Leak from SPI Intake Manifold - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
tp4pdb
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94593
What I Drive: 2000 Blue Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 tp4pdb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Leak from SPI Intake Manifold

I am in the process of completing a rebuild of a 2000 2.0 SPI. When I added coolant it leaked from the top and bottom of the intake manifold, mostly between cylinders 2 and 3. I pulled the throttle body and also observed coolant entering the bottom of the manifold plenum from the left side.

Am I looking forward to pulling the intake manifold off and having a look, or am I missing something simpler to fix? Or is it something worse?

Paul-West LA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Condor945
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100774
What I Drive: 2001 Focus SE 2.0 SOHC

FF Reputation: 1 Condor945 Good Standing Member
Paul-

Just curious what you found... I'm actually I'm the same boat as you presently...

Todd
Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
tp4pdb
Focus Rookie

Waiting for a pressure tester adapter to be delivered that I ordered last week. Intend to pressure up the cooling system to better pinpoint leak source. Also will be cracking pan plug to see if coolant ended up in oil.

Possible causes of leak are guesses at the moment. Some of those include flipped head gasket, wrong head gasket or cracked intake manifold.

Is it reasonable to assume that new head bolts can't be used again once they have been installed?

Paul - West LA
Old 07-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Condor945
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100774
What I Drive: 2001 Focus SE 2.0 SOHC

FF Reputation: 1 Condor945 Good Standing Member
Yeah... I wouldn't reuse the head bolts. There a one time use because of how there made/designed.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
mikebontoft
Derpy Cheetah

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,342, Level 93
Points: 23,342, Level: 93 Points: 23,342, Level: 93 Points: 23,342, Level: 93
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
unfortunately they are torque to yield...

coolant does route through the throttle body, but obviously not within the intake itself.

wow and I junked a perfectly good manifold thinking no one would ever need one.

make sure you didn't hook up. coolant line to a vacuum lone on the manifold though.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 08-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
tp4pdb
Focus Rookie

Problem Solved

It turns out that I apparently installed the two intake manifold gaskets in the wrong order. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention when I took the thing apart a couple of months ago. I then removed the intake manifold (which required a lot more work than the Ford workshop manual indicated), installed the new gaskets in the right order, put it all back together, added water and then pressure tested the cooling system. No leaks.

So far so good.

Paul B-West LA
Old 03-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
danny42984
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110560
What I Drive: 2001 maroon focus

FF Reputation: 1 danny42984 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4pdb View Post
It turns out that I apparently installed the two intake manifold gaskets in the wrong order. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention when I took the thing apart a couple of months ago. I then removed the intake manifold (which required a lot more work than the Ford workshop manual indicated), installed the new gaskets in the right order, put it all back together, added water and then pressure tested the cooling system. No leaks.

So far so good.

Paul B-West LA
could you share the right order for the gaskets? im unsure what order they go in. there are four gaskets in my set. thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
jguzman75
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88518
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 jguzman75 Good Standing Member
I also finished a top end rebuild on my 2.0 before it dropped a valve seat. After running it for a few weeks I noticed coolant between cylinder 2-3 on the intake side of the intake gasket. I noticed that when it is hot I can see coolant bubble up in the valley of the bolt that cannot be pulled out with the throttle body on the car. Hope that makes sense.
I think that bolt needs some kind of thread sealer on the threads because it may thread into a water jacket.
Does anyone know?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.