2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 94 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #931
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,155, Level 34
Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I believe that means the fact that the dealer refused to repair the vehicle desipte the condition having been documented previously and therefore they would have to order the parts and tackle the job themself, but I can't speak for them, only based on what they said elsewhere on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Unfortunately, Thomas, Suss is correct. They have decided to no longer acknowledge the noise, despite me driving their lead tech and him acknowledging the issue. I would be less disappointed had they actually followed the TSB and attached the chassis ears before claiming that the noise didn't exist.

I have access to a shop with tooling so I just ordered the replacement bearings...
I'll be happy to document this service experience on record for you; please PM me your VIN, mileage, contact info, and dealer city/state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Yeah... like that's going to happen.
You won't know until you try; I'm with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
Car is going in Tuesday morning to get fixed. They are going to give me a car for the day, too. I thought that was a nice gesture seeing as I didn't ask for one, but I'll take it!
Hooray for a loaner car; you can drive it like crazy! Please let me know how it goes in the operating room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksarnstrom View Post
Still waiting for them to call telling me the parts are in. I did drive one of the dealerships fleet vehicles that was a Focus while mine was getting looked at. It had DRL and no clunking noise.
How long have you been waiting for the parts? Please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info; I'll loop in your Customer Service Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantheman2012 View Post
I just put 800+ miles on this weekend that included some bad city roads...and still clunk-free. I could get used to this.
You get two thumbs-up from me! Logging 800+ miles earns you this badge: http://social.ford.com/grab-a-badge/road+trip/. Did you fill up once or twice?

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #932
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Points 123,836, Level 100
Points: 123,836, Level: 100 Points: 123,836, Level: 100 Points: 123,836, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thomas,

How much is FORD looking at this from our perspective and taking note of poor service visits? I would hope they'd be using some of this info to go after poor service performers and use a shape up or ship out attitude. How do you think/feel about cars getting turned away for warrantied service?

Thanks...
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 08-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #933
jrn146
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 275
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red SE 5 door 5 speed

Points 152, Level 3
Points: 152, Level: 3 Points: 152, Level: 3 Points: 152, Level: 3
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jrn146 Good Standing Member
Thomas, for those of us who still have the noise after the TSB and the dealer says they're done until Ford tells them otherwise, what is Ford doing about this because obviously this TSB isn't the answer for all of us. Documenting all this isn't helping if Ford isn't working on the next step.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #934
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,155, Level 34
Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
Thomas,

How much is FORD looking at this from our perspective and taking note of poor service visits? I would hope they'd be using some of this info to go after poor service performers and use a shape up or ship out attitude. How do you think/feel about cars getting turned away for warrantied service?

Thanks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn146 View Post
Thomas, for those of us who still have the noise after the TSB and the dealer says they're done until Ford tells them otherwise, what is Ford doing about this because obviously this TSB isn't the answer for all of us. Documenting all this isn't helping if Ford isn't working on the next step.
Hey guys -

I totally understand; cars getting turned away do not please me at all. Documentation helps provide our engineering rep with useful information. This is vital to see if anything else can be done.

If anyone is still experiencing a front-end clunk, please PM me your VIN, mileage, contact info, and dealer city/state; I'll send this to our appropriate rep.

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 08-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #935
dogma_not
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92255
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ingot SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 dogma_not Good Standing Member
Try this

This is a follow up to my previous post (and invoices) on page 67 of this thread.

I developed a knocking/rattle noise from front suspension a few months after purchase. TSB 11-11-2 was applied and strut parts were replaced in January 2012. That fixed my noise temporarily. The exact same noise returned a few weeks after TSB service. To my ears, my noise never sounded like any crunching or creaking noise. The sounds I’ve heard resembled more like a billiard ball knocking around in a coffee cup in a muffled low bass way or similar to a rubber lined mug. Weird description but best way to describe it. It made the noises when driving slowly over small bumps and uneven pavement.

The previous TSB’s for strut service all describe a crunching or creaking noise at low speed turns on even pavement. I never heard those sounds from my car, only the knocking rattling sounds with up and down strut movement.

After three previous attempts to repair car at original dealer, I was told by service manager that a Ford Field Technician had driven my car and decided it was “strut chuckle” and there was nothing more Ford would offer to fix my problem. I took my car to another dealer (Galpin Ford) and spoke to service manager Leonard Arsanos. Leonard arranged for his suspension expert to drive my car around their neighborhood to duplicate the problem. The suspension guy agreed that the noise was “noticeable and evident” and shouldn’t be characteristic of the car. Galpin kept the car overnight, hooked up chassis ears to struts and drove it around. They isolated the sound to the front strut jounce bumpers. The service manager said he wouldn’t say if previous service was done incorrectly, he only stated that there was absolutely no lube, nada on the jounce bumpers. Since service, I’ve driven the car over multiple, routine road surfaces that always produced the knocks before and two weeks later I’m still noise free.

I don’t know if this is a fix for others, but I recall reading someone’s posting last fall (in another thread) regarding their Focus apparently came from the factory with no lube on the jounce bumpers. I’m now wondering if original TSB done for my car was necessary if there weren’t defective parts but only lack of lube??? Do Ford specs require lube, should there be lube on the jounce bumpers or not??? Are some dealers doing TSB part swaps and adding lube, while others aren’t???

It apparently worked on my long term knocker. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Invoice below is from Galpin dated July 24, 2012.
p.s.
the invoice describes a creaking noise, I never heard any creaking.... not sure how it may have sounded thru the chassis ears?

Last edited by dogma_not; 08-06-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #936
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98655
What I Drive: Fmr: 2012 Ti Sedan Now: '13 Taurus

FF Reputation: 2 Shantheman2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma_not View Post
This is a follow up to my previous post (and invoices) on page 67 of this thread.

I developed a knocking/rattle noise from front suspension a few months after purchase. TSB 11-11-2 was applied and strut parts were replaced in January 2012. That fixed my noise temporarily. The exact same noise returned a few weeks after TSB service. To my ears, my noise never sounded like any crunching or creaking noise. The sounds I’ve heard resembled more like a billiard ball knocking around in a coffee cup in a muffled low bass way or similar to a rubber lined mug. Weird description but best way to describe it. It made the noises when driving slowly over small bumps and uneven pavement.

The previous TSB’s for strut service all describe a crunching or creaking noise at low speed turns on even pavement. I never heard those sounds from my car, only the knocking rattling sounds with up and down strut movement.

After three previous attempts to repair car at original dealer, I was told by service manager that a Ford Field Technician had driven my car and decided it was “strut chuckle” and there was nothing more Ford would offer to fix my problem. I took my car to another dealer (Galpin Ford) and spoke to service manager Leonard Arsanos. Leonard arranged for his suspension expert to drive my car around their neighborhood to duplicate the problem. The suspension guy agreed that the noise was “noticeable and evident” and shouldn’t be characteristic of the car. Galpin kept the car overnight, hooked up chassis ears to struts and drove it around. They isolated the sound to the front strut jounce bumpers. The service manager said he wouldn’t say if previous service was done incorrectly, he only stated that there was absolutely no lube, nada on the jounce bumpers. Since service, I’ve driven the car over multiple, routine road surfaces that always produced the knocks before and two weeks later I’m still noise free.

I don’t know if this is a fix for others, but I recall reading someone’s posting last fall (in another thread) regarding their Focus apparently came from the factory with no lube on the jounce bumpers. I’m now wondering if original TSB done for my car was necessary if there weren’t defective parts but only lack of lube??? Do Ford specs require lube, should there be lube on the jounce bumpers or not??? Are some dealers doing TSB part swaps and adding lube, while others aren’t???

It apparently worked on my long term knocker. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Invoice below is from Galpin dated July 24, 2012.
p.s.
the invoice describes a creaking noise, I never heard any creaking.... not sure how it may have sounded thru the chassis ears?

So the next question I have is...where are the jounce bumpers? I'm pretty mechanically inclined...but this one I'm not familiar with.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #937
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,584, Level 65
Points: 9,584, Level: 65 Points: 9,584, Level: 65 Points: 9,584, Level: 65
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
So the next question I have is...where are the jounce bumpers? I'm pretty mechanically inclined...but this one I'm not familiar with.
Jounce bumper is another way of saying bump stop, since it is meant to dampen the travel at the end of the strut's travel on jounce or the upword motion of the wheel towards the body of the car.

I'm not sure why the bump stops would need to be lubricated however.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #938
jsr72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97393
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

Points 142, Level 2
Points: 142, Level: 2 Points: 142, Level: 2 Points: 142, Level: 2
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 5 jsr72 Good Standing Member
Quote:
They sit underneath the strut bearing on the strut rod, but you'll have pull your dust boot down in order to see them. The striker cap on top of the strut tube contacts the bumper during high wheel travel, preventing suspension over-travel and absorbing the energy of the impact.

In the rear, they are on the lower control arm, outboard of the spring. - easily visible.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #939
dogma_not
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92255
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ingot SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 dogma_not Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I'm not sure why the bump stops would need to be lubricated however.
I agree!

If Ford specs don’t require lube originally and the car was delivered without clunks/rattles, then lubing the jounce bumpers later down the road seems to be masking an underlying problem. Throwing some gunk/lube at it seems to be dampening the clunking sounds I had. Right now I’m two weeks post lube service and so far no noises. I wonder what happens when the lube eventually gets depleted and thinned out, does the clunking/rattle come back? I’ll post if anything changes. Perhaps it’s pointing in a right direction. Is there a design flaw with jounce and bumper design or their interface? Can the bumper be loose from its base? Is there a problem with the materials used?

If anyone has access to these noisy pulled parts, could they examine the jounce bumpers and related parts to see if anything looks at amiss? I assume the Ford Engineers are following all the documentation/invoices and getting to the bottom of this?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #940
dewie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102023
What I Drive: 2012, focus s

FF Reputation: 1 dewie Good Standing Member
It is on the s too. been fighting with ford they tell me its cause i live on a gravel road..!
i tell them bull and they tell me to pound salt and they just park it out back for the day!
I washed the undercarrage till i could eat off it, drove off the hoist and what did i hear!!!!!?

Posted via FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.