ST+center exhaust=no hitch? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

Points 10,801, Level 68
Points: 10,801, Level: 68 Points: 10,801, Level: 68 Points: 10,801, Level: 68
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Here is what I was thinking of doing, then I'd do either a single or maybe dual down turn tips, (one on either side) that are basically hidden from view.

Insert Crappy pshop:

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,256, Level 35
Points: 3,256, Level: 35 Points: 3,256, Level: 35 Points: 3,256, Level: 35
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
I've heard it all before and I don't believe any of it. In my experience the only advantage a roof rack has is that it displays your "lifestyle" way up high for all those folks that like to make a statement about themselves more than they like to ride a bike. That roof racks are a much larger detriment to fuel economy over hitch racks can't be disputed by any serious person. You could probably get around the paint scratches with a little ingenuity but the amount of people that should know better that drive their expensive bikes into their garages or other overhangs thereby ruining their bikes, racks, car roof and garage doors is staggering. All it takes is once after a hard ride when you're pretty fatigued and inattentive. I've seen many people I know do it that I never dreamed would. As for "aeroblades" you got me there, never heard of that and don't care to Google it at the moment but most roof racks with bikes on them are noisy.

That said, the ST clearly chose looks over usability for me at least. I'm not going to buy multiple vehicles just to have a special one to transport bikes and will never use a roof rack. An optional rear exhaust setup that allowed the use of a trailer hitch for a rack would have been nice. It could have even been a dealer installed option. If you look at the back of the ST you can imagine a hitch will be possible but I can't imagine it being as hidden as a regular Focus hitch, it would negatively impact ground clearance on the lowered ST going up and down driveways and it would probably look terrible.

It is disputable by anyone who knows anything about aerodynamics and how it affects a 3200lb car going 60-70mph... you will NOT see a noticeable dip in fuel economy with a roof rack. Especially the Aeroblade (and I don't even have one!) first of all a roof rack is not a sheet sticking straight up catching wind and producing much more drag... it's a rack, usually now designed with "flat" bars across, and a purposefully (and aesthetically cool/customizable) designed "shield" up in front to deflect the air up and over just like your windshield does. So... you know, it's not going to do a damn thing to your fuel economy.

As for slamming your bikes into your garage door and damaging your car, all I read in that paragraph was that you're telling yourself you're going to be one of those people and apparently you don't know how to handle your bike or pay attention. If you're too fatigued to realize your bike is on your roof rack and drive it into your garage, you shouldn't be driving anyway. And if you know a lot of those people maybe you should tell them what I just said.

Just my .02.

Do some research on the matter before you spit out "indisputable" facts.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Points 10,801, Level 68
Level Up 88% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
It is disputable by anyone who knows anything about aerodynamics and how it affects a 3200lb car going 60-70mph... you will NOT see a noticeable dip in fuel economy with a roof rack. Especially the Aeroblade (and I don't even have one!) first of all a roof rack is not a sheet sticking straight up catching wind and producing much more drag... it's a rack, usually now designed with "flat" bars across, and a purposefully (and aesthetically cool/customizable) designed "shield" up in front to deflect the air up and over just like your windshield does. So... you know, it's not going to do a damn thing to your fuel economy.

Just my .02.

He is talking I think more the mileage difference with a rack and a couple bikes on it, versus the bikes being tucked behind the car. I know my friends A4 loses about 2-3mpg highway with either the rack and two bikes, or the rack and a thule box for his skis.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

Points 648, Level 12
Points: 648, Level: 12 Points: 648, Level: 12 Points: 648, Level: 12
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post

As for slamming your bikes into your garage door and damaging your car, all I read in that paragraph was that you're telling yourself you're going to be one of those people and apparently you don't know how to handle your bike or pay attention. If you're too fatigued to realize your bike is on your roof rack and drive it into your garage, you shouldn't be driving anyway. And if you know a lot of those people maybe you should tell them what I just said.

Just my .02.

A roof rack without bikes on it will impact fuel economy a significant bit, perhaps a special aerodynamic one will do so less than a conventional one. Put some bikes up there in the air flow over the top of the car and you're talking a major MPG hit. A hitch rack without bikes on it will impact fuel economy a tiny bit at best and a small bit with bikes on it. It's been documented many times and I just don't have time to go around educating you obstinate deniers, look it up yourself.

As far as running your roof racked bikes into an overhang, no one thinks they will do it but I've seen it happen so often that I know it's a very real concern. It's extremely expensive when it happens.

Quote:
he Roof Rack MPG Experiment

He compared the gas mileage of his car at 54.7 mph (88 kph) with 1) no roof racks, 2) an empty roof rack, and 3) a mountain bike on the roof rack.

He found that compared to the baseline of no roof rack, the empty rack reduced his MPG by -12.7% and the roof rack with a bicycle reduced it by a whooping -27.3%. And since air resistance increases exponentially with speed, the difference would have been even bigger at 70 mph (many people drive at that speed).

While the methodology isn't 100% scientific, and every vehicle will be affected differently by a roof rack, it gives a good idea of how big a difference a roof rack (empty and full) can make.

So please, if you're not using it, take the roof rack off your car (and forward this tip to your family & friends)! It's such a simple trick, like inflating your tires properly, that could save millions of gallons of gas.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...ffect-mgp1.htm
Old 08-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Points 648, Level 12
Level Up 96% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesvt720 View Post
Here is what I was thinking of doing, then I'd do either a single or maybe dual down turn tips, (one on either side) that are basically hidden from view.

Insert Crappy pshop:
Good work! I could probably live with something like that.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Points 10,801, Level 68
Level Up 88% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
I'd probably have to make it myself as no one would be selling it, and a regular focus hitch would hang down further I'm assuming. If I end up getting an ST, I'll make one of these, and either give away the design or sell the hitches to people that want them.

If I don't buy a Fiesta ST (If we get it.) or a Sonic RS, or an ATS, or a thousand other cars I debate getting reguarly.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #17
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Points 648, Level 12
Level Up 96% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Here's how the Fiesta ST concept does it. Two thumbs up from me if I can sneak an electrically retractable tow bar/trailer hitch in there! Even a regular old style hitch would do.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
Frankenbike
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101739
What I Drive: 1995 Pontiac Trans Am, 2000 Harley

FF Reputation: 1 Frankenbike Good Standing Member
Resurrecting an old thread. Curt now makes a trailer hitch for the Focus ST that mounts under the exhaust. I haven't gotten one myself, but I'll spread the word.

Installation PDF with pictures you have to zoom in on:
https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrar..._11350_INS.PDF

Actual product page (you can probably find it cheaper):
http://www.curtmfg.com/part/11350
Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
Superd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87917
What I Drive: '12 candy red titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Superd Good Standing Member
lol you guys are funny fighting over fuel economy changes with or without racks!
i started this thread in case anyone had seen a hitch on a center exhaust car as i dont think i ever have. I really like the '12 hatch i drive now and think i will go test drive an st as i'm pretty sure i am going to really like the performance it offers.
Thanks frankenbike for reviving the thread and posting the curt hitch!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.