Your opinion: Will Ford "fix" the 2012 Focus for good? - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #81
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 2,125, Level 27
Points: 2,125, Level: 27 Points: 2,125, Level: 27 Points: 2,125, Level: 27
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPilot View Post
That would be wonderful!

I realize the standard 'fix' is to tell us to perform a Master Reset, but it's a complete PITA to have to wipe all my settings on a regular basis.

Being forced to spend 15-20 minutes plugging all my settings back in once a week/month/whatever kind of detracts from the whole point of having a nice, expensive integrated system. Especially with Nav - it's far simpler/faster to just use Google Maps/Nav on my phone most of the time!
I hear you loud and clear, TiPilot. I pass along your feedback to engineering, but Ford Social is another great way to be heard. Be sure to vote and comment once oritpro shares his idea or submit one yourself!

Jaclyn

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #82
collisionbend
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100528
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE 5-Door, 203A

FF Reputation: 1 collisionbend Good Standing Member
Thanks, Jaclyn. I had heard somewhere that if I wanted only *some* of my contacts transferred to SYNC to create a favorites list on my iPhone and it would upload only that. I guess that was incorrect information. Limiting my contacts is going to be a royal PITA.

The problem is that when I try to call someone, and I don't use their full name, SYNC thinks I want someone else - and frequently it's a contact for whom I only have an email address or a website. How is SYNC going to call that contact? It's comical.

My SYNC, according to syncmyride.com, is up-to-date, latest version of the software. But when I tried to update it, it never gave me the second "installation complete" message - after sitting idling in the driveway for well over an hour! I pulled the USB stick and came back to my computer - and it recorded a "successful" update - I have no idea why. That's why I am going to have the dealer redo it with my first oil change.

The other issue I suspect things are screwy is because I use a Mac. It's not Ford's fault - it's Microsoft's for repeatedly and deliberately being difficult with Apple products.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #83
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Points 2,125, Level 27
Level Up 84% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Quote:
Originally Posted by collisionbend View Post
Thanks, Jaclyn. I had heard somewhere that if I wanted only *some* of my contacts transferred to SYNC to create a favorites list on my iPhone and it would upload only that. I guess that was incorrect information. Limiting my contacts is going to be a royal PITA.

The problem is that when I try to call someone, and I don't use their full name, SYNC thinks I want someone else - and frequently it's a contact for whom I only have an email address or a website. How is SYNC going to call that contact? It's comical.

My SYNC, according to syncmyride.com, is up-to-date, latest version of the software. But when I tried to update it, it never gave me the second "installation complete" message - after sitting idling in the driveway for well over an hour! I pulled the USB stick and came back to my computer - and it recorded a "successful" update - I have no idea why. That's why I am going to have the dealer redo it with my first oil change.

The other issue I suspect things are screwy is because I use a Mac. It's not Ford's fault - it's Microsoft's for repeatedly and deliberately being difficult with Apple products.
To clarify, did you just create a favorites list within your phone or are you syncing contacts from another source, such as Outlook or Gmail?

To determine if the update was successfully installed, there should now be gears next to your home icon on the main screen. Is that what you see?

Jaclyn

Old 08-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #84
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam View Post
You're welcome, oritpro, I'm glad to hear you're able to text once again! Sharing your thoughts at http://Social.Ford.com/ is a great idea! Be sure to post your idea here so other Focus Fanatics can comment and vote.
Jaclyn
Someone already posted the idea a couple of days ago so I went ahead and thumbed it up and left a comment. I recommend others do the same.

I'd like to share an observation since doing the master reset on my vehicle. I've had trouble using SD cards since purchasing the car new and thus the reason for the reset. I am still having problems with it, but have figured out a work-around.

If the SD card is inserted while MFT is off then it never stops indexing while MFT is on. The work-around is to switch MFT to any source other than the SD card, pop the card out for a few seconds, then pop it back in. Indexing will start again and complete (for me) in a couple minutes then all is well again.

Note that I have the exact same music on the SD card as I do a thumb drive and the thumb drive doesn't exhibit this behavior. Both are 8GB capacity and I only use one at a time. They aren't both plugged in at the same time since they each contain the same music.

This sounds like a driver issue to me, but then I make my living as a driver validation engineer.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #85
collisionbend
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Jaclyn,

My contacts are handled by my Mac's Address Book and synced with the phone through iTunes. SYNC then picks up what's in my iPhone's Contact List. It doesn't matter if I create the list through Address Book or on the phone itself - SYNC still imports the whole enchilada, and it will still try to call contacts that don't have a phone number. The other thing: my wife, for example, is listed with several numbers: "home" - her cell; "work" - her direct line at work; "mobile" - her work cell phone; "work2" - her office main desk line; and "work3" - her office's toll-free number. When I say, "call Laura," it asks, "on cell, at work, or other?" To SYNC, "other" is her normal cell phone, "work" is the direct line (the only one it gets right), and "cell" is her work cell, which I never use. (We have no land line.) Why is it that SYNC won't use my phone's terms - which I already know? Why does it have to redefine my contacts so that I have no idea what number it's going to call? It's all this extra information I have to keep rattling around this old brain. *This* is why I want a favorites list and not the entire thing...

Last edited by collisionbend; 08-03-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Added a salutation.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #86
fordblue
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97078
What I Drive: used to drive 2012 focus w/dct

FF Reputation: 1 fordblue Good Standing Member
Exclamation the grouch responds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Automatics with torque converters? Suck.

Only one brand is good, ZF. Their 8 speed is damn impressive. And damn expensive since every flagship car from every luxury brand wants It.

A DCT? A sequential box? Makes manuals look like shit. That's just the technology.

If Le Mans, Endurance, DTM, F1, Rally, and all the supercars under the sun are ditching traditional manuals for sequential boxes then I guess it's just fine for me and my hatchback.

Embrace the future.
since the auto tranny was introduced in the caddy in 1959? or there abouts there has not been much changes. If it aint broke dont fix it. So Are you implying that a c-4 is bad ,a 4aod 4aode is bad , a turbo hydro 350-400 is bad. Is a fmx bad? is a c-6 bad? Is a 904-727 bad?. no. In all fairness I got the recall done and its heaps better. Why does this remind me of when fwd first showed up? now its all you can get in a econo car. Thanks to lee iacocca.{spell check}. But I guess in a few years this will be the norm. I think the auto makers{ all of them} are going through a evolution period. just like the switch to fwd. But im a old grouch right? I like being a old grouch. forgot about the powerglide, that sucked Ill give you that one.2 speed.. btw all them motor sports venues you mentioned tear down, inspect and rebuild after every run. But ok ill embrace the future.But since its warranted by fo mo co . Let it break{not that I would want that}. Time will tell.btw the zf is used in heavy equipment. Such as terex, deere, cat, and so on.

Last edited by fordblue; 08-05-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: euclid, michigan front end loaders use zf too.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #87
collisionbend
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Jaclyn, sorry, but I missed the comment about the "gears" - I don't have MFT, just the standard SYNC (my car's only an SE/203A, so I can't have more than that).
Old 08-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #88
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Points 2,125, Level 27
Level Up 84% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Quote:
Jaclyn,

My contacts are handled by my Mac's Address Book and synced with the phone through iTunes. SYNC then picks up what's in my iPhone's Contact List. It doesn't matter if I create the list through Address Book or on the phone itself - SYNC still imports the whole enchilada, and it will still try to call contacts that don't have a phone number. The other thing: my wife, for example, is listed with several numbers: "home" - her cell; "work" - her direct line at work; "mobile" - her work cell phone; "work2" - her office main desk line; and "work3" - her office's toll-free number. When I say, "call Laura," it asks, "on cell, at work, or other?" To SYNC, "other" is her normal cell phone, "work" is the direct line (the only one it gets right), and "cell" is her work cell, which I never use. (We have no land line.) Why is it that SYNC won't use my phone's terms - which I already know? Why does it have to redefine my contacts so that I have no idea what number it's going to call? It's all this extra information I have to keep rattling around this old brain. *This* is why I want a favorites list and not the entire thing...
Quote:
Jaclyn, sorry, but I missed the comment about the "gears" - I don't have MFT, just the standard SYNC (my car's only an SE/203A, so I can't have more than that).
Thanks for the info, collisionbend! Sorry about "the gears" comments, I'm on MyFord Touch overload.

In regards to your contacts, is there a group besides ALL CONTACTS under your SYNC device properties? This can be found under the following:

GENERAL > BLUETOOTH > SYNC > OTHER GROUPS

You'll want to make sure the group you want to SYNC is checked and not ALL CONTACTS.

Let me know what you see.

Jaclyn

Old 08-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #89
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

Points 675, Level 13
Points: 675, Level: 13 Points: 675, Level: 13 Points: 675, Level: 13
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
It would be a useful if we had the option to back up some of those settings to a thumb drive. MFT is a computer after all and they all seem to need a good reset once in awhile. I think I'll submit this idea to Ford Social if somebody else hasn't already.
This would be convenient, but not sure it's a good idea. The idea of a reset is to get rid of any corruption in the files. I think your idea would be similar to if you had a computer with a virus and re-loaded windows to clear the virus, then copied over a back-up of the hard drive and re-introduced the virus.

OTOH - the OEM Ford radio in my 2002 Focus had internal capacitors that would retain presets (but not audio settings) for a few hours if the battery was disconnected - that was a handy feature.

Not sure if it is feasible - but one thing I would like to see is the ability to roll-back and or install any version of MFT - for example - there was a comment in another thread where a member said that MFT 2.x worked better than 3.x, but if he upgraded he wouldn't be able to switch back. It would be nice if Ford had 2.x, 3.x etc. versions of the software on the website with the latest version recommended, so you could use whatever works best for you ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
If the SD card is inserted while MFT is off then it never stops indexing while MFT is on. The work-around is to switch MFT to any source other than the SD card, pop the card out for a few seconds, then pop it back in. Indexing will start again and complete (for me) in a couple minutes then all is well again.
This sounds like a driver issue to me, but then I make my living as a driver validation engineer.
This doesn't surprise me too much - I replaced the OEM radio in the 2002 Focus with a JVC deck with USB and have similar issues - i.e. if I remove the thumb drive and add files to it and plug it back in with the system off, the deck will often say "reading" when I switch to USB and never finish indexing. Removing the drive, turning the JVC off and back on, and then plugging the drive back in with the JVC running solves the problem. Since I figured it out, I only plug the USB stick in with the JVC on if I have changed any files on it. Seems like MFT is doing the same things with the SD card issues.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #90
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
A DCT? A sequential box? Makes manuals look like shit. That's just the technology

Embrace the future.
LOL !!!

Yeah ... embrace the future .... poor shifting, rough shifing, gear hunting, shuddering automatics that are now called DCT's .... some improvement ....

I have no doubt that Ford will get it right .... but it sure as hell aint right now .... and if you think it is ... you're just willing to accept garbage because you don't want to admit your car has teething issues ....

REV

Bookmarks & Social Networks