Paint quality problems? - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #71
picus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100413
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red 5dr Ti

FF Reputation: 2 picus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsroar View Post
This genteman knows more than 90% of other people. I'd suggest listening to him.
<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Long View Post
I responded with a PM because I do feel my car has an unusual amount of chips and "dings" on the front, especially along the lower front bumper area.

To my (pleasant) surprise, I received a very quick call from a Ford rep encouraging me to schedule an appointment with my local dealer.

However, I'm not exactly sure what to expect if I bring this up with my service dept. I would have just assumed they would say that it's part of normal wear and tear and there's nothing they can do about it. Should I expect the fix (if there is one) to be covered under warranty?

Just looking for some insight as I've never addressed this type of problem before.
Is there any chance you could post a pic of the areas? To be honest it sounds like normal wear and tear if you're doing any sort of reasonable mileage on highways, but without seeing it it's impossible to say.

I find in my business sometimes people see road rash for the first time when they have a car they care about/first new car, etc. Not saying this is the case here, just that I do see a lot of people who are surprised by how much rash they can accumulate quickly. Paint quality just isn't what it used to be across the board.

As a quick example, this is a pic I took of a car I bought pre-owned in 2004, it was a year old and had 19000km (almost all highway). http://gtaindetail.com/diy/bumperbefore1.jpg

The hood wasn't much better. :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #72
Shorty Long
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68979
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium, Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 2 Shorty Long Good Standing Member
I had my car at the dealer last week and brought up the paint chipping issue with my service manager. He told me that Ford will not cover repair of paint chips.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #73
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Long View Post
I had my car at the dealer last week and brought up the paint chipping issue with my service manager. He told me that Ford will not cover repair of paint chips.
I see your region's Customer Service Manager has tried to reach you. Are you able to get in touch with her?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 07-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #74
Shorty Long
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks. I spoke with her last week before the visit. She was supposed to phone me today but I did not receive a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
I see your region's Customer Service Manager has tried to reach you. Are you able to get in touch with her?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Thomas
Old 07-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #75
Rock_
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101750
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 Rock_ Good Standing Member
Paint and Other Issues

My Tuxedo Black 2012 Focus is picking up paint chips like no other car I or anyone else in my family has ever experienced. Got a chip on the hood the first day out of the dealership. Installed a 3M guard - but keep geting chips all over hood right up to the windshield and some on the side of car. Was told today that Ford would not cover a claim on these.

Also have been in 2 times to fix air conditioning and dealership can't find anything. Cold air intermittingly quits blowing if car is sitting in traffic.

Also had the recall/adjustment done for the transmission. As of the adjustment car had horrible shudder in stop and go traffic. Dealership said they can't find anything and to give it time. Got a bit better after 10,000 km, but still not smooth. Car is spending a lot of time at dealers. Hoping the shudder will clear - but tired of air conditioning issue and astounded by terrible paint.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #76
Shorty Long
Focus Enthusiast

I just saw my friend's 2005 Mazda 6 with 175k miles on it, and it had half the chips my 2012 Focus has.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #77
agscali
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99552
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 agscali Good Standing Member
My car also has several small chips on my hood and some on the side. I don't recall driving through a meteor shower.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #78
Shorty Long
Focus Enthusiast

My service manager informed me that Ford will not consider paint chips for warranty repair.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #79
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
I think that the issue is not with the paint, but with the angle of the hood. I fixed my chips with the Langka chip repair system, and then got hit with hail!! Anyone else get hit with hail here in Ottawa? I think that I will have the insurance company replace the hood and roof panels since they are really bad.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #80
centennial
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 2377
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 centennial Good Standing Member
Picked up my Sterling Gray SEL about 2 weeks ago and did not notice this until I got it home and in the garage. It is at the base of the A-pillar on the passenger side. It seemed pretty minor at the time, looked like maybe the base and clear developed a fracture during curing at this sharp bend in the stamping. The thing is it was about 1/32 x 3/8" when I first noticed it. After some wet weather came about it has tripled in size and appears it will keep spreading. Disappointing that it seems the paint is not bonded to the panel very well. I first noticed it at 60 miles, car now has about 800 miles and is always garaged. There are definately issues with the paint process used on these cars, well at least mine.

Bookmarks & Social Networks