anyone using premium gas ? - Page 54 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #531
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
All octane does is control how fast the fuel burns. The higher the number the slower and more controlled the burn rate is. which helps engines with higher compression, more boost or more aggressive ignition timing resist detonation under load. Octane in and of itself does nothing for fuel economy or power, all the higher octane does is allow for the engine run more aggressive parameters that generate power (more boost, timing or compression) with a lower risk of engine damage from uncontrolled combustion. which if the engine isn't optimized to take advantage of that higher octane yields no improvement in mileage or power... and may cause loss of both because the fuel is burning slower and may be still burning a significant part of its payload after it leaves the combustion chamber and enters the exhaust manifold or catalytic converter which yields you nothing but a hotter exhaust temp. especially as RPM increases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #532
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
At the moment, I'm getting about 27.5-28 MPG on 93 Octane Shell V Power over the course of a tank of about 95% city/suburb driving, in hot/humid weather (AC used often, especially when it's stop & go traffic where you can't get a good breeze going through the windows), with average to not-quite-hoonish driving habits. This was hand calculated.

During the course of the tank, I eclipsed the 1000 mile mark on my odo, so engine break in is mostly done but 'not quite over', as I know I can expect to see mileage figures climb. In stints where I wasn't subjected to stopping every five feet for a moron who doesn't know 'green means go'/doesn't know how to merge, etc, I saw bouts of 32+ mpg along less traveled, faster roads.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Old 07-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #533
A-to-the-J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99555
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 A-to-the-J Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardSkills View Post
That seems exceptional for using E85. Was it a tank-full?

I tried E-85 when I was living in Colorado for two reasons: A. it was much cheaper; B. I was told that I would gain HP through its use. All I really noticed was the fuel gauge moving a lot faster than with normal petrol.
I've seen very noticeable gains in power when using E85, but that was with a turbo car, I'm not entirely sure if the same gains would be shown on an NA car. Doesn't E85 help your engine run cooler as well? There's no pollution and it smells like Vodka when it burns.

Doing a 350 mile trip, When I gassed up half way through, I was averaging 43mpg and my DTE said ~440ish, with AC on. I thought that was awesome. I'm running 91, it's all we can get in California. I'd love to compare what this car does on 93.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #534
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Went on a fairly long (1000 mile +)road trip last week in Northern Michigan and I had searched pure-gas.org for stations with Ethanol Free gas. Most of it was premium so I was getting ethanol free and higher octane compared to the 87 E10 I have run exclusively for the first 11,000 miles. I did a tank of Marathon 90 octane (they called it "Recreational Fuel"), then the next fill-up was Shell V-Power 91, also E0.

Most of the driving was on rural 2-lane highways with a different weather, and levels of hills, and shorter 70-100 mile runs. So, it was tough to do much highly scientific testing, but I do have some observations.

On straight flat, 55MPH runs, I did not detect and noticeable increase in MPG. It was 40-41 which I have achieved several times before with good weather. What was noticeably different was when I punched the accelerator to pass grandma going 51 in front of me or accelerating up a hill (which I had several in the Upper peninsula of Michigan). I noticed two things. One was better responsiveness to the pedal on the floor and it seemed smoother & quieter at high RPM. The other observation was that these aggressive driving moves did not seem to plummet the MPG meter near as quickly. I am continually hitting the MPG reset on trip 2 so that I can more easily see the MPG effects of different behavior (I need to get a scanguage). I did far more aggressive driving this trip and my numbers were as good as previous trips that were more strict Hypermiler oriented.

Most of my road-trips are usually just my wife & I but this trip, I also had two teens and their luggage so I was about 450 pounds heavier than usual. Even with that added weight, I got 36 and 37 MPG hand calculated tank totals. So, not a lot of controlled science here but my butt-dyno tells me that high-end gas does improve power. Most agree premium results in more power. So, with more aggressive driving you should theoretically be able to do more acceleration with less pedal push = better MPG on the spirited sessions. I'm not convinced the premium would be a financially advantageous (or even break even) move. But the engine did have a noticeable improvement in stress situations.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #535
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Too much octane will waste fuel. The unburnt fuel will go right out your tailpipe.
True, but 10% ethanol has definitely shown a massive negative MPG impact... if, averaged, the net result means we're better off importing more real oil than to turn corn into fuel, then why do the latter since we'd be only wasting more energy more quickly, also noting how oil and petrochemical fertilizers also add into the oil equation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
E85 can have up to 33% less energy content, so you're not likely to gain any power through its use. The only advantage I see is reducing our dependence on Middle-Eastern oil. But the stuff is not good for engines, fuel systems or MPG.
The last I'd read, we were exporting oil, so we can't be too dependent...

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...174452881.html

Weird.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #536
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused1 View Post
The last I'd read, we were exporting oil, so we can't be too dependent...

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...174452881.html

Weird.
Exporting refined oil products back when that story ran anyway.

Quote:
Despite the notion that the U.S. is currently hugely reliant on foreign oil, the country sold 34,000 more barrels of petroleum products a day than it imported in November 2010. And, in both December and February, the U.S. sold 54,000 more barrels a day. Net imports have not been negative for nearly two decades.

Part of this has to do with weak U.S. demand in recent years due to the recession. The other part rests on the growing demand in our own backyard for not only crude oil, but refined oil as well.

Mexico, Latin America and even OPEC member Ecuador are some of the U.S.'s top customers for fuel products, namely refined oil. Rising demand in these countries far outpaces their capacity to refine crude oil into petroleum products like gasoline or diesel fuel.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #537
mustang0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96079
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE HB Sport Package

Points 681, Level 13
Points: 681, Level: 13 Points: 681, Level: 13 Points: 681, Level: 13
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 mustang0 Good Standing Member
Last tank of Mobil Premium I got 35.32 Mpg hand calculated. Mostly going back and forth to work about 28 miles round trip combination city and rural roads. Mobil seems to be a little better than the BP I normally use.
65 Racestang 96 Mustang 2012 Focus SE HB Sport Pac 5 speed man. NewMission Cold Air, lunchbox Delete,Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Steeda STS,Axis wheels, Blox shift knob,Focus elecrtic RMM, Injected 93 Tune V1 176HP 152Torque
Old 07-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #538
ucop27
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97852
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 ucop27 Good Standing Member
The really low (32 mpg) was 87 octane, everything else was 93, tried 87 for giggles and went right back to 93.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using FF Mobile
Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #539
mustang0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96079
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE HB Sport Package

Points 681, Level 13
Points: 681, Level: 13 Points: 681, Level: 13 Points: 681, Level: 13
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 mustang0 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucop27 View Post
The really low (32 mpg) was 87 octane, everything else was 93, tried 87 for giggles and went right back to 93.

That's pretty cool what App is that your using.
65 Racestang 96 Mustang 2012 Focus SE HB Sport Pac 5 speed man. NewMission Cold Air, lunchbox Delete,Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Steeda STS,Axis wheels, Blox shift knob,Focus elecrtic RMM, Injected 93 Tune V1 176HP 152Torque
Old 07-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #540
ucop27
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97852
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 ucop27 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang0 View Post
That's pretty cool what App is that your using.
Fuel log

Bookmarks & Social Networks