Low MPG on new 2012 Titanium Hatch - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #31
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
It's so strange that different drivers get such different results with this car. I don't have MFT but after 12B37 I've noticed no substantial change in mileage, car- or hand-calculated. Just a definite worsening of shift quality.
I think this is more towards the dealer than car. Even though 12B37 didn't require a reset, I know some members were complaining of mileage afterwards (outside of those with the 6th gear issue). This leads me to believe that some dealerships are resetting the car during or after the work.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #32
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I think this is more towards the dealer than car. Even though 12B37 didn't require a reset, I know some members were complaining of mileage afterwards (outside of those with the 6th gear issue). This leads me to believe that some dealerships are resetting the car during or after the work.
Hmmmm, maybe that's why some are reporting a change in the 6th gear set point and others are not. I'm still ticked about having to manually shift into 6th every time I hit 35mph. I spend a fair amount of time in the 35-40mph range.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #33
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Hmmmm, maybe that's why some are reporting a change in the 6th gear set point and others are not. I'm still ticked about having to manually shift into 6th every time I hit 35mph. I spend a fair amount of time in the 35-40mph range.
E.x. my car was built after the intent of 12B37 was installed at the factory in the initial firmware of the transmission control unit, and its always shifted into 6th at 35 or 36 mph under the condition of light throttle or no further acceleration when left alone in drive, but others are reporting a significantly higher minimum entry speed after their service. It seems likely that some how the dealer is changing something they should not, possibly by wiping the memory and then not performing the drive cycle since the fsa didn't call for the drive cycle to be performed.

The only time I remotely question the car and or the gearbox is when letting off the brakes at around 0-5 mph but its the kicking of the brake pedal that seems to indicate that the brakes wanted to stay on a second or two longer to either fully stop the car, or to hold it in place. Otherwise I've not really experienced anything that might be associated with a shudder or anything as far as I can tell, even after entering heavy stop and go traffic while in auto mode after some higher speed runs. Taking off from a stop even without the use of the accelerator is smooth, although I try to give the car a little bit of air when taking off if I can. Basically it behaves like it should with no real histrionics or anything as far as I can tell, and believe me I can still tell when it shifts without always having to look at the tach, but its very subtle and not terribly violent, well unless you were to wind it out and ratchet up the pace.

Car has just over 3300 miles on it now (well between 33 and 3400 miles) and between runs to and from work, as well as visits to family its been a decent mix of city and highway, although most of the daily commute is biased towards city driving and traffic even though it might touch the freeway for a couple of miles and a highway for a few more since they can also end up as stop and stop situations.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #34
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
E.x. my car was built after the intent of 12B37 was installed at the factory in the initial firmware of the transmission control unit, and its always shifted into 6th at 35 or 36 mph under the condition of light throttle or no further acceleration when left alone in drive, but others are reporting a significantly higher minimum entry speed after their service. It seems likely that some how the dealer is changing something they should not, possibly by wiping the memory and then not performing the drive cycle since the fsa didn't call for the drive cycle to be performed.
Like me! I've asked Thomas (the Ford dude on here) several times to find out what the official shift point should be after 12B37 and he can't seem to get an answer. Seems like a pretty simple question so WTF? My guess is some service depts. are doing something wrong but Ford engineering doesn't want to effectively call them out on a public forum.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #35
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Like me! I've asked Thomas (the Ford dude on here) several times to find out what the official shift point should be after 12B37 and he can't seem to get an answer. Seems like a pretty simple question so WTF? My guess is some service depts. are doing something wrong but Ford engineering doesn't want to effectively call them out on a public forum.
I agree. If all they did was a simple software change then there would be no differences. I had 12B37 done on my car and it will definitely shift at 35/36 with very light or no throttle.

I don't know if they did the drive cycle or not on mine.

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #36
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:

I don't know if they did the drive cycle or not on mine.
As mentioned by Kabigon ...the latest update 12B37 states Drive Cycle is not required for this update.

I still performed it myself right after I got the car back from the dealer.

For anyone who is having DCT issues the battery reset and Drive Cycle procedure should be first on the list to try. It has helped others!

My dash readout is a solid 27 with about 70% city.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #37
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsfocus View Post
As mentioned by Kabigon ...the latest update 12B37 states Drive Cycle is not required for this update.

I still performed it myself right after I got the car back from the dealer.

For anyone who is having DCT issues the battery reset and Drive Cycle procedure should be first on the list to try. It has helped others!

My dash readout is a solid 27 with about 70% city.
I also stated that the Drive Cycle and master reset were not required for the update. I was simply responding that I could not give any more information (from my experience) to try and figure out if some service departments are doing the update differently. This is in reference to the part of the thread that discusses what could be causing the mixed results from the update.

Are you saying that this is helping those whose vehicles won't shift into sixth until 40mph?

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #38
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
I also stated that the Drive Cycle and master reset were not required for the update. I was simply responding that I could not give any more information (from my experience) to try and figure out if some service departments are doing the update differently. This is in reference to the part of the thread that discusses what could be causing the mixed results from the update.

Are you saying that this is helping those whose vehicles won't shift into sixth until 40mph?
Guess I missed you said that ...no problem.

Who knows what the mixed results from the update is caused from.

From what I understand the Drive Cycle does help set the shift points. Especially critical during the re-learning process. Maybe it should of been added to the 12B37 procedure to insure everyone's DCT work the same.

Like I suggested ... Couldn't hurt to try it.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #39
suss6052
Focus Addict

Double post please ignore :(
Old 08-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #40
suss6052
Focus Addict

That Log is missing 18 miles from delivery, but it doesn't show much improvement at least under the same conditions from the beginning. The average has been around 34.5 mpg, but the absolute worst tank so far was on 87 octane but that doesn't mean much as the first half or so of the fuel ups were done on 87 octane, the last 5 were done on 93 octane.

The average in town primarily is around 32-34, and on longer journeys / primarily highway with a light throttle and including getting stuck in traffic and some time in town with a light throttle I got a peak so far of 39.38 mpg hand calculated at 70 mph on light throttle, but that also included some heavier throttle and running at higher speeds for at least a few miles. Car runs really well. The trip computer said it was doing 37.6 mpg on that tank by the time I went to refuel, but that was really only about a half tank, this tank is looking equally bright, well it was until traffic hit again. Trying to see what the peak city biased mpg I could expect to see, but really I'd rather have fun once in a while than drive with an especially light throttle all the time.

Bookmarks & Social Networks