your gonna trade it off in 2 years... it wont really matter much if you ever change it or not.. by the time the damage becomes a problem you won't own it anymore.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #63
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Dark oil shows that the detergents in the oil are working well--it's not necessarily a sign that the oil needs to be changed. If you really want a better idea of when you should change your oil, have it analyzed by a lab when you change it to see how well the additive package is holding up between changes. Blackstone labs will send you an analysis kit for free if you request one online.

At the very least, follow the recommendation in your manual (below) and change it when the OLM comes on, at 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.

Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #64
ZimDalf
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103092
What I Drive: 2012 blue 5dr 5spd se sport

FF Reputation: 1 ZimDalf Good Standing Member
Don't trust new tech too much!

I got my oil changed for the first time today, car was just over 16,000km but system didn't tell me to change the oil...

Guy at Ford dealership says "yeah some people are coming in with over 20,000km first oil change, because monitor didn't tell them to come in sooner."

Well I guess anyone who knows anything about cars should know better, but then when I got mine the salesman told me not to worry about changing the oil until the monitor told me to...

Weird.

Why didn't Ford send the owners a letter?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #65
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimDalf View Post
Don't trust new tech too much!

I got my oil changed for the first time today, car was just over 16,000km but system didn't tell me to change the oil...

Guy at Ford dealership says "yeah some people are coming in with over 20,000km first oil change, because monitor didn't tell them to come in sooner."

Well I guess anyone who knows anything about cars should know better, but then when I got mine the salesman told me not to worry about changing the oil until the monitor told me to...

Weird.

Why didn't Ford send the owners a letter?
The dealer either didn't know better or is looking for an excuse to void the power train warranty as the manual clearly states that you are required to change the oil no later than 10,000 miles (16000km) or 1 year which ever occurs first if the IOLM does not light up.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #66
NCMXRACER127
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94288
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 NCMXRACER127 Good Standing Member
Im not the most intense car Guy on here but no one should ever let a new car go 10000 miles on the same oil. If someone is going to let their car go for that long without changing their oil then they need a lesson. I dont care if the motors from the 1900 or built yesterday all motors have a break in period and its way less then 10000.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #67
ZimDalf
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103092
What I Drive: 2012 blue 5dr 5spd se sport

FF Reputation: 1 ZimDalf Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMXRACER127 View Post
Im not the most intense car Guy on here but no one should ever let a new car go 10000 miles on the same oil. If someone is going to let their car go for that long without changing their oil then they need a lesson. I dont care if the motors from the 1900 or built yesterday all motors have a break in period and its way less then 10000.
If that's true and I would guess it is, it should be in the programming.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #68
NCMXRACER127
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94288
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 NCMXRACER127 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimDalf View Post
If that's true and I would guess it is, it should be in the programming.
I agree, it should be in the programming for the everyday person.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #69
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddz3 View Post
Change it when it gets dirty.... When you can't see through it anymore, its dirty enough that it should be changed.. Or if there are signs of contamination in the oil (water, fuel, etc.)
TboneZX3 summed this up, but I want to add something to it.

My bypass filtration system doesn't let the oil get dirty. The picture below is almost 3,000 miles on the oil. Most cars would already have the oil in the sump begin to darken. Mine looks so clear, you have to get the angle of light correct to tell how high it is on the dipstick.

With that being said, I will have to rely on UOA's to tell me when it's time to change the oil. I guarantee you, it will not be less than 15,000 miles or 18 months. I'm expecting beyond that. I also guarantee that my engine will wear LESS than any 2012 Focus without a bypass filtration system using Ford's recommended lubricant for 10,000 miles or less.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #70
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Question about the Vehicle Health Report. Has anyone figured out a way to have this information sent to an e-mail address instead of a mobile phone? I don't really want my phone involved in this process.

How to register your vehicle

Create your SYNC Owner account in three steps:
1. Account set-up
Enter your email address and create a password
Select a security question and create a unique answer to keep your account private and secure

2. Add your vehicle
Enter your Vehicle Identification Number (or VIN)

3. Contact information
Enter your name and address
Enter the active mobile phone number that you’ll use with SYNC Services and Vehicle Health Reports

Bookmarks & Social Networks