anyone using premium gas ? - Page 59 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #581
cessna1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97921
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 cessna1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
You posted some interesting info here most of which seem at least plausible. I'm a little skeptical of the $1 /per gallon less due to Ethanol. I would be curious to know the estimated actual total cost to produce a gallon of Ethanol. Over the past few years, I have filled up at a station that carries E85. As gasoline (E10) has cycled down to $2 dollars and back up to $4. The E85 has always just tracked at .30 cents under the E10. So, were they selling E85 at a loss at $2? Are they making a great margin now getting $3.79?
Chicago Board price today is $2.57 for ethanol dropping to $2.30 next year. Earlier this year it was leaving the plants at around $2. Lots of E85 advocates frustrated with middlemen and retailers pricing to high when it was so cheap leaving the ethanol plants earlier this year. Another good one, a few years ago, an ethanol plant just west of Oshkosh WI was direct marketing their product(E10,20,30and 85)though their cardtrol stations around eastern WI. Would you believe the petroleum marketers assoc. sued for pricing to cheap using the minimum mark up law the state has and won. I'm in several plants and they are still making a slight profit for this year paying as high as $8.26 per bushel of corn. They don't tell us investors all the secrets so for all I know they may have bought corn on the board earlier when it was cheaper and making it there.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #582
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1 View Post
Chicago Board price today is $2.57 for ethanol dropping to $2.30 next year. Earlier this year it was leaving the plants at around $2. Lots of E85 advocates frustrated with middlemen and retailers pricing to high when it was so cheap leaving the ethanol plants earlier this year. Another good one, a few years ago, an ethanol plant just west of Oshkosh WI was direct marketing their product(E10,20,30and 85)though their cardtrol stations around eastern WI. Would you believe the petroleum marketers assoc. sued for pricing to cheap using the minimum mark up law the state has and won. I'm in several plants and they are still making a slight profit for this year paying as high as $8.26 per bushel of corn. They don't tell us investors all the secrets so for all I know they may have bought corn on the board earlier when it was cheaper and making it there.
Minimum markup law?? What communist passed that law?! Oh, wait must have been Oil Co lobbyists..
Old 08-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #583
cessna1
Focus Enthusiast

Wisconsin's Minimum Markup Law: Mandated Pain at the Pump. By ... The Effects of the Unfair Sales Act on Retail Gasoline Prices in Wisconsin .

Just google it and read
Old 08-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #584
cessna1
Focus Enthusiast

Here is something I find interesting. I've been using E85 exclusively for the first 2500 miles. Today I was getting low so stopped at the blender pump at the town ten miles away and as hard as it was to do, I put in E30 instead. The AFE in the dash was reading 31.6 and when I actually calculated it out it was 30.5 when I filled to the brim with 10.33 gallons. I figure I had about 1.5 gallons of actual ethanol left and added 3.1 more from the E30 making it about E40. By the time I drove the ten miles home the AFE was on 42.5 so if you guys are right, if I put straight E0 in it should get about 60 mpg. The E30 is priced 30 cents more than E85 and 30 cents less than E0 87 octane. E30 was $3.399.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #585
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 4,304, Level 41
Points: 4,304, Level: 41 Points: 4,304, Level: 41 Points: 4,304, Level: 41
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Here is something I find interesting. I've been using E85 exclusively for the first 2500 miles. Today I was getting low so stopped at the blender pump at the town ten miles away and as hard as it was to do, I put in E30 instead. The AFE in the dash was reading 31.6 and when I actually calculated it out it was 30.5 when I filled to the brim with 10.33 gallons. I figure I had about 1.5 gallons of actual ethanol left and added 3.1 more from the E30 making it about E40. By the time I drove the ten miles home the AFE was on 42.5 so if you guys are right, if I put straight E0 in it should get about 60 mpg. The E30 is priced 30 cents more than E85 and 30 cents less than E0 87 octane. E30 was $3.399.

That is really good mpg still, most people are getting 30 with E10. Plus obviously it won't scale to 60mpg.

What really would be interesting is if once tuning becomes available you tuned the engine for E85, probably would help it more.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #586
kenskiv
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102637
What I Drive: 2012 L-Green SE Hatch 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 kenskiv Good Standing Member
Quote:
Excuse me for the noob question. You have been running E85 in a 2012 focus without any problems?

Thanks...
Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #587
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 4,304, Level 41
Points: 4,304, Level: 41 Points: 4,304, Level: 41 Points: 4,304, Level: 41
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenskiv View Post
Excuse me for the noob question. You have been running E85 in a 2012 focus without any problems?

Thanks...
Later 2012s and 2013s are flex fuel vehicles
Old 08-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #588
cessna1
Focus Enthusiast

To tell you the truth, I can't hardly believe the AFE read out. Also, I did drop about 100 feet in elevation but was going against a 17 mile per hour wind. Will be interesting to figure actual when this tank is about empty. kenskiv, I've been doing E30 or a little more in several unmodified mid 1990's vehicles for 10 to 11 years without problems so if you have access to an E85 pump, add a little and see how it works.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:20 AM   #589
infantry
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102571
What I Drive: 07 E63, 07 STi, 12 Focus

Points 31, Level 1
Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 infantry Good Standing Member
I just picked up a 2012 Focus SE with the e85 flex fuel, which is a later 2012 build.

I will keep track of my mileage and gallons and manually track it on fuelly.

I will be running Shell VPower 91 octane as that is the highest we can get out in Arizona/California.

I honestly am just going to run the 91 just to make the motor last a very long time, as it's the reason I bought a new one for the lady to drive. I figure if I can get a crazy amount of mileage out of it, I can be happy.

I don't care for extra performance, but it does interest me because if your motor is putting out more horsepower at a certain RPM, it can certainly help in fuel economy if you keep your foot out of it, because you wouldn't need to push your motor as much for the same amount of power, but less RPM's.

The main reason I made sure she goes for Shell 91 VPower is because i've taken apart a few engines and even some right after a single dyno run. And I noticed the 87 crap octane take it's toll on build up inside the motor, specifically the face of the piston just caked with shit. Best way to prevent this is a few extra dollars at fill up. Gas here for 91 is only 3.49 and only getting cheaper now.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:57 AM   #590
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,062, Level 40
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantry View Post
I will be running Shell VPower 91 octane as that is the highest we can get out in Arizona/California.
Don't you have Chevron in your area?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.