Bird [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] fried my exterior paint. Any advice would help - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
drcupcake
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100376
What I Drive: 2009 silver focus

FF Reputation: 1 drcupcake Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minchkin View Post
How long was it left there? I have had some on my car for a few days and it didn't do this...

Hah you guys are funny.

I think I let the dookie stay there for like a month. I also hadn't washed my car amonth before that.

I'd also like to say I generally wash and wax my car to prevent this kind of damage. But money was tight and now I'm paying for it. I also find it strange that this started happening just a couple of years after buying the car. Though used the exterior paint had little to no damage when I purchased it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
Bird crap is highly acidic. Leaving it on there even for a week out in the sun can cause this. it eats through the clear coat and dries out and cracks the paint beneath.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
drcupcake
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
Bird crap is highly acidic. Leaving it on there even for a week out in the sun can cause this. it eats through the clear coat and dries out and cracks the paint beneath.

I guess that's a lesson learned. I usually clean that crap off but I procrastinated. Paying for it now. I'm just going to go get the trunk repainted. This sucks.

I've got another question. What causes the black trim to turn gray? That's starting to happen. Is there anything I can do to stop it from happening with out making it worse? Someone told me if I used something to protect and condition it (or whatever you call it) will just make it worst.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
Miller88
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

Points 1,515, Level 22
Points: 1,515, Level: 22 Points: 1,515, Level: 22 Points: 1,515, Level: 22
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
The volatiles "burn off" of the plastic trim ... aka oxidize.

They sell things to bring them back to life (paint) or you can put some old ATF on them.

I put old ATF on my Cherokee's plastic trim, lasts a month or so then it turns gray again. I have so much old ATF laying around that I'll never run out.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
rangerbay
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76247
What I Drive: 2001 white zts,2001 white wagon,

Points 208, Level 4
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 rangerbay Good Standing Member
Back to Black. I think its a mothers product. You can buy it from the evil oppressors of small business!

By the way. Thats some impressive bird doody. The gov't should do a major and expensive study on this vile fecal matter. Could have military implications!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #16
drcupcake
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbay View Post
Back to Black. I think its a mothers product. You can buy it from the evil oppressors of small business!

By the way. Thats some impressive bird doody. The gov't should do a major and expensive study on this vile fecal matter. Could have military implications!
Haha. CriticalMass actually said that bird dookie highly acidic and I left that on there for like a month :P now I have to get it repaintedi asked this guy at the ford body shop if it would rust. He said the trunk is made out of aluminum and it would not rust. He said eventually the paint will come off but for now it will just look ugly.

Someone suggested I use forever black dye. I'm going use that. I also discovered that the magic eraser is great for removing wax residue on trim and things like bird crap. Both on trim and exterior paint. If its stubborn wax or polish on the trim use a pink eraser and finish it with magic eraser.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #17
dukeofearl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64034
What I Drive: 2009 sterling grey SE & 2011 Taurus

FF Reputation: 1 dukeofearl Good Standing Member
I have a similar problem with pine tree sap. Even worse on the windows, than paint. Car washes don't get it off.
#11 Team Cleveland, #3 Gray Focus Group.

Bookmarks & Social Networks