Transmission Shaking To/From 1st Gear - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #41
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
noahsfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90974
Location: buena park, CA
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

Posts: 311
FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrand View Post
Wanted to add to this topic by saying that my 2012 Focus with dual-clutch transmission (build date December 2012) also started to shudder and hesitate upon acceleration while going into 2nd gear. This started after 10,000 miles. It only did this on a warm engine (after several starts and stops). It was fine when shifting into higher gears.

Turns out that the clutch was defective. It wasn't releasing correctly. My Ford dealer called the Ford service hotline and they confirmed that this is an identified problem on some Focuses. Replacing the clutch was the only solution. They got a new clutch kit from Ford and completed the repairs in a day.

Just got my Focus back today and the problem is resolved.
Glad it was fixed! Looking like this will need to be done sooner or later to mine as well. It still works pretty good and sometimes doesn't even slip, usually under really light or really heavy acceleration it works fine. But from a stop with medium acceleration; about half way thru 1st gear it will start slipping and I will feel the shudder again right before shifting into 2nd and occasionally it will have a strong lurch or harsh shift into 2nd. I havn't noticed if it's worse after warm up ... seems like it happens randomly all the time regardless of hot or cold. The rest of the gears shift normal but I get a random lurch once in awhile in the upper gears as well but no slippage that I can tell.

I will have it looked at by the dealer to see if they can confirm there is a problem.
noahsfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #42
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,329
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrand View Post
Yes, the shudder only happened from 1st to 2nd I believe. I'm not a car expert. It happened between 20-30 mph when accelerating from a stop. I'm assuming this is 2nd, but could be 1st. No shuddering at higher gears.

Not sure about TSB 11-12-13, but I had the latest TSB performed a month ago, so I'm pretty sure I was updated on everything before I took it in for the shudder problem. Before they replaced the clutch, they also did a DCT reset/re-learn thing which they confirmed didn't fix the problem. It was a bad clutch that wasn't releasing properly at that specific gear.
You can be in fourth gear down to 20 mph, so it could have been between 3rd and fourth at least if it was at low rpm on light throttle, but unless you were at higher rpm when it happens how are you sure that you were in first or second at 20-30 mph?
suss6052 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #43
Nickrand
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 91960
Location: Detroit, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium Hatch

Posts: 11
FF Reputation: 1 Nickrand Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It always happened 5-10 seconds after normal takeoff from a stop. I don't think I'd be in third or fourth gear that quickly. Assuming I'd be in first gear immediately after acceleration from idle, it was the release into second gear that the clutch had problems with.
Nickrand is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #44
BPEW584
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
BPEW584's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101933
Location: Toronto, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Hatchback

Posts: 35
FF Reputation: 1 BPEW584 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I will try the battery reset today. Does anyone know what other data/information will be lost (MFT settings, trip etc.)???
BPEW584 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #45
FordService
Official Ford Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Fan#: 79824
Location: Dearborn, MI
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Posts: 4,193
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrand View Post
...Turns out that the clutch was defective. It wasn't releasing correctly. My Ford dealer called the Ford service hotline and they confirmed that this is an identified problem on some Focuses. Replacing the clutch was the only solution. They got a new clutch kit from Ford and completed the repairs in a day.

Just got my Focus back today and the problem is resolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrand View Post
Yes, the shudder only happened from 1st to 2nd I believe. I'm not a car expert. It happened between 20-30 mph when accelerating from a stop. I'm assuming this is 2nd, but could be 1st. No shuddering at higher gears.

Not sure about TSB 11-12-13, but I had the latest TSB performed a month ago, so I'm pretty sure I was updated on everything before I took it in for the shudder problem. Before they replaced the clutch, they also did a DCT reset/re-learn thing which they confirmed didn't fix the problem. It was a bad clutch that wasn't releasing properly at that specific gear.
Excellent; thanks for keeping us in the loop. It sounds like you're referring to the 12B37 Customer Satisfaction Program (DCT reset), which was performed a little while ago. Keep it a well-oiled machine with these: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...iceCouponsPage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Do you know if TSB 11-12-13 was performed?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Thanks for the report. So was it fine in first from a stop, and only shuddered from 1st to 2nd?
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsfocus View Post
Glad it was fixed! Looking like this will need to be done sooner or later to mine as well. It still works pretty good and sometimes doesn't even slip, usually under really light or really heavy acceleration it works fine. But from a stop with medium acceleration; about half way thru 1st gear it will start slipping and I will feel the shudder again right before shifting into 2nd and occasionally it will have a strong lurch or harsh shift into 2nd. I havn't noticed if it's worse after warm up ... seems like it happens randomly all the time regardless of hot or cold. The rest of the gears shift normal but I get a random lurch once in awhile in the upper gears as well but no slippage that I can tell.

I will have it looked at by the dealer to see if they can confirm there is a problem.
Hey guys -

Thanks for showing your support! When do you plan on visiting the dealer, noahsfocus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPEW584 View Post
I will try the battery reset today. Does anyone know what other data/information will be lost (MFT settings, trip etc.)???
Your radio settings will be affected. Please take a look at the Owner Guide, 5th Printing for more info: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...e&ord=68123768. Your dealer is the best party to go over all of this with you too.

Thomas
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #46
ridin440snopro
Focus Enthusiast
 
ridin440snopro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Fan#: 37919
Location: Macomb, Michigan, United States
What I Drive: 2012 OxFord white Focus

Posts: 69
FF Reputation: 1 ridin440snopro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Add me to the list of shuddering in first gear..... Another problem to add to the list. Have 27k miles. Ill be taking it in soon.....
__________________
2003 ZX3
Focus sport header
SVT suspension
Powerworks Supercharger

2012 Oxford White Focus SEL
ridin440snopro is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #47
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
noahsfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90974
Location: buena park, CA
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

Posts: 311
FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hello Thomas ...
Hoping to get it looked at this week or next week. I have noticed after paying more attention to it that it does become more noticeable after the clutches warm up. I also felt it happen in second gear just once last wknd.
I will post back the results from the service dept when I bring it in.
noahsfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #48
FordService
Official Ford Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Fan#: 79824
Location: Dearborn, MI
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Posts: 4,193
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin440snopro View Post
Add me to the list of shuddering in first gear..... Another problem to add to the list. Have 27k miles. Ill be taking it in soon.....
If you'd like, please PM me your VIN, phone number, and dealer info; I'll have your Customer Service Manager look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsfocus View Post
Hello Thomas ...Hoping to get it looked at this week or next week. I have noticed after paying more attention to it that it does become more noticeable after the clutches warm up. I also felt it happen in second gear just once last wknd. I will post back the results from the service dept when I bring it in.
Excellent! Please remember The Works if you need other services performed as well: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...iceCouponsPage.

Thomas
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #49
nick625
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102649
Location: edmond, OK
What I Drive: 2012 Focus

Posts: 15
FF Reputation: 1 nick625 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford Customer Service or Anyone

Can you tell from the VIN whether the car has the latest trnasmission update? Mine was built 6/12.
nick625 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #50
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,329
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick625 View Post
Can you tell from the VIN whether the car has the latest trnasmission update? Mine was built 6/12.
fordowner.com or www.etis.ford.com and look for fsas, tsbs et al.
suss6052 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.