Transmission Shaking To/From 1st Gear - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #41
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrand View Post
Wanted to add to this topic by saying that my 2012 Focus with dual-clutch transmission (build date December 2012) also started to shudder and hesitate upon acceleration while going into 2nd gear. This started after 10,000 miles. It only did this on a warm engine (after several starts and stops). It was fine when shifting into higher gears.

Turns out that the clutch was defective. It wasn't releasing correctly. My Ford dealer called the Ford service hotline and they confirmed that this is an identified problem on some Focuses. Replacing the clutch was the only solution. They got a new clutch kit from Ford and completed the repairs in a day.

Just got my Focus back today and the problem is resolved.
Glad it was fixed! Looking like this will need to be done sooner or later to mine as well. It still works pretty good and sometimes doesn't even slip, usually under really light or really heavy acceleration it works fine. But from a stop with medium acceleration; about half way thru 1st gear it will start slipping and I will feel the shudder again right before shifting into 2nd and occasionally it will have a strong lurch or harsh shift into 2nd. I havn't noticed if it's worse after warm up ... seems like it happens randomly all the time regardless of hot or cold. The rest of the gears shift normal but I get a random lurch once in awhile in the upper gears as well but no slippage that I can tell.

I will have it looked at by the dealer to see if they can confirm there is a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #42
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Yes, the shudder only happened from 1st to 2nd I believe. I'm not a car expert. It happened between 20-30 mph when accelerating from a stop. I'm assuming this is 2nd, but could be 1st. No shuddering at higher gears.

Not sure about TSB 11-12-13, but I had the latest TSB performed a month ago, so I'm pretty sure I was updated on everything before I took it in for the shudder problem. Before they replaced the clutch, they also did a DCT reset/re-learn thing which they confirmed didn't fix the problem. It was a bad clutch that wasn't releasing properly at that specific gear.
You can be in fourth gear down to 20 mph, so it could have been between 3rd and fourth at least if it was at low rpm on light throttle, but unless you were at higher rpm when it happens how are you sure that you were in first or second at 20-30 mph?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #43
Nickrand
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91960
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Nickrand Good Standing Member
It always happened 5-10 seconds after normal takeoff from a stop. I don't think I'd be in third or fourth gear that quickly. Assuming I'd be in first gear immediately after acceleration from idle, it was the release into second gear that the clutch had problems with.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #44
BPEW584
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101933
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 BPEW584 Good Standing Member
I will try the battery reset today. Does anyone know what other data/information will be lost (MFT settings, trip etc.)???
Old 08-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #45
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
...Turns out that the clutch was defective. It wasn't releasing correctly. My Ford dealer called the Ford service hotline and they confirmed that this is an identified problem on some Focuses. Replacing the clutch was the only solution. They got a new clutch kit from Ford and completed the repairs in a day.

Just got my Focus back today and the problem is resolved.
Quote:
Yes, the shudder only happened from 1st to 2nd I believe. I'm not a car expert. It happened between 20-30 mph when accelerating from a stop. I'm assuming this is 2nd, but could be 1st. No shuddering at higher gears.

Not sure about TSB 11-12-13, but I had the latest TSB performed a month ago, so I'm pretty sure I was updated on everything before I took it in for the shudder problem. Before they replaced the clutch, they also did a DCT reset/re-learn thing which they confirmed didn't fix the problem. It was a bad clutch that wasn't releasing properly at that specific gear.
Excellent; thanks for keeping us in the loop. It sounds like you're referring to the 12B37 Customer Satisfaction Program (DCT reset), which was performed a little while ago. Keep it a well-oiled machine with these: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...iceCouponsPage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Do you know if TSB 11-12-13 was performed?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Thanks for the report. So was it fine in first from a stop, and only shuddered from 1st to 2nd?
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsfocus View Post
Glad it was fixed! Looking like this will need to be done sooner or later to mine as well. It still works pretty good and sometimes doesn't even slip, usually under really light or really heavy acceleration it works fine. But from a stop with medium acceleration; about half way thru 1st gear it will start slipping and I will feel the shudder again right before shifting into 2nd and occasionally it will have a strong lurch or harsh shift into 2nd. I havn't noticed if it's worse after warm up ... seems like it happens randomly all the time regardless of hot or cold. The rest of the gears shift normal but I get a random lurch once in awhile in the upper gears as well but no slippage that I can tell.

I will have it looked at by the dealer to see if they can confirm there is a problem.
Hey guys -

Thanks for showing your support! When do you plan on visiting the dealer, noahsfocus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPEW584 View Post
I will try the battery reset today. Does anyone know what other data/information will be lost (MFT settings, trip etc.)???
Your radio settings will be affected. Please take a look at the Owner Guide, 5th Printing for more info: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...e&ord=68123768. Your dealer is the best party to go over all of this with you too.

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 08-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #46
ridin440snopro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37919
What I Drive: 2012 OxFord white Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ridin440snopro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Add me to the list of shuddering in first gear..... Another problem to add to the list. Have 27k miles. Ill be taking it in soon.....
Powerworks Supercharger

2012 Oxford White Focus SEL
Old 08-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #47
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Hello Thomas ...
Hoping to get it looked at this week or next week. I have noticed after paying more attention to it that it does become more noticeable after the clutches warm up. I also felt it happen in second gear just once last wknd.
I will post back the results from the service dept when I bring it in.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #48
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin440snopro View Post
Add me to the list of shuddering in first gear..... Another problem to add to the list. Have 27k miles. Ill be taking it in soon.....
If you'd like, please PM me your VIN, phone number, and dealer info; I'll have your Customer Service Manager look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsfocus View Post
Hello Thomas ...Hoping to get it looked at this week or next week. I have noticed after paying more attention to it that it does become more noticeable after the clutches warm up. I also felt it happen in second gear just once last wknd. I will post back the results from the service dept when I bring it in.
Excellent! Please remember The Works if you need other services performed as well: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...iceCouponsPage.

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 08-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #49
nick625
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102649
What I Drive: 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 nick625 Good Standing Member
Ford Customer Service or Anyone

Can you tell from the VIN whether the car has the latest trnasmission update? Mine was built 6/12.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #50
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick625 View Post
Can you tell from the VIN whether the car has the latest trnasmission update? Mine was built 6/12.
fordowner.com or www.etis.ford.com and look for fsas, tsbs et al.

Bookmarks & Social Networks