Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 130 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #1291
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
Actually, I've had no problems with mine. I'm just referring to the folks that seem to be having problems that are inexplicable, as they keep recurring after multiple re-flashes.

I've seen a few Youtube videos that highlight problems that my car has never had, so I know a problem exists. But I do feel sure that there are a few out there that are blowing it out of proportion. Does my DCT behave itself 100% of the time? Hell no. I was driving out of the dealership on Saturday morning after my grille shutter recall was done, and it SLAMMED into second gear while driving through the parking lot. I just don't think the DCT likes to putt-putt around, and this is something that I accept about it. I suspect that there are people who aren't willing to accept that there are ANY differences between it and a traditional auto, and they're in for a disappointment.

This is the other reason that dealerships are in such a tough spot. If someone had bought MY car, expecting it to feel exactly like their last automatic, it'd probably be in the service department every week. There's nothing a dealership can do about the way it feels. A DCT is a DCT, and it'll never be a slushbox. But how do you explain this to someone who's set in their ways and has certain unrealistic expectations, especially when they don't know why their expectations are unrealistic? Rock - Hard Place.

So, I think this whole DCT drama is a combination of some cars with REAL problems, combined with cars like mine that just feel different, and therefore are deemed defective by their owners, when they're really not.
I agree. My tech is very thorough and re-flashed everything as instructed in the FSA. It seems that some techs are lazy and do not do as instructed and perhaps this is causing some problems. I have developed a good relationship with my tech and we discuss everything he is going to do and what to expect. I simplify the explanations for my wife and so far, all she says in response to my "Is the car treating you well?" is "Wonderfully."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #1292
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Actually, I've had no problems with mine. I'm just referring to the folks that seem to be having problems that are inexplicable, as they keep recurring after multiple re-flashes.

I've seen a few Youtube videos that highlight problems that my car has never had, so I know a problem exists. But I do feel sure that there are a few out there that are blowing it out of proportion. Does my DCT behave itself 100% of the time? Hell no. I was driving out of the dealership on Saturday morning after my grille shutter recall was done, and it SLAMMED into second gear while driving through the parking lot. I just don't think the DCT likes to putt-putt around, and this is something that I accept about it. I suspect that there are people who aren't willing to accept that there are ANY differences between it and a traditional auto, and they're in for a disappointment.

This is the other reason that dealerships are in such a tough spot. If someone had bought MY car, expecting it to feel exactly like their last automatic, it'd probably be in the service department every week. There's nothing a dealership can do about the way it feels. A DCT is a DCT, and it'll never be a slushbox. But how do you explain this to someone who's set in their ways and has certain unrealistic expectations, especially when they don't know why their expectations are unrealistic? Rock - Hard Place.

So, I think this whole DCT drama is a combination of some cars with REAL problems, combined with cars like mine that just feel different, and therefore are deemed defective by their owners, when they're really not.
Finally there are posters here who I am in total agreement with, however, when I posted similar comments I was pounded into ground by the disgruntled few.
It won't be long before their posts begin. :)
Old 08-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #1293
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Let 'em. DeNile is a river in Egypt.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #1294
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatto View Post
Finally there are posters here who I am in total agreement with, however, when I posted similar comments I was pounded into ground by the disgruntled few.
It won't be long before their posts begin. :)
I can handle the pounding. Our Focus, as well as my little Fiesta, is a fabulous car.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #1295
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99994
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
I think it's important to understand that there are two issues here. Yes, there are good cars, and yes, there are bad cars. Yes , there are people who do not like the DCT and will complain about it. Yes, there are people who are having major problems with their cars and have every right to complain. For people with a good car, yes, it's fabulous. For peole with problems, it's junk.

Do a little more research of other forums and blogs. The so called "few' on this forum are not the only ones with major problems. Sloppy shifting, delayed downshifts, stalling, grinding, defective steering racks, defective wheel bearings, defective struts, ( I call these items defective because many failures are before 5,000 miles) are being reported on many blogs and other forums. Service managers have stated there are problems and they either don't have a fix or Ford will not authorize a fix. Yes, the dealers are caght in the middle and i found mine to be honest and helpful, but that didn't get the job done. I find it interesting that those who want to blame the owners for not learning, or not knowing how to drive or for causing these problems are those who are NOT having any problems. I'm sure if you drove a car that has a trans that sounds like a coffee grinder, or a steering rack that's defective or any other of the noted problems you would be telling a different story. Consumer Reports dropped the Focus' rating due to the DCT. J. D. Powers dropped Ford's quality rating due to "My Touch" and transmission problems. People aren't imagining these problems. They are admitted to by service managers, but not Ford. The problems are real, and at times unsafe and just as bad is the poor customer service by Ford corporate. Excuses don't make for satisfied customers.

Don't be so hard on those who are having problems...you don't know what they are going through.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #1296
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101801
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
We must be driving different cars. I do not drive my wife's Focus often, but, every time I do, the DCT performs flawlessly. I sympathize with those who are having problems, and while I do not know how widespread the problems are, I am certain that Ford is responding in a responsible fashion. Fixes are never fast enough for those with a problem.

I think that the DCT is solid technology that is experiencing some problems, some of which are caused by customers who expect the transmission to behave like a traditional torque converter based automatic which it never will.

If my wife's car was having a problem I would be working closely with my dealer (who is excellent) and the transmission tech who services both the Focus and my Fiesta (5-speed).
It's too bad there are so many folks out there without this reasoning capability. Thank you for being one of the exceptions! Like any new model I'm sure the Focus has some legitimate issues that need to be resolved. One can expect this trend to continue indefinitely as it does with ANY complicated product in it's first mass production run.

Combine these somewhat expected issues with poor dealer network competency on the new product (again, pretty frickin typical unfortunately) AND customer perception and you get threads like these.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that a voluntary buyback is NOT an admission of an issue. Most vehicles bought back have no verifiable issue. I can't tell you how many cars I've seen be bought back over complaints that NOBODY BUT THE CUSTOMER can verify exist. All buybacks are sent to a dealer for final repairs/inspection and then sold again to a customer that something like 90% of the time has NO related complaints to the buyback. Any dope can see that given the lack of continuing issues = car was never "defective" in the first place. The truth of the matter is that if one is persistant enough they can get any vehicle bought back. Ford loses something like an average of $10,000 per buyback. Around the time they've got that much into warranty service they'll consider a voluntary buyback especially considering that by the time the 10K number is reached the customer has already notified the BBB. It's more of a cost/benefit analysis than it is a "Oh, I'm so sorry your car is junk lemme just give you your $ back".

I hate to wrap everyone into this bundle but it still shocks me how irresponsible car buyers are these days. I try on a $20 pair of jeans before I buy them... but there are still idiots who take a 10 mile around-the-block test drive in a demo, playing with the bells & whistles while the salesman yacks on and on and then sign a 20,000-80,000 note on a car they've never driven. Just because you paid a crapload of money does NOT exempt you from being disatisfied with a product that is made by the millions every year! In a perfect world such expensive equipment would be free of any issue of any kind and satisfy your expectations in every regard. Unfortunately, humans make these things and humans make mistakes. Jesus doesn't build cars and until he does - they will continue to have some occasional issues RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!

You also get what you pay for. Go spend $150,000 + on a car if you want "warm towel" service and absolutely perfect material quality, operational characteristics, etc. When folks complain about an entry level car not meeting their expectations I think of a guy who buys a coach airline ticket and isn't satisfied with the seats, legroom, food service, noise levels, etc. I know $30,000 is a lot of money but in the car world it's Mickey Mouse. Sorry, but it's the truth. If your car has a legitimate issue WHEN COMPARED TO OTHER LIKE UNITS it will be resolved - especially if you handle it with grace. "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar" they say. But if you are one of the first time car buyers mentioned above scraping together enough $ to buy an entry level car and aren't satisfied with it's "normal characteristics" SHAME ON YOU. You made your bed and should lie in it instead of flooding the internet with dubious claims of poor build quality and customer service.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #1297
BlueIce2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102657
What I Drive: 2012, Blue Ice, SFE

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I agree. My tech is very thorough and re-flashed everything as instructed in the FSA. It seems that some techs are lazy and do not do as instructed and perhaps this is causing some problems. I have developed a good relationship with my tech and we discuss everything he is going to do and what to expect. I simplify the explanations for my wife and so far, all she says in response to my "Is the car treating you well?" is "Wonderfully."
Thanks for the info; my car is in shope for the 3rd time. I was told it had to be broken in and my problem has been going from 20 to 40mph driving thru town, It was fine for a few thousand miles and them it wanted to stop runnin in traffic; that's why I'm afraid to drive it, They told me they reset the computer again but is that going to fix it or am I going to have this prob again?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #1298
nursing1991
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102827
What I Drive: 2012,Black, sedan

FF Reputation: 1 nursing1991 Good Standing Member
Bad car!!!!

I got my Focus SEL with touch and nav. June of 2011 it has 18,880 miles on it. They say its NORMAL for it to do it the first few 1000 miles well mine has 18k and it still does it. It is the worst in traffic when we have to start then stop and its annoying when you go up a hill and it so lous and sounds like the metal just feel out from underneath your car. I went to 2 diffrent dealers and they both said it was not an issue. And the one showed me a 2010 focus paper saying that it is supposed to do that and that i have to deal with it. My uncle works in MI at Ford and he was intown for july4th he drove it and said thats not normal. If you are a family member and you baught a car and you keep geting the run around contact the member who works for ford and because they have something where you can complain and he told me that i would get something out of it. It is sad when I cant even take off to turn into a parking lot because my car just dosent want to go. I had a 2008 focus befor this one and it had NOOOOOO problems what so ever. He called me yesterday and told me that something good will come from it and that he will take care of it. I WILL NEVER buy a ford again because everytime i take it to service they are rude to me and they try and treat me like i dont know anything. * when you go to get your car worked on ALWAYS ask for the name and position of the person who is dealing with you because you can complain on them and that is a hit on their blue oval certification and if they lose that they cant work on the cars or do anything!!!!! My uncle told me that. Its bad when they wont fix the car and they know there is a problem. well like i said my car has over 18k miles and it still does it so dont let them fool you!!! remeber about the names and position and if you are a family memeber contact your family who works for ford!!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #1299
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
There are over 250000 2012 Ford Focus's on the road sold over the last 12 months. If the Focus and associated dealerships are as bad as some here portend why are we not reading about it or hearing about it on TV or radio?
I've been around long enough to remember the uproars over the Pontiac Cutlass, the Chevy Vega, the Ford Pinto, The Chevy Corvair, the Cadillac Diesel, Dodge Dart, but, no uproar over the Focus.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #1300
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiaclover812 View Post
do you still have recall letter? I'm afraid to drive mine also. MIne will get anywhere from 30 to 43mpg but lately it will just start dropping below 30 as I drive. NOTHING ON THIS CAR IS RIGHT!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
If you are afraid to drive your car, then take it to the dealer and have it looked at under warranty. If your dealer is not being cooperative, then you should contact our Ford Customer Service representative with your name, VIN, and the dealer in question. Uncooperative dealers cooperate after being contacted by Ford corporate.
Please drop me a PM with your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info; I'll have your regional Customer Service Manager assess this situation. Thanks for the recommendation, whynotthinkwhynot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk5dr64 View Post
...Both clutches were replaced in the car and it was test driven by the technician and service dept manager. They both felt the car was not "right" and both clutches were replaced again.

My car was ten returned to me and it drives perfectly, shifts perfectly, and does not grind...

...Town And Country Ford in Charlotte NC is highly recommended by this happy Focus owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatto View Post
I checked with my Ford dealer and sure enough the service manager sat with me and explained all the nuances of the Focus Trans. This was per a directive issued by Ford to all dealerships. The manager said if I noticed any problems with the trans to bring the car in and they would be rectified as quickly as possible. All American Ford is a great place to do business. I feel relieved that should a problem arise it will be expertly dealt with.
I appreciate the positive dealer buzz. How long have you had the two new clutches, Blk5dr64? Be sure to share your feedback here too: http://social.ford.com/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjessop View Post
Same problem here......what's new it's a 2012 Focus. Car has been a trainwreck from day one and I have never heard so many lame excuses from a dealer...Finally forced them to acknowledge and replace the steering rack....fixed! So why not just fix our transmissions? Ford Sync, don't get me started, gave up complaining to save my blood pressure...
We're looking into all transmission feedback. I'd like to send this to your area's Customer Service Manager; please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info.

Quote:
...I think that the DCT is solid technology that is experiencing some problems, some of which are caused by customers who expect the transmission to behave like a traditional torque converter based automatic which it never will.

If my wife's car was having a problem I would be working closely with my dealer (who is excellent) and the transmission tech who services both the Focus and my Fiesta (5-speed).
Quote:
...I have developed a good relationship with my tech and we discuss everything he is going to do and what to expect. I simplify the explanations for my wife and so far, all she says in response to my "Is the car treating you well?" is "Wonderfully."
Quote:
Actually, I've had no problems with mine. I'm just referring to the folks that seem to be having problems that are inexplicable, as they keep recurring after multiple re-flashes...
I'm thrilled to hear about your cars! Maintaining a great relationship with your dealer is so important. Speaking of maintaining, here is a link which will help in that regard: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...iceCouponsPage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIce2012 View Post
Thanks for the info; my car is in shope for the 3rd time. I was told it had to be broken in and my problem has been going from 20 to 40mph driving thru town, It was fine for a few thousand miles and them it wanted to stop runnin in traffic; that's why I'm afraid to drive it, They told me they reset the computer again but is that going to fix it or am I going to have this prob again?
You were advised correctly; it definitely needs to be broken in. PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info; I'll fill in your region's Customer Service Manager about this. When will you be picking it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursing1991 View Post
...It is the worst in traffic when we have to start then stop and its annoying when you go up a hill and it so lous and sounds like the metal just feel out from underneath your car. I went to 2 diffrent dealers and they both said it was not an issue...My uncle works in MI at Ford and he was intown for july4th he drove it and said thats not normal.[B]...I had a 2008 focus befor this one and it had NOOOOOO problems what so ever. He called me yesterday and told me that something good will come from it and that he will take care of it. I WILL NEVER buy a ford again because everytime i take it to service they are rude to me and they try and treat me like i dont know anything...
Please shoot me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info; I'll document this feedback. Is your uncle currently looking into your Focus at this time?

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks