Weird Problem: No Signs of Life - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
HopJokey
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 88852
What I Drive: Silver 2012 Ford Focus Ti HB

FF Reputation: 1 HopJokey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Weird Problem: No Signs of Life

Hey everyone, I experienced a big and strange issue with my 2012 Ford Focus Ti Hatch yesterday - there are no signs of life with my car like the battery is completely drained with one exception, when you attempt to move the gear selector on the auto from park the ODO LCD screen says "Transmission not in Park". Everything else that requires power (car starting, MFT screen, cabin lights, locks, hatch door, steering wheel and gear selector are locked up, etc.) is inoperable.

I had two separate professionals try and jump start the car to no avail. Each time they connected the leads of my car battery to theirs it had absolutely no effect. Still no accessory power whatsoever, car won't start, door won't lock. Like I said, no signs of life with that one huge exception that leads me to believe it isn't a battery problem.

I came home yesterday in the morning around 9:30AM and everything was fine as I parked my Focus in the garage. I then cleaned the interior for 30 minutes. 90 minutes later I wanted to get some lunch and tried starting the car with no luck and noticed no power in the cabin. That's when I called emergency roadside assistance to get a jump. The car service guy tried jumping the car from a booster pack with no luck and noticed the "Transmission Not in Park" message. Eventually I had the car towed to the dealership. We'll see what they say today when they take a look.

Update 8/7/2012: The dealership was able to get the car up and running normally again by disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery leads of the vehicle (similar to doing a battery pull of a smartphone). However they haven't been able to figure out what the problem is and have held the car overnight while they await engineering assistance from Ford HQ to diagnose the problem.

Update 8/7/2012 4:15PM: After running a full battery of tests throughout the day, my Ford dealership could not find any problems with the car currently and could not root cause why the car got into the bad state that required a "battery pull". Ford hotline did not have any answers as well. I will be picking up my vehicle today.

I've been generally content with my Focus these first 9 months so I would be pleased if it was just a fluke/one off issue that occurred and I could live happily ever after with it. Obviously if showstopping issues persist I will need to take appropriate action like getting a refund - I would gladly accept a new 2013 Ford Fusion in this case .

Last edited by HopJokey; 08-07-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
BaconZombie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98205
What I Drive: 2013 VW GTi, United Grey

FF Reputation: 3 BaconZombie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Sounds like you might have a faulty switch for the gear selector. Why you would have absolutely no power, I don't know, but it might all be related. Good luck, and let us know what the dealership says.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,216, Level 35
Points: 3,216, Level: 35 Points: 3,216, Level: 35 Points: 3,216, Level: 35
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Good luck! Keep us posted
Sonic Crew #28
Old 08-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
In for updates.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
mustang0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96079
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE HB Sport Package

Points 686, Level 13
Points: 686, Level: 13 Points: 686, Level: 13 Points: 686, Level: 13
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 mustang0 Good Standing Member
Probably not your problem but when I removed and disconnected stuff to install my Steeda short throw shifter I failed to fully ingage one of the wiring connections when putting everything back together under the hood. Well when I tried to start the car I got a suprise. It didn't take to long to figure out but I had a major panic attack for a few minutes. Maybe in your case something came loose. Hope it's an easy fix. Keep us posted.
65 Racestang 96 Mustang 2012 Focus SE HB Sport Pac 5 speed man. NewMission Cold Air, lunchbox Delete,Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Steeda STS,Axis wheels, Blox shift knob,Focus elecrtic RMM, Injected 93 Tune V1 176HP 152Torque
Old 08-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Hodge Podge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96120
What I Drive: 2012 5-Dr Se Sport Pkg Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Hodge Podge Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorZ View Post
In for updates.
2nd that...

2012 Se Ingot Silver 5-Door w/ 201A & Se Sport Package
2001 Silverado 1500 RCLB 4x4 4.8L 5-Speed
Old 08-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

Points 1,795, Level 24
Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
I'd say chances are good you have a problem with one of the MEGA fuses in the High Current battery box (it's mounted to the front of the battery box, between the air filter housing and the battery...(This aint the fuse box everyone is thinking of that's on the fender, this a second one..)You have to take off the air filter cover box to get this fuse box open..) the one most likely is probabaly the 3rd Fuse.. the 100 AMP one.. that feeds the fuse box just to your right of the battery on the fender.. which feeds damn near everything else in the car...
Old 08-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddz3 View Post
I'd say chances are good you have a problem with one of the MEGA fuses in the High Current battery box (it's mounted to the front of the battery box, between the air filter housing and the battery...(This aint the fuse box everyone is thinking of that's on the fender, this a second one..)You have to take off the air filter cover box to get this fuse box open..) the one most likely is probabaly the 3rd Fuse.. the 100 AMP one.. that feeds the fuse box just to your right of the battery on the fender.. which feeds damn near everything else in the car...
Because a blown fuse will produce an intermittent problem like this? I had a problem like this but it turned out I left my smart key on the porch 30 feet away while cleaning my car and not in my pocket as I thought it was. Yours does sound like a transmission switch issue though.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

Points 1,795, Level 24
Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
Because a blown fuse will produce an intermittent problem like this? I had a problem like this but it turned out I left my smart key on the porch 30 feet away while cleaning my car and not in my pocket as I thought it was. Yours does sound like a transmission switch issue though.
Unless I misread his problem, he has a no start no power condition.. with the exception of the message center displaying "transmission not in park" when he shifts out of park..

That tells me part of the car is getting power, other parts arent.. Same symptom as in the olden days when a fuseable link blew.. You could have headlights, but no taillights, no igntion, no radio.. no dome light, etc...

When the car isnt running, and the key is in the "on" position.. whether all of it is getting power or not, isn't it normally supposed to say transmission not in park when it is in a gear other than park.. (I have a 5 speed so i don't know this)...

As far as I have seen, we have large mega fuses in the main battery junction in lieu of fuseable links... and I'm betting one is blown.. Thats why he has no power to many of the car's systems.. but power to others.

Now I could be wrong.. He has a titanium with that Intelligent keyless stuff... and it could be something wrong with that, but you'd think you'd still be able to hit the door lock button by the radio and have the locks cycle, as well as at least the parking lights come on when the door is open (altho he didnt mention either way if that was working)...
Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
HopJokey
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 88852
What I Drive: Silver 2012 Ford Focus Ti HB

FF Reputation: 1 HopJokey Good Standing Member
Update: The dealership was able to get the car up and running normally again by disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery leads of the vehicle (similar to doing a battery pull of a smartphone). However they haven't been able to figure out what the problem is and have held the car overnight while they await engineering assistance from Ford HQ to diagnose the problem.

Bookmarks & Social Networks