anyone using premium gas ? - Page 57 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #561
cessna1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97921
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 cessna1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Napalm, check out this website and scroll to the bottom and open the PDF with ethanol energy balance. So far I think the sun's energy is free but some of the idiots you choose to believe have it in the energy equation. Around here there is a lot of livestock fed by-products from the ethanol plant. The manure is put back on the land to fertilize the next crop saving commercial fertilizer. Us farmers aren't out doing as much tillage as before,hybrids are way better,the only problem I see is one guy can do so much it has reduced the farm labor needed to about nothing.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/eth...el_basics.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #562
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm on like tank 5 or 6 of 91 octane... Sitting pretty at 35.9mpg, 270 miles into this tank. That compared to the usual 32mpg tank is pretty sweet.
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 08-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #563
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1 View Post
In some ways I hope my beloved ethanol goes away. Then when BIG OIL is back in total monopolistic control they can crucify you like they have done in the past with high prices and maybe an embargo like I experienced in 1973. It's pretty much like the drug dealer and the addict. I really hope you get to experience 10 gallon limits on even/odd days someday.
You can only victimize energy addicts that way. It's amazing to me that you just don't hear anything about basic conservation in the USA. Why? Good question but I speculate that the energy companies that have purchased our government just want the money siphoned from their addicts and don't care about anything else, just like any good heroin dealer would. Alcohol is really just another energy drug to get us all addicted to so as to further fleece us, no difference.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #564
cessna1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97921
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 cessna1 Good Standing Member
YBTC, I'm trying basic conservation---ride my bicycle a lot and I've racked up a little over 2100 miles on the Focus since April 10th. Not many miles on anything else either.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #565
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1 View Post
YBTC, I'm trying basic conservation---ride my bicycle a lot and I've racked up a little over 2100 miles on the Focus since April 10th. Not many miles on anything else either.
Me too. I have around 2500 miles on mine bought around three weeks earlier. I guess we're finally getting to the point where the climate change deniers can't deny the dominant role of humans in driving recent climate change anymore so that's a start in getting the energy vampire-monkeys off our backs.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #566
slow3v
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101709
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SE MTX

FF Reputation: 1 slow3v Good Standing Member
I notice a lot smoother engine performance with 93 vs 87. IMO even with DI, 87 on 12:1 compression especially with high ambients is asking for trouble. It doesn't do that low RPM "buck/bog" like it did from 1200-2500 in a higher gear on 93, and I feel it pulls a LITTLE harder - especially down low.

I'm going to keep running 93 anyway. Has more detergents to keep the intake valves carbon free (characteristic of DI engines).
Old 08-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #567
slow3v
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101709
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SE MTX

FF Reputation: 1 slow3v Good Standing Member
And just a heads up, some folks have done dyno tests on 2011+ Mustang "V6's" with 87 vs 93 octane.

Even with the stock ECU & tune, it gained 7whp. ECU's CAN advance timing to an EXTENT, and will generally take advantage of the increase in octane. Yes, these engines (well, the tune) was designed with 87 in mind - specifically because of the fact that there would be a massive uproar if your run of the mill Focus needed premium, but they tuned them EXTREMELY conservatively to get by with this low of octane on a high comp. motor. It's always a compromise, no matter what tech (Di vs. Fi, TiVCT, etc).

When aftermarket tuners crack these and start making GOOD 93octane tunes, I can forsee a 20whp+ boost in power on an otherwise stock car.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #568
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow3v View Post
I'm going to keep running 93 anyway. Has more detergents to keep the intake valves carbon free (characteristic of DI engines).
How will fuel detergents keep intake valves clean in a DI engine? The fuel doesn't wash over the intake valves as it does in a port or throttle-body injected engine.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #569
kjl2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97883
What I Drive: 2012 se black

FF Reputation: 1 kjl2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow3v View Post
I notice a lot smoother engine performance with 93 vs 87. IMO even with DI, 87 on 12:1 compression especially with high ambients is asking for trouble. It doesn't do that low RPM "buck/bog" like it did from 1200-2500 in a higher gear on 93, and I feel it pulls a LITTLE harder - especially down low.

Mine runs way better with 93 fixed all bog.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 AM   #570
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Well, since its finally cooled down enough that I can tolerate driving without the A/C, I decided to do another highway fuel mileage test this time with 93 Octane E10 Premium.

For reference, earlier in the year before it got hotter than all hell, I did an 87 octane E0 highway fuel mileage test where I yielded just shy of 47 MPG.

For the 93 octane E10 test, I ran roughly the same route (although I went farther north this time to LaCrosse, WI Instead of going only as far as Lansing, Iowa..

What I noticed different this time with the 93 E10. The car handled the hills much better. I only had one where I had to drop to 4th to climb the hill, where before the car really struggled going up any real significant hills.

As far as the mileage numbers....
On the 93 octane E10 I ran 345 miles on 8.4 gallons. which yielded me 41.1 MPG...

I do need to mention however. I did switch wheels and tires since the last test. I ran the stock contipro's on 15" steel wheels for the 87 octane test, where this time for the 93 octane test, I ran 17" Painted and Machined Aluminum wheels. These tires are a bit wider than the 15's were. which probably reduced mileage a little just on that alone..

But Also I am expecting the ethanol blended in to the 93 also affected mileage...

Overall from the last test I saw about a 5.5 MPG drop with 93 E10 over 87 E0 and the wheel and tire swap.. These are still some decent numbers tho... I did find a place here that sells 91 E0.. and I will be testing with that at a later date, as soon as i finish off the tank i have now, and run at least 1 more 91 E0 tank to "flush" the system...

Testing Info:
For the 87 test, I used 87 octane E0 purchased from Casey's General Stores..
For the 93 test, I used 93 octane E10 Purchased from Road Ranger.
All tests were done using normal driving techniques and running 55-60 MPH on the 2 lane highways, and 65-70MPH on the 4 lane highways with posted 65 MPH speed limits. On hills I would maintain at least 55 MPH climbing.. and whatever the car would coast at above 60 to 70 MPH on downhills.

87 test was at approx 5500-6000 miles on the odometer..
93 test was done at approx 10,200-10,550 on the odomter.
The 93 test was also done after having TSB 12-5-5 relating to poor throttle response on manual transmission cars applied.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->