DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 141 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #1401
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm beginning to wonder if there are more cases of bad seals than anyone realizes (the ones that are allowing transmission fluid to come into contact with the clutches). Mine was built mid-May and I've had no issues besides its tendency to hold a gear too long after auto-downshifting in sport mode.

The dilemma is that you can't know until you take it apart, or if it's been going on long enough, it probably drips fluid onto the tray. I doubt Ford would be willing to disassemble all the 'problem children' in search of leaks unless they can somehow confirm that it's a widespread problem.

I just can't believe that bad programming is to blame for ALL of these cases, when some of us have had no issues at all. They're all programmed with the same software, so I'd speculate that there are widespread leaky seals, or a lot of bad clutchpacks supplied to Ford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #1402
Gary_C
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95312
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Focus Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Gary_C Good Standing Member
It is obvious that Ford has made a huge mistake. Every one of these cars should be purchased back or at the very least, swap in a trans and torque converter that works.
I had the Drivability Upgrade and it is now worse than ever. Diferent symptoms. My driveway is on a slight incline and i fear that one time i am going to drive through the house it is so bad. I tried to accelerate onto the highway today and just got a huge bog until it finally downshifted by 3 gears, which had the motor almost redline. What a piece of crap this car is. I will be trading it in by the end of the month. Hopefully the dodge dealer doesn't know what a POS it is and i won't loose too much money on the trade.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #1403
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post

I just can't believe that bad programming is to blame for ALL of these cases, when some of us have had no issues at all. They're all programmed with the same software, so I'd speculate that there are widespread leaky seals, or a lot of bad clutchpacks supplied to Ford.
The explantion is even simpler: 90% of people complaining about the DCT don't want to learn how to drive it. For different reasons, they expect a DCT to act as a slush-box and that's it. I say to them, go buy a Corola!
The rest of 10% complain for a good reason and I say to them to not give up and take it to Ford and don't stop till the problems are solved. There are here more persons happy with their DCT, even though they had their part of "troubles". I have my Focus since a year almost and I love the DCT. If it wasn't the DCT, I would have gone for a MT, but not for a slush-box.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #1404
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball40dtw View Post
My build date was in May of 2011. It sounds like the only way you can find out if you need the TSB done is go to the dealer, have them inspect the transmission, and have them do a road test. I have nothing but good things to say about the dealership I go to, and I was very suprised the clutch(es) had to be replaced at 23,000 miles.
???

The tech was following the instructions for TSB 11-12-13 which specifies the replacement of the shaft seals and the dual clutch assembly (which was contaminated/damaged because of the oil leak).
Old 08-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #1405
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_C View Post
It is obvious that Ford has made a huge mistake. Every one of these cars should be purchased back or at the very least, swap in a trans and torque converter that works.
Should that also apply to cars with happy owners?
Old 08-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #1406
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if there are more cases of bad seals than anyone realizes (the ones that are allowing transmission fluid to come into contact with the clutches). Mine was built mid-May and I've had no issues besides its tendency to hold a gear too long after auto-downshifting in sport mode.

The dilemma is that you can't know until you take it apart...
The determination as to whether or not the TSB should be performed is made by inspecting the base of the transmission clutch housing for evidence of transmission fluid leak.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #1407
skymykel
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96951
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 skymykel Good Standing Member
I had the update done about a month ago. I got my car in March with a build date of Dec. 2011. I have a little over 4,000 miles on it and have been getting 34 mpg.

I had never had any problems with the DCT. In the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that it sometimes wants to stall when putting your foot on the gas coming out of a stop. I hope this is just from the relearning process.

Overall, I am pretty happy with my car.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #1408
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
The explantion is even simpler: 90% of people complaining about the DCT don't want to learn how to drive it. For different reasons, they expect a DCT to act as a slush-box and that's it. I say to them, go buy a Corola!
The rest of 10% complain for a good reason and I say to them to not give up and take it to Ford and don't stop till the problems are solved. There are here more persons happy with their DCT, even though they had their part of "troubles". I have my Focus since a year almost and I love the DCT. If it wasn't the DCT, I would have gone for a MT, but not for a slush-box.
I concur, had there been a choice between a 6MT and a 6F35 or even lighter duty version of the 6F I would choose the Manual every single time. I love my DPS6/DCT250 and I wouldn't have it any other way.

The Corolla still uses a four speed automatic, so you better get one soon before they update it in a few years.

I have had no real issues with the dct, sure it can behave more like a manual, but that's why I love it so much. I don't get rough jerky shifts no matter how I drive it. I've got just over 3400 miles on it as of now and its been perfect just like the first day.

To those with issues I say I wish you the best of luck in getting it resolved, but if its a matter of not being able to adapt then perhaps you should have gone with a Fusion instead, or a Corolla, or a Civic, or even a snuze, but don't trash that which you do not understand.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #1409
rp3583
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102478
What I Drive: 2012, white, focus sel

FF Reputation: 1 rp3583 Good Standing Member
Theres nothing to "learn"

If I wanted my car to drive like a manual I would have bought one, as a matter of fact, I wanted a real manual but of course you cant get the one in anything but the stripped down model. Unless you live in a different country.

All you have is a gas pedal, you're at the mercy of the computer to shift properly. Acceleration is completely unpredictable. Sport mode with the shifter is a joke, manually shifting takes over a second to respond.

Driving this car is like perpetually riding shotgun with a kid who has no idea how to drive a stick and never will learn. All you can do is say go (hit the gas) and find something to hang on to while it bucks and grinds through the first 3-4 gears.

This is by far the worst car I have ever driven.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #1410
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
rp3583, next time you buy a car, test drive it and get the most of the information possible about it. I am sure you didn't do this when buying your Focus, so blame yourself for your stupidity, not everyone else.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.

Bookmarks & Social Networks