DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 145 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #1441
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I might also post the following quotes from another gentleman who was in your shoes (mad as hell) but was eventually satisfied by Ford's "fix". The point? It is possible!!!
Exactly! Ford will fix it. It may take awhile, depending in the issue, but it will get fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #1442
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
I also think it's premature to say the Focus is meant to "hold together until the warranty runs out". The DCT in has not been a statistically significant problem on the Focus. On TrueDelta, probably the best and most "live" reliabilty site, none of the Focus problems are transmission related.

We complain on this forum significantly more than the standard population. The Focus has actually been one of the least buggy launches for Ford in the last three years. The Fiesta, Explorer, Escape, and Edge have all had more issues. The early Explorers were nightmares.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #1443
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
FWIW, I agree with Voldar on some things but not that the DCT should be driven in a very special way...
Kam327, this Ford Focus with the DCT is my first automatic I ever owned. The rest of my cars were 5MT/6 MT. I also drove automatic slush-boxes but I wasn't fond of them, only when I was in a heavy traffic (10km/h, stop, 10km/h a.s.o.) for more than 1 hour I find their purpose.

When I say that driving a DCT needs some skills, I talk mostly about the driver adapting to it and compensating when needed:
- Like when you come to a crossroad and make a right turn, you might feel when you push the gas pedal during the turn (usually at the exit from the turn), that the car is almost stalling (@plunge@), because the DCT is in a higher gear then the one you are thinking it would be and it needs some harder push on the gas pedal to downshift and make it "going forward". In this situation I either brake (before getting into the turn) and then turn (as I would do with a manual) or continue pushing slowly the gas pedal during the whole turn. When driving a slush-box, you don't do any of these because of the converter (or at least I didn't experience something like this when I was driving one).
- Moving from a standstill also is something to adapt for: waiting a full second before pushing the gas pedal, after lifting your foot from the brake is needed, because if not, you'll rev the car only (the clutch is not engaged). Again, for an MT driver this is "normal".
- changing from D to S and manual downshifting when the car is not in the right gear as it should be (usually when coming from a flat road and having to continue on a steep slope; at some point the car doesn't downshift as fast as you'd expect).

I agree these simple things should not be a problem, but for those who were never used to think (don't take it too personal, please) when drive (usually those who drove slush-boxes all their life and never a manual transmission), they might be seen as big ones. Look at how many complain about how the car "plunges" when doing a turn or when on steep slopes.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #1444
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
When I say that driving a DCT needs some skills, I talk mostly about the driver adapting to it and compensating when needed:
Can't say I've experienced your first bullet point. I don't have to move my foot from the brake to the gas pedal any more slowly than any conventional automatic (I've driven plenty) to get the expected result. And downshifting issues are common across all but the very best conventional automatics - which is probably the primary reason most conventional auto cars have manual shifting modes these days. Just saying that saying a tranny requires "skills and training" is more apropriate for a true manual than the DCT. Anyone can in fact hop in a DCT equipped car and take off with no prior experience. That's usually not true of a manual.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #1445
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
If you get bad clutch behavior by moving your foot from the brake to the gas too quickly from a standstill, there may be a problem with the actuators that engage / disengage the clutch, or the switch on the brake pedal that disengages the clutch. Even when I go from brake to gas as fast as humanly possible, mine accelerates like it should.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #1446
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbjday View Post
Yes it is paired and it is not an iphone. One phone is a Blackberry and the other is a Motorola Citrus. The voice quality is OK for regular phone calls. The Sync calls always cut off the first word, such as connecting. When we get connected, I hear the system OK, such as What service do you want, but when I say directions, for example, it often does not understand until a SHOUT at it. Then, when we say the address it often does not understand and we have to say operator. When the operator comes on they say did you want ......... , so they already know before we say anything. I get the same results with either phone.
Hi, tjbjday -

I'd like to look into this further! Is your Focus equipped with the latest software? If you're unsure, PM me your VIN and I'll take a look.

Before using SYNC Services, I recommend removing the battery from your phone to reset its Bluetooth chip. If that doesn't help, I suggest performing a Master Reset on your system:

http://Support.Ford.com/sync-technol...c-myford-touch

Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions.

Jaclyn

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 08-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #1447
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Too Soon Upshifts Too Late Downshifts

Starting from a dead stop and making left turn by the time I get around the corner the transmission is already in third gear. That is too tall a gear to accelerate from that low of a speed. When I press the gas pedal it will not go! If I mash down hard enough to get it into a lower gear it jerks when it downshifts.
Similar situation, you are coming up to a red light slowing down and the light changes. Again it is not in the right gear to accelerate and does not want to downshift. It seems like it is unresponsive to the throttle input.
One of the most frustrating things I can think of is a car that will not go when you press the gas pedal.
If I take off from a dead stop and accelerate moderately it seems to work pretty well most of the time but it still has its moments. The clutch chatter or jerking has for the most part subsided.
Mine was built 6/12, it must have the most recent software or firmware or programming or whatever it is and I have about 1200 miles. So this I guess is how it works.
I am sure this is all in the name of better fuel economy but there should be some reasonable drivability built in there as well.
I would say I am happy with it about 80% of the time. Unfortunately I own it and pay for it 100% of the time.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #1448
Gary_C
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95312
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Focus Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Gary_C Good Standing Member
Quote:
Can I make a sincere suggestion to you guys? Instead of rashly trading your cars in and losing thousands, try the following:

Short Term: Try driving your cars agressively over the next couple hundred miles (forget about fuel mileage over the next tank or two), and even try to work in a few successive 0-60 hard accelerations on a country road somewhere. That was a suggestion made on here to me early on and shortly after I did it, my launch shudder went away on its own. That was the only problem I had with the DCT and I was mad about it at the time, but with that simple break in procedure I managed to solve the problem on my own. Not saying it WILL be that easy for you, but it MIGHT.

Long Term: If you're worried about the longevity of the transmission, wait until you get to just under 60,000 miles (which the tranny is covered for). Come back on this forum and see how my owners have had to have major tranny work done at 50k+ miles due to early teething problems like you guys are experiencing. If it's a significant amount, pick up the minimum extended powertrain warranty that'll cover the tranny for another 60,000 miles or whatever. It may cost you a thousand bucks, but it's better than losing $6,000 now and has the added benefit of covering the rest of the powertrain to 100k+ miles, something you wouldn't get with the car you traded your Focus in on now anyway.

FWIW, I agree with Voldar on some things but not that the DCT should be driven in a very special way. Sure, there are some nuances you can employ to minimize the problems (such as fluid accelerator motion to minimize bogging down), but it shouldn't be that way. It's just the nature of this beast.
I will give it a try. I drove it today in S mode and shifted as though it were a manual trans. Had no issues at all since I was in control of all the up shifts and downshifts. Maybe if i do this long enough the computer will learn how to shift.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #1449
macatron
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65326
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Focus Ti Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 macatron Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
Starting from a dead stop and making left turn by the time I get around the corner the transmission is already in third gear. That is too tall a gear to accelerate from that low of a speed. When I press the gas pedal it will not go! If I mash down hard enough to get it into a lower gear it jerks when it downshifts.
Similar situation, you are coming up to a red light slowing down and the light changes. Again it is not in the right gear to accelerate and does not want to downshift. It seems like it is unresponsive to the throttle input.
One of the most frustrating things I can think of is a car that will not go when you press the gas pedal.
If I take off from a dead stop and accelerate moderately it seems to work pretty well most of the time but it still has its moments. The clutch chatter or jerking has for the most part subsided.
Mine was built 6/12, it must have the most recent software or firmware or programming or whatever it is and I have about 1200 miles. So this I guess is how it works.
I am sure this is all in the name of better fuel economy but there should be some reasonable drivability built in there as well.
I would say I am happy with it about 80% of the time. Unfortunately I own it and pay for it 100% of the time.
Do you drive mostly in "D" or "S" mode? I drive almost exclusively in "S" mode, and I really enjoy how the car up shifts and down shifts when speeding up and slowing down. The fuel mileage may suffer a little bit, but the driving experience is night and day if you ask me (and I'm coming off of only driving manuals for the last 16 years). The only time I really use "D" is if I'm doing any highway driving because it doesn't really impact anything. So, with that said, give "S" mode a try if you haven't already. My build is 5/12, and I've been having a blast driving mine. :-D
Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #1450
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
I have to agree with your 100% accurate situations you described. Mine is exactly the same way. This car would be a 10 in my book if they just went with a traditional tranny IMHO!

Also S mode doesn't really improve this situation above. At least not now that it's had the latest update. Prior it felt like S was definitely more aggressive but not so much anymore that I can really tell.

Bookmarks & Social Networks