2012 Focus Hitch is available - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #81
cchaos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86214
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 cchaos Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So I just installed the hidden hitch this weekend. Everything went fine until it came to the carriage bolts that need to be fished through -- the bolt heads do not fit through the access hole (similar to the previous poster). I had no problem fishing the wire through otherwise. Other than that, the hitch is installed and seems very sturdy. It was able to support my weight with no problem. But I'm not sure if it's safe to use without the horizontal carriage bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #82
cchaos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86214
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 cchaos Good Standing Member
I removed the hitch and still was unable to fit the carriage bolts through the access hole. I'm still not sure how others got theirs to fit (aside from grinding the heads off).

So, I went to a hardware store and picked up some 3/8"x1.5" carriage bolts/washers/nuts. I was able to fit these bolts through the access hole and use them to tighten the sides of the hitch. These are slightly smaller than the bolts that came with the kit, but at least they fit, and I feel more comfortable using them than nothing at all on the sides.

Other than the carriage bolt issue, I do like the hitch, and like others have said it leaves plenty of clearance. Even with my Thule bike hitch installed, there is enough clearance to backup from my driveway to the street without nicking the ground, something my previous vehicle had a problem with.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #83
reker
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98977
What I Drive: 2012, Sterling Grey, Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 reker Good Standing Member
I finally installed my hitch today. I had to modify it a bit to accommodate my Kuat rack. Also had problems with the carriage bolts not fitting through the frame holes. Just grind off a little on each side and they go right through.

I needed a hitch that would work with a 2" receiver and since they don't make a class III for a focus I made my own.

I then powder coated it the same color as the car.

Installed and works great!

Old 05-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #84
NickCornell
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97233
What I Drive: 2012 Race red Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 12 NickCornell Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faygo Focus View Post
Bikes on hitch, camping gear on roof, people and personal effects inside.

The end.
Check.mate. Agreed, I'm a camper and I live by this
Old 08-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #85
baxdaddy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97890
What I Drive: bluecandy SEL 5dr Poppa Smurf

FF Reputation: 1 baxdaddy Good Standing Member
anybody had an issue with bolts coming loose (as stated by tech support) because you chose not to cut the heat shield? Installing in the A.M. and was curious as to necessity to cut. TIA.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #86
got3fords
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93395
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE Sport HB 203A

FF Reputation: 1 got3fords Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxdaddy View Post
anybody had an issue with bolts coming loose (as stated by tech support) because you chose not to cut the heat shield? Installing in the A.M. and was curious as to necessity to cut. TIA.
Its really no big deal to cut it. But I can understand not wanting to. Personally, if they really feel there is a possibility of it coming loose, just cut it. Just need a decent pair of tin snips or shears. Plus it keeps it up just that much higher for a nice finish.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #87
segen77
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102160
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 segen77 Good Standing Member
I really like the MOD for a 2". This is exactly what I need to do for my bike rack. I don't like the idea of an extension adapter because I would worry it would hit the ground anytime I went into a driveway.

Anyone that has an adapter feel free to chime in.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #88
baxdaddy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97890
What I Drive: bluecandy SEL 5dr Poppa Smurf

FF Reputation: 1 baxdaddy Good Standing Member
Hitch is on, things of note:

1. I too had to grind down heads of carriage bolts to fit through frame
2. I didn't get the wire in my hardware bag...typical for me, seems I am always short a piece
3. Used wax string and safety wire to get bolt and spacer routed through frame
4. I too had a space between frame and hitch flange/plate, getting access to torque wrench before I tighten down any further
5. Noticed the entire hitch can mount more forward or more to the rear depending on personal preference. I went more to the rear to keep stuff off my bumper. Hitch still not out past bumper.
6. I chose not to cut heat shield, the muffler is mounted with it still on there and the screws for the hitch are a bit longer, I don't see them coming loose, YMMV
7. I put my carriage bolts through the frame first, seemed easier with less stuff in the way, plus i had to deal with not having the wires for them
8. I had the back on jack stands but I think it wouldn't be hard to do flat, IMHO
9. NOw I just have to decide what rack to get. Need a 2 but with the grandkids might want to consider a 4 bike.

Hidden hitch purchased through hitchanything.com
Old 08-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #89
got3fords
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93395
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE Sport HB 203A

FF Reputation: 1 got3fords Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxdaddy View Post
Hitch is on, things of note:

1. I too had to grind down heads of carriage bolts to fit through frame
I don't understand this, how hard would it be for the mfg to provide bolts that go right in? Not everybody has access to grinder.

4. I too had a space between frame and hitch flange/plate, getting access to torque wrench before I tighten down any further
This really boggles my mind. How can they make something that far off?

8. I had the back on jack stands but I think it wouldn't be hard to do flat, IMHO
I did mine without jacks. Just backed up to the edge of the driveway.

Hidden hitch purchased through hitchanything.com
See above comments.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #90
biglar412
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99568
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 biglar412 Good Standing Member
Installed a Draw-Tite hitch. Did not use the carriage bolts or blocks that came with the hitch. Bought bolts with smaller heads and used a washer at the head end, then used the washer and nut that came with the hitch on the outside of the bolt. I did not cut the head shield. Going to use the hitch for a 4 bike rack.

Bookmarks & Social Networks