DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 146 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #1451
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am using S more and I will have to say it is more likely to be in the right gear when you need to go but it still has enough hiccups for me to say I wish it would sense throttle input better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #1452
Gary_C
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95312
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Focus Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Gary_C Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
I am using S more and I will have to say it is more likely to be in the right gear when you need to go but it still has enough hiccups for me to say I wish it would sense throttle input better.
Exactly.. If the old school method of a kickdown linkage can select the proper gear, Why can't the new computer software do it by the throttle position??
It would seem simple enough since the pedal is no longer a mechanical item. It is just a variable potentiometer that operates a servo motor. Use the output voltage from the pedal to determine downshifts as well as the manifold vaccum. Sometimes you cant build a better mouse trap.
Yes the car is fun to drive in S mode and zip around like a little hot rod but,,
my commute to work everyday which is what i bought it for, doesn't warrant speeding around town.
Driving in D mode, IN MY OPINION, is terrible.

Perhaps the few uf us that are unhappy, have a mis adjusted accelerator pedal, and the ford mechanics are not aware, thinking it is the DTC complaint????
Just thinking outloud.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #1453
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:

Agreed!. I would say it seemed to me like the prior update you could accelerate with a light foot. Meaning you didn't have to have it floored but instead could roll through a few gears with just a light pressure on the gas pedal and it would only shift sooner if you actually let up on the gas. The first thing I noticed after my reprogram that it seems to want to get into the tallest gear as soon as possible. Even while accelerating (Non-floored) it will shift even before it needed too and its usually then where I accept the fun is over. LOL

I can only hope another update happens soon that will resolve these issues.

I should also mention too that if I drive the car like an old lady, it does seem to be fine and the symptoms above aren't really an issue. I suspect because if I'm really not trying to accelerate out of turns and just lugging along trying to drive as conservative as possible then no problems usually. Perhaps thats what Ford was trying to achieve with the latest update. I just wish S mode for me would hold the shift points a bit higher.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #1454
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Amen on that. I would like to think it is a programing or software issue but is seems there are others with the same that are not experiencing any problems. So is my car haunted?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #1455
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Quote:
Amen on that. I would like to think it is a programing or software issue but is seems there are others with the same that are not experiencing any problems. So is my car haunted?
It could be haunted, but it could also be programing, software, or hardware. I've had issues with all three. After the replacement of the clutch packs I don't have the shudder or unresponsive throttle.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #1456
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Unfortunately there are many people having much different experiences with the same software. For some reason the exact software/hardware interaction can result in myriad different results. For example after 12B37 the 6th gear shift point changed for me and one other poster on here that I know of, but most other people say their shift point didn't change. Why??? It's the same software!!!

I'm beginning to wonder if the engineers have taken this adaptive learning way too far. Why can't all cars just come with the same, set-in-stone programming that never changes over time. That way everyone would have the exact same driving experience. Barring a serious hardware problem of course.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #1457
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if the engineers have taken this adaptive learning way too far. Why can't all cars just come with the same, set-in-stone programming that never changes over time. That way everyone would have the exact same driving experience. Barring a serious hardware problem of course.
+1,000,000

One calibration procedure for the computer to learn the clutch engage points and be done with it. I can't stand driving my car now after this "recall".
Old 08-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #1458
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
rp3583, next time you buy a car, test drive it and get the most of the information possible about it. I am sure you didn't do this when buying your Focus, so blame yourself for your stupidity, not everyone else.
Try telling that to all the salesmen who tell customers "it drives just like an automatic". When customers ask questions, then they are not as stupid as you want them to be.

You do raise a good point, but in case the people you're responding to don't respond, it is possible they asked...

And the salesmen are still human, incapable of error along with everyone else...
Old 08-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #1459
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
@unfocused1
I was so many times "the stupid", you cannot imagine how embaressed I am about this.
But since some time, I decided to change this and never buy what ever anyone sells without double checking. And a new car is not something you buy after 15 minutes of dealer's talk, IMO. Not even after 30 minutes, nor 45. They are salesmen, so who think they will speak also about the not that good things, they live in Lalaland. Internet is best for finding the information about what you want and Google is simple to use. Rant closed.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #1460
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
I drive mine in S mode, selectshift 90 percent of the time, except on the open highway.

My feeble brain is still smarter than any software programming Ford has to offer with this vehicle to date. The auto downshifting in S mode when tapping the brake on steep inclines is ridiculous, sometimes revving the engine to over 6K on its own, when just a little brake is needed. This is in S mode, with no selectshift intervention, letting it do its thing.

Other than quirks I may drive-around with the DCT, I absolutely love this car. It's a shame that the evolution of the DCT may take a few more years to comb and groom, before it becomes the game changer I know it is capable of. I'd be ecstatic if they left the computer control castrated in S mode, and just have selectshift as its option only.

Bookmarks & Social Networks