The hunt to get a Nav MyFord Touch... - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
DayGlow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102589
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 DayGlow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I understand why the nav is a factory only install or otherwise you'd see a lot of smashed windows on Ford's as people steal the SD cards to sell on eBay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #22
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayGlow View Post
I understand why the nav is a factory only install or otherwise you'd see a lot of smashed windows on Ford's as people steal the SD cards to sell on eBay.
Err...kind of.

The SDCard is a necessity to get the Nav system to work, but the MFT system has to be flashed for Navigation, as well. It doesn't mean it has to be a completely different unit...it just needs to be flashed a certain way. They could, easily, reflash your unit to now be a Nav unit and everything would work perfectly once you drop in the SDCard.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #23
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

So I called back today. The module itself is $650. He said there are 3 identical modules on file, but they're all the same price. There's an additional $500 core charge (meaning, if you turn *yours* in as an exchange the part is only $650, but if you just buy it outright it's a $1150 part).

The only things you need are a VIN# and "Module #" of the module. The VIN# is required for the order at all and the Module # is needed to determine which module you need. I think that means if you know the exact module # of the one you want and you have a VIN# that corresponds to that functionality they can order it. He said if he orders it he could have it next day.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #24
DayGlow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102589
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 DayGlow Good Standing Member
Do you have to spend the $700 on top for the SD card?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #25
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayGlow View Post
Do you have to spend the $700 on top for the SD card?
Nope the SDCard can be gotten from a good number of places online (from people selling them) for like $50-$100 max. eBay has multiple for like $55 with the new maps on them.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #26
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

So I called again...the VIN# is not enough. They need the part # of the module to order the correct one. Is there any chance someone has deconstructed their dash a bit and knows the part # of the Nav-equipped MFT module for the 2012 Focus? :)

Searching the internet has garnered me nothing. There doesn't seem to be any hard knowledge on the part #.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #27
aperson9923
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90061
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 aperson9923 Good Standing Member
Subscribed!
Mods: Tint 20/5, LockPick & Backup Camera, K&N Drop In
Old 08-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #28
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
So they will not be able to just upgrade to MFT/NAV by taking in an Non-MFT/NAV car...

But if i'm putting this together right in my head, if you "bootleg" someone's VIN that has the MFT/NAV, along with part number, and serial numbers, you could order the part from the ford parts counter at any dealership and buy the unit outright...

The question now, is there any thing that needs to be done to the vehicle using the IDS system to make an original non-MFT/NAV equipped vehicle work with the "enabled" APIM? or can you just bolt it in, connect the harness and BAM! it works?

if this is the case, and if they ever get MFT/NAV problems solved to where it's stable.. this may be something I may do in the future.. right now im planning full aftermarket for lack of any other options... hopefullly by the time i get around to doing my stereo, a bootlegged MFT/NAV ordering system will be possible.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #29
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94113
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 8 I Bleed Ford Blue Good Standing Member
Well, it is just plug n play, but the car has to have an MFT already. Non MFT equipped cars are stuck with an aftermarket solution.

There is someone on here who got lucky and scored an MFT with NAV out of a wrecked Ti and it was a simple plug in, and now he has nav.
14 Dark Side Fusion SE 200A
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37
Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #30
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddz3 View Post
So they will not be able to just upgrade to MFT/NAV by taking in an Non-MFT/NAV car...

But if i'm putting this together right in my head, if you "bootleg" someone's VIN that has the MFT/NAV, along with part number, and serial numbers, you could order the part from the ford parts counter at any dealership and buy the unit outright...

The question now, is there any thing that needs to be done to the vehicle using the IDS system to make an original non-MFT/NAV equipped vehicle work with the "enabled" APIM? or can you just bolt it in, connect the harness and BAM! it works?

if this is the case, and if they ever get MFT/NAV problems solved to where it's stable.. this may be something I may do in the future.. right now im planning full aftermarket for lack of any other options... hopefullly by the time i get around to doing my stereo, a bootlegged MFT/NAV ordering system will be possible.
Basically, yup. The way it works is that if you're replacing it (meaning, like for like) you get $500 back, so the unit comes out to $650. If you're buying it outright (in this case I would be since my unit is not the same as the unit I'd be getting) you pay the core charge too, so it's $1150. A lot of manufacturers used to do this in the 80s and 90s (and earlier) for parts that didn't wear...so you could get new brake pads and get a good amount back for your old ones.

All you'd need is the VIN# of a car and the part # of the radio. Those 2 things are required to order the part, but there's not really any "checking" on it. It just needs to be on the order form. The part # is obvious -- without it there's no way to know which of the 3 identical modules you need. The VIN# is only because dealerships have limitations on buying certain parts. Usually it's multimedia devices but it's often-times any high-price item. I doubt the supplier even looks up the VIN# to confirm it has the requested module, but I wanted to be sure so I'm using a VIN# from a car that *has* the MFT with nav.

So, yes, you can just walk up to a parts counter (or do it on the phone) and give them the VIN#, part#, and they'll order it for you right then and there. The guy at the local dealer already told me once I get the part # he can have it here next day.

And yes, it's plug-and-play. As long as you're going from a MFT system to another one (whether nav or not, and regardless of whether you have the backup camera package or not) it's just a "drop it in and start the car" bit of work. The one thing to note is that there are *many* different MFT modules. You have to make sure to get the one that's specific to the 2012 Focus (other models come with a hard-drive or connect to different types of modules).

Either way, as soon as I get a part # I'll order it and see what happens! I'll let everyone know, obviously. Once we get the part # it'll be easy to buy them in the future.

Bookmarks & Social Networks