Transmission Shaking To/From 1st Gear - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #31
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96709
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
[QUOTE=
Hey guys -

Please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer information; I'll shoot this over to your Customer Service Managers for review. Are you interested in obtaining a second opinion, xpartmgr?

Thomas[/QUOTE]

Honestly I have taken it back multiple times to more than one dealer. The car has been in the shop 7 times for a total of 40 days! Nothing ever gets fixed. They say they can't duplicate it or there is no fix because Ford has yet to release an update. So I do not plan to return to the dealer yet again to get the same run around about "normal operation". Even when they see and experience the problem, the service records say normal operation! They will tell me hey we saw that or we heard that, but still normal operation. I think that really means we have no clue how to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #32
BPEW584
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101933
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 BPEW584 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpartmgr View Post
Honestly I have taken it back multiple times to more than one dealer. The car has been in the shop 7 times for a total of 40 days! Nothing ever gets fixed. They say they can't duplicate it or there is no fix because Ford has yet to release an update. So I do not plan to return to the dealer yet again to get the same run around about "normal operation". Even when they see and experience the problem, the service records say normal operation! They will tell me hey we saw that or we heard that, but still normal operation. I think that really means we have no clue how to fix it.
I find that on my car, the shuddering starts after 20 - 30 mins of driving. Perhaps this is why the dealers can't source the issue.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #33
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96709
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPEW584 View Post
I find that on my car, the shuddering starts after 20 - 30 mins of driving. Perhaps this is why the dealers can't source the issue.
Perhaps. I got a call from Ford Custom care yesterday with some advice on how to make my car shift from 1st to 2nd without grinding. She told me engineering told her to have me drive it in sport mode and much harder. They claim this will make it so I can't hear it, thus problem fixed! Seriously! I asked her if engineering was aware that the car did not go into high gear while in sport mode? She said she did not know that. I said yeah that was a stupid suggestion! They actually said it was my fault because I didn't drive it hard enough!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #34
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
When you need new tires, remember these coupons: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...iceCouponsPage. Watch out for those mean corners!

Thomas
I may have overstated the tire squeel for dramatic effect, but maybe not. The car didn't hang revs or feel like it was in neutral, it just smoothly went around the corner. I'm hoping to not need tires for awhile, although I'm not sure how long the standard continentals will last, and when they do wear out what to replace them with. I guess it depends on how long they do last.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #35
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Me too, when I had the shuddering. It was definitely a heat issue. I think there were hotspots on the clutch mating surfaces that gradually went away with subsequent aggressive driving and full throttle accelerations.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #36
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps. I got a call from Ford Custom care yesterday with some advice on how to make my car shift from 1st to 2nd without grinding. She told me engineering told her to have me drive it in sport mode and much harder. They claim this will make it so I can't hear it, thus problem fixed! Seriously! I asked her if engineering was aware that the car did not go into high gear while in sport mode? She said she did not know that. I said yeah that was a stupid suggestion! They actually said it was my fault because I didn't drive it hard enough!
Hey guys -

I've documented all transmission feedback for engineering. If you haven't done so, please PM me your VIN and I'll be sure to share this (and all relevant info) with them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I may have overstated the tire squeel for dramatic effect, but maybe not. The car didn't hang revs or feel like it was in neutral, it just smoothly went around the corner. I'm hoping to not need tires for awhile, although I'm not sure how long the standard continentals will last, and when they do wear out what to replace them with. I guess it depends on how long they do last.
It's quite alright; I was the lead in Singing in the Rain for my high school. Due to this, I know a lot about dramatic effect. View the 2nd Printing of your Tire Warranty here: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...rrantyInfoPage. When it comes time for new rubber, the dealer will recommend different brands for you. I think the ContiProContact tires I'm sporting on my 2012 Focus are great.

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 08-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #37
Nickrand
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91960
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Nickrand Good Standing Member
Wanted to add to this topic by saying that my 2012 Focus with dual-clutch transmission (build date December 2012) also started to shudder and hesitate upon acceleration while going into 2nd gear. This started after 10,000 miles. It only did this on a warm engine (after several starts and stops). It was fine when shifting into higher gears.

Turns out that the clutch was defective. It wasn't releasing correctly. My Ford dealer called the Ford service hotline and they confirmed that this is an identified problem on some Focuses. Replacing the clutch was the only solution. They got a new clutch kit from Ford and completed the repairs in a day.

Just got my Focus back today and the problem is resolved.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #38
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrand View Post
Wanted to add to this topic by saying that my 2012 Focus with dual-clutch transmission (build date December 2012) also started to shudder and hesitate upon acceleration while going into 2nd gear. This started after 10,000 miles. It only did this on a warm engine (after several starts and stops). It was fine when shifting into higher gears.

Turns out that the clutch was defective. My Ford dealer called the Ford service hotline and they confirmed that this is an identified problem on some Focuses. Replacing the clutch was the only solution. They got a new clutch kit from Ford and completed the repairs in a day.

Do you know if TSB 11-12-13 was performed?

If it was, shaft seals would have been replaced.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #39
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrand View Post

Turns out that the clutch was defective. It wasn't releasing correctly. My Ford dealer called the Ford service hotline and they confirmed that this is an identified problem on some Focuses. Replacing the clutch was the only solution. They got a new clutch kit from Ford and completed the repairs in a day.

Thanks for the report. So was it fine in first from a stop, and only shuddered from 1st to 2nd?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #40
Nickrand
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91960
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Nickrand Good Standing Member
Yes, the shudder only happened from 1st to 2nd I believe. I'm not a car expert. It happened between 20-30 mph when accelerating from a stop. I'm assuming this is 2nd, but could be 1st. No shuddering at higher gears.

Not sure about TSB 11-12-13, but I had the latest TSB performed a month ago, so I'm pretty sure I was updated on everything before I took it in for the shudder problem. Before they replaced the clutch, they also did a DCT reset/re-learn thing which they confirmed didn't fix the problem. It was a bad clutch that wasn't releasing properly at that specific gear.

Bookmarks & Social Networks