CAI vs k&n drop in - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #31
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99616
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus S

FF Reputation: 1 JL330 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateyo View Post
Simply the K&N drop will not give you any extra hp/tq. It should maybe give better throttle response. Other than that, you'll need to do other customization to get any performance improvement (newmission etc). The K&N is still definitely worth it though.
Not according to dyno charts posted on this site before. But the newmission will definitely help and I'll do it soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #32
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL330 View Post
Not according to dyno charts posted on this site before. But the newmission will definitely help and I'll do it soon.
I am the one who has done the testing, and Nateyo is simply passing along my info.

Not until a bunch of dyno runs was I fully aware, but you do have to mod the intake in order to see the hp gains with the K&N. I've tested the drop-in against stock in my dyno thread, and hp wasn't seen until the snorkel-delete/ram-ish mod were also installed. But you will notice increased throttle response.

My next dyno will include the current mods along with the Newmission mod. I anticipate seeing a little bit more than where I am currently, which would put me equal with the actual CAI's available.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 07-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #33
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99616
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus S

FF Reputation: 1 JL330 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I am the one who has done the testing, and Nateyo is simply passing along my info.

Not until a bunch of dyno runs was I fully aware, but you do have to mod the intake in order to see the hp gains with the K&N. I've tested the drop-in against stock in my dyno thread, and hp wasn't seen until the snorkel-delete/ram-ish mod were also installed. But you will notice increased throttle response.

My next dyno will include the current mods along with the Newmission mod. I anticipate seeing a little bit more than where I am currently, which would put me equal with the actual CAI's available.
I did the snorkel ramish mod when I did my filter. I also removed the silencer but that didn't really do anything at all.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #34
nateyo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88182
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 nateyo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL330 View Post
I did the snorkel ramish mod when I did my filter. I also removed the silencer but that didn't really do anything at all.
Then you should be getting some gains then! :)

Check out post 183 here
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...289331&page=16

dyn has posted some good charts so you know what you can expect.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #35
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by unida767 View Post
After seeong dyn085's results with just the K&N drop in I put the Steeda intake on the back burner and ordered the K&N from eBay $65 delivered to Aus.
I am not convinced that the dyn085's dyno is really accurate, but I take it for what it is. But, I'd say you better not expect much from the K&N drop in only, though.

dyn085 himself said that the first run on the stock was showing 240 TQ and 144 HP. Then, using the K&N filter he got 155 HP and 143 TQ and this when a stock car is doing usually 138-141 HP and 130-133 TQ (if manual) or a little less HP if automatic.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I am a "noob" in this matter, but I did a lot of readings since he posted his numbers and I didn't find anything on the net to sustain a gain of more than 13 HP and 11 TQ over stock only using K&N filter. Most of the people talk about 2 HP (if any). K&N itself should change the numbers of its Air Intake kit (+9 HP and +10 TQ), because why should anyone buy a 280 $ kit when a 50 $ filter do more ? So, I would take his numbers with a grain of salt, unless someone else with the same K&N filter comes out with the same numbers (IMHO). I do think that with the newmission ram air mod, these numbers will change though. We'll see in what direction when he'll dyno his car again.

P.S. Just to be clear, I am skeptic about his dyno numbers, not himself !
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #36
dyn085
That Guy

You need to take a look at my dyno thread. I have logged nearly 30 dyno runs in different configurations, temps, and humidity levels. They show what each individual mod does, what you can reasonably expect, and how to do it.

The very first pull on this car is not graphed anywhere on this site. The calibration was off, but once we corrected it, every pull has been made on the exact same calibration. I even took the car back to stock to show a baseline, and only a couple of people have logged baseline numbers.

I have not posted every single graph due to redundancy, but I try to show at least one run and another to substantiate it. The only graphs that are pertinent and not listed are the last runs with my variation of the Newmission mod-that's only because I don't have them yet.

I'm not offended; I just don't think you've seen my thread. I can't link it be,ause I'm on my phone, but it is something to the tune of Another SGM MK3 dyno thread. Take a look at it and hit me up if you have any questions

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 08-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #37
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

dyn085,

I want to underline again one thing: It is not that I don't believe you not doing a well calibrated dyno, the numbers are those who seem to be too high for a simple filter change.

If the gains are true, then everyone who's thinking going for a Steeda, FSWerks or K&N intakes are better to change for the K&N filter that will give them a lot more power for 1/3-1/5 of the price. And forget about the exhaust before a tune is out on the market, because adding an exhaust will not make too much of a difference. And maybe this would be right, if someone else would do another dyno with the same setup (K&N filter only, rest is stock) and comes close to these numbers. I ordered a K&N Intake and once I will install it in the car, I'll try to dyno it and post my numbers.

P.S. I stop here anything else because I don't want to argue wether they are good or bad numbers, because it is not my intention. The most important thing is that we love our cars and enjoy them !
---replaced by---
Old 08-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #38
dyn085
That Guy

No, I'm not trying to argue either. What I'm saying is that there is no gain by a filter swap. More work has to go into the system (just cutting) in order to get the gains. All a filter swap will do is give you throttle response. That is what I found and tested in my dyno thread. I think (could be wrong) that I also posted that info here.

I am currently exhaust restricted. I am flowing as much air into the engine as possible. I found this out with my dyno of the Newmission mod.

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 08-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #39
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

I read again your thread and now I get it (I hope): You dyno-ed the car (stock) with OEM filter on, then switched to the K&N filter and did the mods (snorkel delete and ram-ish thing) and you got the final dyno results. If so, I don't see why your numbers should not be good. All has started from my misunderstanding; I thought you dyno-ed the car with the snorkel delete and ram-ish thing on it and the OEM filter (stock), then you changed the filter and you got those 10+ HP/TQ numbers.
Sorry for everything - it was not my intention - I am a little slow because it is too damn hot/humid here in the North.
---replaced by---
Old 08-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #40
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
I installed the K&N drop in filter yesterday and I actually think my car is QUIETER now than with the stock filter. With the stock filter when accelerating from a stop the car always seemed to hesitate a bit and then i would hear air rushing into the filter. With the K&N drop in, I no longer have the hesitation and it is just a smooth take off and with very minimal noise coming from the intake, less than with the stock filter. It feels/sounds like the car is breathing easier now.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->